Pictures taken with the 950 are disappointing :(

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thing is that the promos showed a level of detail and zoom, on the 950, that looked better than the 1020... This just isn't the case, even after all the updates that messed up the picture quality of the 1020.

Did a few test pictures now though, and I do think the 950 has a better over all camera. Hope they get the recrop function going again. I really miss it, and used it all the time on the 1020.

Doesn't the 1020 have like 40 megapixels are something? How could you possibly expect to get the same crop?

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Anybody actually tried the DNGs that the camera app on the 950 produces?

Imported in Lightroom, they look pretty disappointing: pale, noisy, lack of detail. Compared to the JPG of the same shot from the camera (using JPG + DNG setting). I have to apply *a lot* of corrections and noise reduction and sharpening to get anywhere near the JPGs. The only time the DNG provided some value was a shot where the area around the sun was overblown, there I could see that there is actually more detail in the DNG, but still - so much work to get to this result.

I'm used to work with Nikon NRW files and this is a complete different story.

A camera profile for the new Phones for Lightroom might help. Hello, Microsoft?

The file is "Raw" after all. Raw steak is unappetizing until you process it on a grill with some seasoning to it.

stoneshop

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
This a picture of one of my cats. Indoors, low light, flash on, rich capture on, Windows Camera. Shutter speed 1/10, f/1,9, ISO 250.

WP_20151219_15_13_20_Rich3.jpg

This is a crop of her left eye. Mark the little hair in the corner of her eye. This picture is a full crop. So it has not been downsized.

WP_20151219_15_13_20_Rich (2).jpg

Maybe the 1020 is even better but this seems pretty good to me.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
This a picture of one of my cats. Indoors, low light, flash on, rich capture on, Windows Camera. Shutter speed 1/10, f/1,9, ISO 250.

View attachment 119248

This is a crop of her left eye. Mark the little hair in the corner of her eye. This picture is a full crop. So it has not been downsized.

View attachment 119247

Maybe the 1020 is even better but this seems pretty good to me.

Very well, very well.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I know very little about photography so this might be redundant for those in here, but being a complete noob there are few things I have learnt:
1. There is a difference between a full size crop and 'zoom'. The photos from Microsoft, like the OP mentions, where you can see the individual hairs are a full size crop, so basically just viewing the photo at full resolution. In a photo editing application, or even Windows Photo Viewer, you can zoom in well beyond full resolution and at this point the photos will look grainy and lose detail.

2. You need good lighting to get good detail and reduced grain. Those photos from Microsoft were set up in the best possible lighting and other conditions.

3. You need to choose the JPG + DNG option if you want the image without processing and compression, i.e. as it came in from the sensor. Then you can edit the DNG yourself and apply sharpening, colour correction, filters, etc. to get the image you want. For someone who knows what they are doing this should give the best photos.

4. I think the OP would really like to see something taken by regular 950 users like this photo: http://az648995.vo.msecnd.net/devices/2015/10/WP_20150922_15_56_52_Pro.jpg and I think stoneshop has done that with the photos of his cat

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I find Windows Camera jpegs to be overly sharpened with some pixels left white sometimes while Lumia Camera produced pictures made out of dots-like pattern which created a beautiful more detailed photo combined with good noise reduction. While now it all seems messed up. I'll have to revert back to 8.1 to use Lumia Camera again thought. On the second place I would place ProShot and I'm patiently waiting for Windows 10 version.

So I'm guessing that this would be the reason some people complain...

which phone are you talking about? how you would revert to 8.1?

Dot Matrix

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who has seen a decline in image quality since the Camera v 2015.1215.41.0 update? All my JPEGs look like you're looking through haze, and all my DNGs are EXTREMELY noisy. None of this was happening before the update a few days back.

For example:
WP_20151220_20_59_00_Raw_LI__highres_thumb.jpg

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who has seen a decline in image quality since the Camera v 2015.1215.41.0 update? All my JPEGs look like you're looking through haze, and all my DNGs are EXTREMELY noisy. None of this was happening before the update a few days back.

For example:
View attachment 119266

From the looks of it the ISO is being set sky-high to deal with the low-light. Try locking the ISO and letting the camera do the rest in auto and see if that helps.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
which phone are you talking about? how you would revert to 8.1?

From the start I'm saying that there's a chance that the reason that photos from L950 sucks sometimes is because of the Windows Camera app problems that effects every phone. Not that this is pure speculation, it's just that I was looking at some camera samples and noticed the same way of post processing. And it has been like this since the introduction of the app, it is now way better, yet still not on pair with Lumia app.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

For example:
View attachment 119266

Give us a before/after comparison please. This just looks like you are trying to get a super low light photo and put a lot of detail in it. Depending on the light situation this photo could be impressingly good or impressingly bad.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
dont know why people get aggressive for no reason...by the way..i will try to upload some pictures when i can..but maybe my expectations were too high or im just a very bad "photographer"... i actually bought this phone because of that conference..i was amazed when they zoomed in the photo and u could see the facial hairs..

anyway thank you for your replies..for the kind replies at least..and i know that without proofs this thread is stupid..sorry about that its my first time to post..i just didnt want to post my blurred pictures cuz they are personal/private..i dont want to put online my friend's faces...so i guess i have to shoot them again..and lets see the result..

Merry Christmas to all.. except for that guy that he felt i punched him in the face with this thread...just calm down..

No one got aggressive in this thread don't be a drama queen :)

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
ImageUploadedByWindows Central Forums1450783590.397903.jpgdefinitely think maybe your phone is defective or you're not focusing correctly or something. The camera on the 950 is awesome. Check this picture of my dog out, zoom in on the nose and look at the detail

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Picture quality is exactly why I am hesitant to leave my Lumia 1020 for the 950. I have come to depend on the quality of the pictures like the OP. It would be a step down. I guess I have to wait, yet again, for a true 1020 replacement.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
well that is just a photo taken buy some guy at home without much of effort into taking a photo.. so just what 90% of smartphone users do when they take a photo.. else they would carry a proper cam with them

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb