Navigation bar burn-in?

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
The issue has nothing to do with the price, no matter how expensive the device is this will happen eventually. It's AMOLED technology and this right here is the reason why I personally like the IPS displays better.
You can play around with your brightness settings and pick darker color themes to slow down the degradation process but that's about it. It's normal.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So I noticed something else that is interesting and may be related. If I open a calendar event on my 950 (see screenshot), the horizontal lines on the "Invite someone" text box bleed out to the edges of the screen. I don't see this on my 920 or if I view the screenshot on my desktop.

I can see similar bleeding on the Start screen along tile boundaries, the "To" field in Messaging and the chat box in WhatsApp. I'm not sure if these are related to the image retention issue, but all of this leads me to believe that it's some kind of software issue.

wp_ss_20151217_0005.png

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this will show up...

WP_20151218_03_29_46_Pro_LI.jpg

Eh it kinda does. Hard to capture with my 640. I can see all three buttons on a blue background. They do fade a bit, but seem to remain visible. I can mess with it tomorrow to see if they completely fade away eventually.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this will show up...

View attachment 119091

Eh it kinda does. Hard to capture with my 640. I can see all three buttons on a blue background. They do fade a bit, but seem to remain visible. I can mess with it tomorrow to see if they completely fade away eventually.
Can you use Macro option while snapping, it could produce a clear image. I have a Lumia 730 and usually I hide the nav bar whilst not in use. Also switch to a black background for lockscreen to avoid burn-ins, I'm using awesome lockscreen and do note to turn off gradient color option and select solid color background using black.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Lumia 950 home, afraid to open it now. Is the burn in so fast?

It's just not technically feasible for that to happen so early, unless screens are damaged. At&t reviews are all good and no one mentioned this.. Some people say it goes away if they move bar up and down. It could be drivers for the transparent effects or who knows. Although I don't get out on my xl, it is running a different firmware apparently.

My nav bar is also teal.

zorbabic

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
So I noticed something else that is interesting and may be related. If I open a calendar event on my 950 (see screenshot), the horizontal lines on the "Invite someone" text box bleed out to the edges of the screen. I don't see this on my 920 or if I view the screenshot on my desktop.

I can see similar bleeding on the Start screen along tile boundaries, the "To" field in Messaging and the chat box in WhatsApp. I'm not sure if these are related to the image retention issue, but all of this leads me to believe that it's some kind of software issue.

View attachment 119088

Yes, it's visible on my 950 also, but I don't think this is related to burn in, rather the line takes most of the witdh and the remaining dots in that line get over/under iluminated.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
It's just not technically feasible for that to happen so early, unless screens are damaged. At&t reviews are all good and no one mentioned this.. Some people say it goes away if they move bar up and down. It could be drivers for the transparent effects or who knows. Although I don't get out on my xl, it is running a different firmware apparently.

My nav bar is also teal.

People could have been sent retail demo models - my sisters first 620 arrived (in a box) with WP8 preview software on it (fake contacts, fake email accounts, etc) and all protective stickers removed as if it had been out on display.

If the 950's have oversold, they could be sending out used seconds stock to meet the demand at short notice.

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
People could have been sent retail demo models - my sisters first 620 arrived (in a box) with WP8 preview software on it (fake contacts, fake email accounts, etc) and all protective stickers removed as if it had been out on display.

If the 950's have oversold, they could be sending out used seconds stock to meet the demand at short notice.

That would be a ****ty move though. Have At&t ever done this previously?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Based on what I'm reading, I don't think it's burn in. My old iPad 2 has always done this odd thing where when I close a browser, for example, I can continue to see the after image on the home screen for some time. I don't think the image even fades until I either turn off the device or open another app. So even if it's a hardware issue it's a temporary one.

From what I know of OLEDs they shouldn't burn in anywhere near this quickly. Blue is the color that tends to fade more quickly and to reach have it's original brightness it has to run for 14k hours, or 5 years at 8 hours a day. But a lot of this information goes back at least 5 years so things should have improved in the intervening years.

If these panels are suffering burn in within the first month then there must have been some manufacturing flaw.

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
If I use my 950 with Oled around 3-5 hours a day reading websites and messaging, how long does a oled screen hold before it starts to show burn in?

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I saw lots of burn in on the display phone at AT&T. That was Sunday after Thanksgiving, and the nav bar and all the languages from when you first turn the phone on were burned into the screen really noticeably. I would be disappointed if that was happening to my new $600 phone.

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I saw lots of burn in on the display phone at AT&T. That was Sunday after Thanksgiving, and the nav bar and all the languages from when you first turn the phone on were burned into the screen really noticeably. I would be disappointed if that was happening to my new $600 phone.

Well thats the typical problem for all OLED phones, even Samsung. Only iPhone does not suffer from this

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
... and many other Lumias. In fact all those, which are having a LCD screen...

True, but Microsoft and Samsung and other manufactures tend to use these bad displays. We cant really do anything against it. Other than not buying their products.

I just hate being stuck on my beloved 640. Its so slow and the camera is soooo good on 950

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I think hiding them by flicking up and down (if that is still a thing in WM10) is probably the best bet. If they aren't there all the time and you're constantly moving screen elements up and down, any burning will take twice as long to notice.

Here's my old Lumia 900's screen as a point of reference - that's IE's navigation bar and the page refresh button on the left. Its only really noticeable on white and blue screens - i've taken a photo on white because its a little easier to see contrast. You might need to view the image at full size to notice.

View attachment 119052

I had this same problem on a Lumia 925 as well! As I mostly used dark mode for everything I only noticed it on lighter backgrounds.

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I really wonder why they use this type of screen in high end phones (both samsung and microsoft). Its clearly that these phones are not made for being kep for years.

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Surely having Glance Screen (with a photo background) and Lock Screen set to a quick time like one minute would help with this. Having Glance on a setting like 15 minutes which would then just turn off the display, preventing burn in.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That would be a ****ty move though. Have At&t ever done this previously?

Could be accidental though - the 620 wasn't too popular and they had a ton of stock when we made the purchase. This was in New Zealand though, so I have no idea if AT&T would do something like that deliberately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo