Cannot transfer music files to Lumia 950

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking to see if anybody else is experiencing this problem. I have a new Lumia 950 Unlocked Dual Sim. I have an SD card installed that appears to be working properly.
In windows explorer if I want to copy music to either the main music folder on the phone or the music folder on the SD card I get the following error:

Copy error.png

The phone is unlocked with a PIN so it should be able to write to the phone but it doesn't. I am using the USB C cable that came with the phone.

I can create a folder in the music folder, but I cannot copy a file into the newly created folder.

If I try to copy a file into the Saved Pictures folder it works, but if I try copying into the camera roll folder I get the same error.

I have had a Lumia 920 and Lumia 1020 before this an I have never had this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JB Labs

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
It happens to me also. I guess it has something to do with Windows 10 Mobile. My workaround is not to transfer everything at once. Try to transfer only 200 MB or less until you transfer everything. It worked for me.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had problems copying to my SD card as well. I didn't get the same error message you did it just showed "completed" way too quickly for how many songs I was transferring and sure enough only about 1/5th of the songs were actually copied. I decided to just format the SD card again and copy the music using the "sync" feature in the windows phone desktop application. It worked flawlessly that way.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My 950 has a login PIN. If I plug the phone into my PC, but take a little while to open explorer and start copying files, my phone goes back to sleep. I can't copy anything to the phone once this happens. But if I wake it back up and enter the PIN, I can start copying without any problem. Any chance your phone is not accessible when you start copying files?

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I used windows media player to copy/sync music to the SD card on the phone. more than 4 GBs with no problem. But I didn't try copy/paste.

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I figured it out.

I had plugged my phone into my PC's USB 3.0 port which was causing the error. When I plugged into the USB 2.0 port it copies the files no problem.

Interestingly, on my Lumia 1020 running W10 586.29, plugged into my USB 3.0 port I can copy the files no problem.

Can anybody else replicate the problem?

tneconni

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Exact same problem - on USB 3.0 files will begin to transfer and then stop, presenting the same error message as yours, after only a few seconds. Plugged into USB 2.0 it chugs along happily.

So much for the faster file transfer speeds of USB-C and USB 3.0!

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
sounds like either an issue with the cable or the USB port/driver on the pc , or it "could" be the phone too...

I have used the USB 3 port on a Surface Pro2 and Yoga 2 pro (both on windows 10) with large amounts of music and other data with zero issues.

so:
1: Check to make sure the SD Card is authentic? did you format it before placing in the phone?
2: tried another USB 3 cable? If using a 3rd party cable, was it "Benson Leung" approved?
3: tried different USB 3 ports (if you have more than 1)
4: make sure your USB drivers are up to date on your PC? Since we don't know if the PC is a custom build or retail system; came with windows 10 or was upgraded, it's possible that the drivers in place don't play nice. Hit the PC or motherboard manufacturer's site and grab the latest MB/chipset drivers.
5: It's been my experience to do a hard reset (or recovery/hard reset) when I 1st get a phone. When the 950's 1st launched, a few people had issues with the shipped rom on the phone and using WDRT followed with a hard reset smoothed that out a bit.

Heinrich Ulbricht

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Exactly the same problem here - Lumia 950, USB 3.0, Windows 10, same error message when copying mp4 files to the phone ("The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."). Apparently folders can be created, but no files copied.

Plugging the phone into the USB 2.0 port solves the problem. Thanks!

Balazs Bonis

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Had the exact same problem on a Lumia 640 with WP 10 this morning. Very annoying. I restarted the phone because I noticed it did have an system update pending - after booting up again, copying worked again without any problems. Maybe the update blocked access to the file system ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss