Pictures taken with the 950 are disappointing :(

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
As some people mention try using alternate camera app, windows camera has problem with autofocus and post processing resulting in crap pictures unless you use fully manual setting, but sometimes you just want to snap something quickly in auto obviously. Personally I use pro shot on my lumia 920 with windows 10 and it help a lot, still current proshot is written for windows 8.1 and Microsoft changed some APIs in windows 10 mobile so the app isn't optimised yet. RiseUpGames developer of proshot is a member here on community and he is assuring windows 10 app os coming, the only problem is microsoft is still not allowing to open third party apps with press of camera button; Microsoft should either enable it or sort out their camera app quickly.

Ygglens

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
To get that level of details you need lots of light. Are you sure you have tested the camera in bright daylight?
Anyways, the 1020 has twice the MP.. Of course it will be able to zoom in on details a lot better than the 950.

Also try to adjust the ISO manually.

Thing is that the promos showed a level of detail and zoom, on the 950, that looked better than the 1020... This just isn't the case, even after all the updates that messed up the picture quality of the 1020.

Did a few test pictures now though, and I do think the 950 has a better over all camera. Hope they get the recrop function going again. I really miss it, and used it all the time on the 1020.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
well..im disappointed then..everyone is saying that the camera is super awesome..well it is not then..coming from a 1020 i used to crop my pictures..now i really cant even look at zoom in pictures for they are too ugly..and blurry photos..the subject has to be still like a statue..

Why don't you post some photo instead?

By the looks of it you are complaining about jpeg compression :p

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
As some people mention try using alternate camera app, windows camera has problem with autofocus and post processing resulting in crap pictures unless you use fully manual setting, but sometimes you just want to snap something quickly in auto obviously. Personally I use pro shot on my lumia 920 with windows 10 and it help a lot, still current proshot is written for windows 8.1 and Microsoft changed some APIs in windows 10 mobile so the app isn't optimised yet. RiseUpGames developer of proshot is a member here on community and he is assuring windows 10 app os coming, the only problem is microsoft is still not allowing to open third party apps with press of camera button; Microsoft should either enable it or sort out their camera app quickly.

Thank you, someone gets it.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Since everybody directly uses jpeg for viewing and sharing, it's not an excuse to have an awful outcome.

Please tell me where I stated it is ok to have an awful outcome? I do not have awful outcomes with jpeg and standard windows camera, my pictures look amazing. I'm just saying that he is complaining that zooming a lot is not showing the single pixels like in the adverts material, and that is expected and normal.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me where I stated it is ok to have an awful outcome? I do not have awful outcomes with jpeg and standard windows camera, my pictures look amazing. I'm just saying that he is complaining that zooming a lot is not showing the single pixels like in the adverts material, and that is expected and normal.

It's just that it seems people have diffrent expectations..

For me personally Lumia Camera did a better job and zooming in was an easy task as it actually kept enough detail.

With Windows Camera.. Not so much. Post processing is awful now. Sorry I didnt meant to be so directed at you. I just think it's pointless to defend Windows Camera performance if it clearly isn't on pair with something people were used to.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I think there is nothing wrong with Lumia's sensors, its just that Camera software Currently sucks. So dont worry about it so much.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Samples or it doesn't exist.

Second that. Every picture I take with my 950 comes out amazing. I have seen no evidence of bad pictures from the ones complaining.

I can only compare it to my previous 930. Even with the Lumia Camera that people seem to miss, the pictures I got from that phone was nothing against the pics from the 950.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Second that. Every picture I take with my 950 comes out amazing. I have seen no evidence of bad pictures from the ones complaining.

I can only compare it to my previous 930. Even with the Lumia Camera that people seem to miss, the pictures I got from that phone was nothing against the pics from the 950.

This isn't to say bad devices are not out there and that means, return and replace. Basic stuff. But you have a device and make claims like the 950 I have and the other posters that have them are being less than truthful, that requires more than flapping gums.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
It's really easy to try it yourself :D its even more convincing. Alright :)

If we are asking for a sample maybe it is because we want to understand what people are talking about, we have a lumia 950 and pictures with windows camera look great (I had a 920 and a 930) so I'd like to understand why you and others are disappointed.

If we are talking about extreme zooming in jpeg compressed photos, the normal consumer and I couldn't care less, for example...

There ia a great comparison review of 930 1020 and 950, google it. Shots are taken on auto jpeg and there are no such issues. So without pictures this thread is just about nothing.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
If we are asking for a sample maybe it is because we want to understand what people are talking about, we have a lumia 950 and pictures with windows camera look great (I had a 920 and a 930) so I'd like to understand why you and others are disappointed.

If we are talking about extreme zooming in jpeg compressed photos, the normal consumer and I couldn't care less, for example...

There ia a great comparison review of 930 1020 and 950, google it. Shots are taken on auto jpeg and there are no such issues. So without pictures this thread is just about nothing.

I find Windows Camera jpegs to be overly sharpened with some pixels left white sometimes while Lumia Camera produced pictures made out of dots-like pattern which created a beautiful more detailed photo combined with good noise reduction. While now it all seems messed up. I'll have to revert back to 8.1 to use Lumia Camera again thought. On the second place I would place ProShot and I'm patiently waiting for Windows 10 version.

So I'm guessing that this would be the reason some people complain...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And to prove that im not making things up, when Windows Camera first came up, there was forum thread after thread about it's quality compared to Lumia Camera. It did improve alot thought.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm in getting some amazing pics from my 950.

Of course, I'm sure some of that is due to the quad-HD display versus the 720p of my old 830.

Jens Ansorg

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
you should shoot raw and using manual settings..

Anybody actually tried the DNGs that the camera app on the 950 produces?

Imported in Lightroom, they look pretty disappointing: pale, noisy, lack of detail. Compared to the JPG of the same shot from the camera (using JPG + DNG setting). I have to apply *a lot* of corrections and noise reduction and sharpening to get anywhere near the JPGs. The only time the DNG provided some value was a shot where the area around the sun was overblown, there I could see that there is actually more detail in the DNG, but still - so much work to get to this result.

I'm used to work with Nikon NRW files and this is a complete different story.

A camera profile for the new Phones for Lightroom might help. Hello, Microsoft?

Ron MIkhail

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
dont know why people get aggressive for no reason...by the way..i will try to upload some pictures when i can..but maybe my expectations were too high or im just a very bad "photographer"... i actually bought this phone because of that conference..i was amazed when they zoomed in the photo and u could see the facial hairs..

anyway thank you for your replies..for the kind replies at least..and i know that without proofs this thread is stupid..sorry about that its my first time to post..i just didnt want to post my blurred pictures cuz they are personal/private..i dont want to put online my friend's faces...so i guess i have to shoot them again..and lets see the result..

Merry Christmas to all.. except for that guy that he felt i punched him in the face with this thread...just calm down..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb