What's wrong with my Lumia 950?!

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
In the past few days, the following things have happened.....

-Email notifications no longer show up on my lock screen or the email tile. They used to, now they don't. All the setting are unchanged.
-I get notifications that my phone is running out of storage space. I'm using 6GB out of 32, AND I have a 32GB card installed.
-Battery drains like someone shot a hole in it. Even plugged in to the USB port on my computer, it's slowly dying. This, of course, makes the back hot to the touch.
-I can't attach pictures to text messages anymore.

I'm not enrolled in any preview program, I didn't install anything strange, I didn't receive any notification updates, just business as usual until things went bad.

Could someone please enlighten me on how to fix this? If your answer is going to be "hard reset" or something like that, please be kind enough to tell me how to do it.

Any help I can get, I sure would appreciate.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Install Windows Device Recovery Tool, connect your phone to a computer, open WDRT >> select your phone and select reinstall firmware. Be connected online while you are doing so.

What it does is to wipe off your device and reinstall the factory firmware again. make sure you remove your MicroSD card, SIM card and backup your phone's data somewhere before you do so.

Eyefink

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
This EXACT thing happened to me as well; it even stays warm constantly like I've been using it. I guess I'll have to try to recover it, but it seems drastic to wipe the phone. Not to mention, if it's a bad update it'll just happen again

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hard reset and install build .29 via insider program. Hard reset can be found in settings system phone information (or how it is called in english)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset and install build .29 via insider program. Hard reset can be found in settings system phone information (or how it is called in english)

The latest official update has been pulled, for the 950 and XL.

I wouldn't recommend installing it via the insider programme yet.

jswantek, try what Pankaj981 has suggested and let us know in this thread if that helps :).

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Not only .29 is back, but it's clearly not the "final" TH2 build (and Terry Myerson has not stated W10 mobile is out yet).

Plus a new firmware is due more or less this week.

i haven't switched to my 950 yet (only using it for photography) and I'm sure these first glitches will be solved.

MXI

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Both my wife and I are having the same problems with our 950s and started 2-3 days ago. Crazy battery drain, app updates are stuck, and out of storage messages when there is plenty left. This is bizarre. The phones were working great for the first few weeks.

Tim Maggi

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me TWICE! I did a hard reset. worked great for a few days and then blam, back to apps not updating, notices of low storage even though there is plenty, and my battery again is dying steadily. Also, the .29 update is available but will not download. WTF!? I am thoroughly disappointed with win10mobile. I am a die hard MS fan boy through adn through. However, Im getting quite fed up with my friends all having no issues with their phones while there is ALWAYS some downfall to mine. IE missing apps. I love this phone but how did they not know this problem would happen?

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so, I ended up having to download the device recovery tool and doing a hard reset on my phone. When I did that, I got a ton of updates including the new ".29" update, and everything is now working fine.

I did restore a backup from my phone, it made recreating everything easier, and I had no problems with it.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My 950 is on build 29 and I've only had the battery drain issue twice since launch day when I bought it from AT&T. This issue seems to be linked either to Windows Hello or the hanging Messaging app for me. Both times my phone battery drained very quickly the red light (Iris scanner) was lit while my phone screen was off and the other time, it was "Resuming" after I received a text message and I was curious to see how long the "resuming" text was going to stay on the screen. I have not experienced any of the other issues that the others spoke about at all but....(explained later) The notification bug in my messaging app completely disappeared after my hard reset (after I downloaded build 11). But (here it is), I've reported choppy video performance since build 29 and I'm really hoping that MSFT will fix this before Christmas. I've had to pull out the old 1080i camcorder for the last couple of family events this week due to this problem. I also think it is weird that the Files app can't see my USB drives using an OTG adapter but the Storage App can. Other than these issues, it has been a gravy train for me. I definitely love this phone more than my 1020 and I really didn't think that could be possible because my 1020 was the best phone a gearhead could have hoped for (besides the slow launching camera) - I just never experienced any of the issues that so many others in our community spoke of, including three friends of mine.

My 950 is enrolled in the Insider program, by the way.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Update on my issues - been about a day with the .29 update and it appears to have resolved my issues.

.39 looks to work even better on my 950, smooth silk. Since it was sent to slow ring too it should be a sign that it is more stable too. (I'm at 51%, from 8a.m. to 17 p.m. , not crazy good but good).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3