Continuum with VGA?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a new 950 in a few weeks and I have a question for you all.

Has anyone tried to connect an good ol' non-HDMI monitor with a USB-C to VGA adaptor to the Lumia 950?
I wonder if Continuum would work on it

Thanks in advance :)

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a new 950 in a few weeks and I have a question for you all.

Has anyone tried to connect an good ol' non-HDMI monitor with a USB-C to VGA adaptor to the Lumia 950?
I wonder if Continuum would work on it

Thanks in advance :)

I don't know if it would work, but why would ever want that?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it would work, but why would ever want that?

older monitors and projectors. not all "business" projectors have HDMI.

Or, you have a monitor with multiple inputs, and want to take advantage of them.

People automatically assume VGA looks like garbage, on the right tube, VGA can be GLORIOUS! (i have 2 21" Sony Trinitron CRTs that support about 1900x1200 (like 21XX x XXXX, I forget the 4x3 res) at over 100Hrtz

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
older monitors and projectors. not all "business" projectors have HDMI.

Or, you have a monitor with multiple inputs, and want to take advantage of them.

People automatically assume VGA looks like garbage, on the right tube, VGA can be GLORIOUS! (i have 2 21" Sony Trinitron CRTs that support about 1900x1200 (like 21XX x XXXX, I forget the 4x3 res) at over 100Hrtz

Vga isn't nearly as glorious as hdmi, or display port. Plus, crt's? In 2015? I don't care what resolution or refresh rate they run, get with the times man! Lol

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Vga isn't nearly as glorious as hdmi, or display port. Plus, crt's? In 2015? I don't care what resolution or refresh rate they run, get with the times man! Lol
You would be surprised how clean of an image a good CRT can give.... Plus, I also have a small army of LCD's as well. So it's not like I use the crts as my primary due to heat...

bbobeckyj

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
So I bought a hdmi>vga cable. It does not work, but the continuum faqs state that it should. So now i don't know if I have a bad cable from eBay or ...?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
hdmi to vga adapters can be iffy. i have one that works fine with a few things, but NOT my blueray player (i guess hdcp) also, the adapter needs to be able to handle the incoming resolution. I have seen a few older adapters peak at 720p or 1080i and fail at 1080p. also quit common with the cheap adapters.

Red920

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I would also be very interested to see if anyone can get this to work... I have my L950 already, but our TV has no HDMi ports - only AV & Scart! And the monitors at work all just have VGA I think. Also I have to wait for my free display dock, which has been delayed from Microsoft. I have asked in many electrical shops about adaptors, but found nothing so far.

bbobeckyj

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
what adapter did you use? have you tried that same adapter with something like a blue-ray player?

I know miracast is supposed to create a wireless HDCP connection, and assume a wired connection would do the same. If the adapter doesn't create an HDCP connection, it may not allow video to pass though.

bbobeckyj

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
what adapter did you use? have you tried that same adapter with something like a blue-ray player?

I know miracast is supposed to create a wireless HDCP connection, and assume a wired connection would do the same. If the adapter doesn't create an HDCP connection, it may not allow video to pass though.
I used an HDMI to VGA cable off eBay. I have not tried it with other/different hardware (that should have been so obvious, I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't thought to do so) but I will when I can and report back.
(Also edited last post as I Ctrl'd L, C & V'd the wrong page)

bbobeckyj

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Last post until my HDMI-DVI cable arrives. The HDMI-VGA cable does not work with other hardware. Despite typing 'HDMI VGA converter adapter cable' into eBay, and selecting one of the best match items, I just looked at the listing, and it states near the bottom- 'THESE CABLES ARE NOT SUITABLE WITH TV, PS3, PS4, SKYBOX TO COMPUTERS AND LAPTOPS BECAUSE THEY LACK THESE CHIP-SETS!!! YOU WOULD NEED TO PURCHASE A HDMI TO VGA CONVERTER ADAPTER.' So that's annoying, and actually the warning is actually ambiguous. But I guess that's my fault for being ignorant of the technology.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
yeah, the cheaper cables don't support HDCP... well, not all do.... i have 1 from dx.com that i ordered years ago and it works with my blueray player, BUT i do not have a continuum dock to use it. maybe i'll hit fry's after star wars tomorrow to see if they have a usb-c to hdmi adapter to test my adapter...

and a quick search later.... this seems tempting....
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=14504&seq=1&format=2

not sure why the board is breaking my link.... but search for product 14504, USB C to usb-c (power) vga and usb. a poor man's vga display dock?!? will it work? no clue.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I tried an Aukey USB-C to VGA adapter (because it was $13 and I use a VGA projector at work occasionally), and it doesn't appear to work. The phone makes the sound to tell me a USB device is recognized, but it never switches to Continuum mode. I haven't tried it with the VGA projector to confirm, only with an LCD monitor and plasma TV so I suppose it could be a resolution problem as well, but I would say it's not looking good.

(That being said, the official display dock doesn't work without power connected, so it's possible the same issue might exist with the VGA cable I'm attempting to use).

For me, the ideal would be something like this "Dell Adapter" though, but since Dell supports Thunderbolt 3 as well, I have no idea if it'd even work. USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet (which unfortunately doesn't work with W10M), VGA (maybe the same?), HDMI, and USB 3.0: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=470-ABQN. Personally, I have little need for the Display Dock's Displayport.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss