How many of you 950 guys came from Verizon and did your date usage go up?

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I left Verizon and my HTC One for Windows. I've noticed my data seems to just fly through on AT&T despite not having changed my habits at all. Does AT&T do some kind of data billing that I'm not aware of or is the phone doing something? I have no battery issues at all. In fact today is the first day on the new 36 update and it's now almost midnight and I'm still at 31%. I've always done anything to do with uploading new apps from WiFi. It was unusual to go over 1/2 of 1 gig of my 2 gig allotment on Verizon. (I have an IPhone 6 Pls on Tmobile for most of my casual reading and they are always cheap.) I am on it off and on all day and lots of text messages. I slowed down on the amount of Pandora I generally use on the 950 but wondering what is the difference.

EDIT: Found what I was looking for on the web. Apparently AT&T is really a scam outfit that forces you to turn off your cellular data when you are home as it chooses to use your cellular data over your home WiFi depending I guess on the type of your phone. I am not sure if the 950 might be killing this but apparently for some people this is exactly what happens. I deleted all of their junk apps as they all insisted on using only cellular data and instructed you to turn off your WiFi which contradicts what is below in the article. Maybe the 950 is causing it some problems. That would be a good thing. As a final addition to this post I can say that my phone tells me that my data usage is just like it was on Verizon. At this point my phone says I've used almost 200 MB's of data. My AT&T app tells me I've used 1.2 gigs with only 15 days left in plan. Anyone else seeing a huge discrepancy?

Hit With AT&T Data Overage Fees? Here's the Scam & the Stupid Fix - Jirout

Thanks..

MG

Last edited:

PHughes

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
That has nothing to do with AT&T, it has to do with iOS and their "WIFI Assist" option. When the option is selected, it assists the WIFI connection making downloads quicker. It is a well know issue with iOS and overage charges.

I use my WIFI on AT&T on my current Blackberry and don't have overage issues. I would be interested in finding out why you had issues since I am considering the Lumia 950.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
That has nothing to do with AT&T, it has to do with iOS and their "WIFI Assist" option. When the option is selected, it assists the WIFI connection making downloads quicker. It is a well know issue with iOS and overage charges.

I use my WIFI on AT&T on my current Blackberry and don't have overage issues. I would be interested in finding out why you had issues since I am considering the Lumia 950.

As I said. The article mentions many instances where the IPhone wasn't involved. The Lumia 950 also is calling AT&T a liar as the actual data it counts including a little bit of last month is right at 200 mb's. (Pretty much what my Verizon data always ran at.) AT&T on the other hand has my cellular data for just this month at 5 times the amount showing on their little APP with now 14 days left. (Just looked at it.)

PHughes

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
As I said. The article mentions many instances where the IPhone wasn't involved. The Lumia 950 also is calling AT&T a liar as the actual data it counts including a little bit of last month is right at 200 mb's. (Pretty much what my Verizon data always ran at.) AT&T on the other hand has my cellular data for just this month at 5 times the amount showing on their little APP with now 14 days left. (Just looked at it.)

My guess is that it is the phone, and the OS, and not AT&T. As I said, I am on AT&T, as is my wife, and we don't have the issue. She is using an S4 and I have a Blackberry Z10. She never goes over her plan's limit, and my usage is ridiculously low despite using it all day. I'm usually under a gig. I stay on WIFI when home despite having an unlimited plan.

Look to see what is using data in the background.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that it is the phone, and the OS, and not AT&T. As I said, I am on AT&T, as is my wife, and we don't have the issue. She is using an S4 and I have a Blackberry Z10. She never goes over her plan's limit, and my usage is ridiculously low despite using it all day. I'm usually under a gig. I stay on WIFI when home despite having an unlimited plan.

Look to see what is using data in the background.

The Lumia 950 itself gives you a report on the cellular data used as well as the WiFi data used and it's normal. It's AT&T that is coming up with the bogus numbers. That was my point. Please re-read my original post. I will stop by their store tonight or tomorrow and ask them why the discrepancy?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I came from Verizon, from a 1Gb plan to 2GB with AT&T. My data usage has gone down but that could just be a product of my being more conscious of it. The last few months of my Verizon contract I reduced my data allotment and had to train myself to shut off cellular data when I didn't need it. I get a ton of automated emails from work and they were tearing through that 1gb quickly. The extra gig from AT&T has probably helped as well.

PHughes

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
The Lumia 950 itself gives you a report on the cellular data used as well as the WiFi data used and it's normal. It's AT&T that is coming up with the bogus numbers. That was my point. Please re-read my original post. I will stop by their store tonight or tomorrow and ask them why the discrepancy?

Okay, all I am saying, is that I am on AT&T as is my wife, and we don't share this issue. I'm sorry you're having problems and I hope you get it sorted out.

madsedan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing recently. My family is not doing anything drastically different but in the last year we went from handling 5gb normally and only going over a couple times a year to consistently bumping 15gb each month since they upgraded us. Something is definitely fishy here. We have also compared our phones to what AT&T records and it doesn't match, not even close. When I called about it all the did was bump us up to 20gb a month for no extra cost.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Talked to AT&T support today about the discrepancies in the two data reports. He bailed on it saying he'd have to have the phone. I went to the store late this afternoon and here's what I was told.

By default the Lumia 950 has the switch asking for help if needed to find good internet signal using cellular data switched to "On" if needed. It's in your Data settings and it appears to say the opposite of what you'd want. Here's a screen shot of what you want it to say. To me it looks to be already selected to "Allow" but the way it's set up if it was wrong it would say "Don't Allow"... My guess is battery life will be impacted if it's not constantly searching for a data signal while on WiFi.

WindowsPhoneSs.jpg

He didn't have an answer as to why the phone itself shows such a small amount of data being used by me and my friend who works for Microsoft is calling BS already. More on that possibly tomorrow since both of us live within a mile of this huge AT&T store.

Anyway.. Apparently if these switches are on it will start to use data from cellular at any moment it isn't happy with the quality of the Internet at your house.. Or as the AT&T salesman assured me.. "in order to insure you an absolutely great signal to your phone.."

Not sure what to believe at this point but if the data starts to behave I'll be happy to be done with this...

MG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro