I'm at a crossroads

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia Icon and am thinking about upgrading to the Lumia 950. I am also thinking about going with the Iphone 6s. I never had an Iphone before, but I know they are pretty solid. I am hesitant on the 950 since it is new, but I do like the Windows OS.

The thing with the Icon is it seems like Windows does not update the OS very fast with bug fixes or enhancements. Also, the app store is very lacking, especially with banking apps. I do like the wireless charging, the OS and how smooth the phone runs.

The Iphone is solid, but does not have wireless charging which is a minus for me. I do like that it is the first OS to get the newest apps. Again, mainly banking apps.

There doesn't seem to be allot of push for MS to get things moving on the app end. Also, it doesn't look like Verizon will be getting the WP10 which to me is not good for the phone popularity which will hurt getting more apps developed for the OS.

Just not sure which way to go. If I do go with the 950, I have to switch from Verizon to AT&T which is not a bid deal. I think AT&T has better coverage in my area.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The only issue you seem to have.. apps :winktongue:

We obviously can't guarantee that those banking apps will be coming any time soon, so staying and waiting is a gamble. You can always use the mobile websites?

As for wireless charging.. It can be done with a iPhone, you just need a case for it or an external battery pack case could work as well, but that still requires charging with a cable lol

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I say go for the 950. As painful as it is, use the browser for banking. I feel ya, trust me. I don't have my banking app and probably never will but I still love my 950. I have never had a WP before so this is all new to me and I have found it to be a breath of fresh air compared to android. The 950 has a bunch of cool features you won't find on other phones like continuum (however useful that is to you, I don't know), Hello (iris scanner, probably the coolest feature imo), wireless charging, removable battery (iphone does not have it), micro sd card (iphone doesn't have it), and the OS itself. Do what you want, but I say switch to ATT and get the 950. The more people who buy the 950/XL, the better the next phones and (hopefully) the ecosystem will be.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I say go for the 950. As painful as it is, use the browser for banking. I feel ya, trust me. I don't have my banking app and probably never will but I still love my 950. I have never had a WP before so this is all new to me and I have found it to be a breath of fresh air compared to android. The 950 has a bunch of cool features you won't find on other phones like continuum (however useful that is to you, I don't know), Hello (iris scanner, probably the coolest feature imo), wireless charging, removable battery (iphone does not have it), micro sd card (iphone doesn't have it), and the OS itself. Do what you want, but I say switch to ATT and get the 950. The more people who buy the 950/XL, the better the next phones and (hopefully) the ecosystem will be.

I like the way ya think :)

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I totally disagree. Have had Windows Phones for years....and the 950/950XL has the biggest set of difficulties of any new Windows Phone EVER. Right now, Microsoft is releasing computers and phones before they are properly tested. Yes the 950 line is sleek and has a lot of potential great features.....but is not ready.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting the 950. I just didn't like the Iphone interface at all when I looked at it again. When I picked up the 950, it felt so nice and was very responsive. I can't seem to get the Windows Hello to work. I am stuck at the part where you hold the phone directly in front of your eyes, but it isn't doing anything, just sits at that screen.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Did you read the posts about issues with the 950? I'd love one but the battery life alone makes it a non-starter for me.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you read the posts about issues with the 950? I'd love one but the battery life alone makes it a non-starter for me.

Many other users are reporting fine battery life. One common theme is that setting up the phone fresh (without a backup from another phone) and doing a hard reset after taking OTA updates after first boot seems to be the way to avoid the battery drain pitfall.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have an IPhone 6Plus and I pretty much boot it at least once a week or when something doesn't work. Great phone, has all the apps but since I don't play games the bank thing was really my only problem with my 950. I can say that changing to AT&T probably saved you some money since Verizon charges you for Visual Voice Mail as well as Caller ID which seems to be free on AT&T. Insurance is a bit of a loser at first as I believe Verizon has a $99 deductible where AT&T has a larger deductible that keeps dropping in size the longer you have the phone without a mishap.

Rollover minutes came with my plan so that's good. You can always bail by paying off the phone and take it to Tmobile if they happen to build towers in your area and get a much cheaper rate. Something to think about for the near future as they do seem to keep popping up new towers at least around here and where I keep my camper. I think the camera will amaze you and since you sound like a business customer Continuum seems to be to die for. I really am glad I have that. No one has that on their phone. Since Office is already a complete package I move stuff from OneDrive to my other computer all day long.

My battery life is just fine. The last update we all got fixed the battery usage while the phone wasn't being used and it's an all day affair with no problems. And if you ever do have a problem it charges up so fast you won't have much of a problem.

Just my take on your decision... Good luck with your new phone..

MG

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Insurance is a ripoff these days. Phones are almost always repairable for not much more than the deductible, and you don't pay the monthly fee. And, phones are getting tougher and tougher, with gorilla glass and whatnot.

And I agree with others about the battery, starting fresh and giving it a week or so has done wonders. It lasts all day no problem, whereas at first it lasted about half of one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss