Navigation bar burn-in?

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I'm just seeing things, but I'm starting to notice very faint ghosting of the Start button on my navigation bar. It's usually noticeable only when the navigation bar is hidden and the background is white, the location of the Start button is dimmer than pure white. Anyone else notice this? Is the AMOLED screen already starting to burn in? (I don't even use my phone that much and my brightness is pretty low)

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'm just seeing things, but I'm starting to notice very faint ghosting of the Start button on my navigation bar. It's usually noticeable only when the navigation bar is hidden and the background is white, the location of the Start button is dimmer than pure white. Anyone else notice this? Is the AMOLED screen already starting to burn in? (I don't even use my phone that much and my brightness is pretty low)

Really? Gee - my first AMOLED phone only started burning in navigation buttons after three years. Can you snap a few photos of your screen for us to see? If the panel really is dying that quick, i'd get that phone replaced asap.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Really? Gee - my first AMOLED phone only started burning in navigation buttons after three years. Can you snap a few photos of your screen for us to see? If the panel really is dying that quick, i'd get that phone replaced asap.

Mine isn't visible enough to capture with any of the other cameras I have, my 950 is my best one. I can see the windows logo, but only when actually looking for it.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you need to look really hard (and at the right angle) to notice it, it's unlikely that even a decent camera could capture it. But given that the phone is barely a month old, I'm worried about how long the display will last.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if there are diagnostic apps for the 950's - if not try find red, blue and green solid color images and view them full screen. AMOLED screens often wear out blue subpixels first - if this is the case you'll most likely see the ghosting more on the blue slides.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems the navigation bar needs to be up for a little while then you can see it.
I kind of noticed that too and it's really weird because true burn-in wouldn't go away after a while.

AMOLED screens often wear out blue subpixels first - if this is the case you'll most likely see the ghosting more on the blue slides.
So what's interesting is that my navigation bar itself is completely blue (my accent colour is blue) yet I don't notice ghosting on the bar, only the Windows icon.

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Keep us up to date guys. This is my first AMOLED phone and so far I have enjoyed it. I'd hate to find out that this is an issue.
Perhaps we should submit to the Windows Phone team as a suggestion to change the color of the Navigation buttons.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Keep us up to date guys. This is my first AMOLED phone and so far I have enjoyed it. I'd hate to find out that this is an issue.
Perhaps we should submit to the Windows Phone team as a suggestion to change the color of the Navigation buttons.

I think hiding them by flicking up and down (if that is still a thing in WM10) is probably the best bet. If they aren't there all the time and you're constantly moving screen elements up and down, any burning will take twice as long to notice.

Here's my old Lumia 900's screen as a point of reference - that's IE's navigation bar and the page refresh button on the left. Its only really noticeable on white and blue screens - i've taken a photo on white because its a little easier to see contrast. You might need to view the image at full size to notice.

WP_20151217_20_53_51_Pro.jpg

Buenri

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
The Windows logo is also burnt in on my Lumia 950. With white background you can see its ghost. The cell just has one week... I am quite annoyed with the phone, battery does not last more tan half a day, screen burn in... what else...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 950 going on a month now. I created solid white, red, green and blue images to test this and saw no signs at all of burn in.

I'd be curious to know how often you guys use the phone throughout the day or the variety of apps you use. Most of my prolonged use is for gaming, where the whole display is changing frequently. Otherwise, I'm using the phone in short bursts throughout the day.

It would also be interesting to know the supplier for the 950/950XL display and if that's a factor in longevity. I assume some companies produce better AMOLED panels than others.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So I notice this too, ever so slightly, when I display a bright white image.

Is there a setting somewhere to make the buttons less intense? You can make the navbar match the accent color but regardless the buttons are still bright white. I actually would prefer them a dark gray, almost but not quite invisible, on the black background.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
That's not even possible so early on. Go to images find a white image in internet explorer. Go into landscape mode and see if you see it. I honestly don't see how it can be possible with the 950/950xl especially so early on. It has a pentile diamond matrix to help prevent this. And the lifetime of these oleds is long. You would have to be pumping quite a lot voltage to them over time.

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I can see the effect on my 950, but its more like image retention than burn in. For me its only (just) visible on dark grey backgrounds after hiding the nav bar and only when on high brightness. If I repeatedly bring the action centre down, so the bottom bar moves over the area many times, the image fades and vanishes.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I think I can see the effect on my 950, but its more like image retention than burn in. For me its only (just) visible on dark grey backgrounds after hiding the nav bar and only when on high brightness. If I repeatedly bring the action centre down, so the bottom bar moves over the area many times, the image fades and vanishes.

That would mean there's some refresh rate issue. which is odd. It's as if some pixels are staying in a state constantly. Wonder if this could cause some battery drain which people complain about.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I can see the effect on my 950, but its more like image retention than burn in.
It seems like a little bit of both, it does fade out rapidly after hiding the nav bar, but it doesn't disappear completely and I can still see a very faint ghost image. I hope this is just a display driver issue that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786