How can I get a Pop Mail account on my Lumia 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Pop Mail account on Lumia 950

Recently purchased the Lumia 950 and while enjoying the experience of Windows mobile overall there are a few things I find restrictive. Perhaps it is just my lack of experience with the system and you can help.

I generally prefer a pop account. However, the lack of being an ability to manually set ports is making it difficult to set up my accounts. In fact that it is not an entirely setting IMAP account either.

I have seen a variety of suggests but they do not always work. Can someone tell me how to set an email port manually?

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Pop Mail account on Lumia 950

Thanks, but do not think that answers the question. I do not use outlook.com mail. my issue is with other email addresses, in particular, my own .com domains.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

So why not transfer your email to be administered by IMAP instead. POP is considered to be largely obsolete these days, which is why it's not being supported that much.

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

Thanks but that was not quite my point. However, using a suggestion of the server name with the addition of ":port number:0." as suggested in another post has worked but not every time. Or is that in fact the proper way to do it?

I also saw somewhere the addition of POP. before the server name, but that is the actual info from the ISP is just the domain name, or am I reading that incorrectly as well?

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

I would guess there are many variables that would come into play, not the least of which would be your ISP. All I can tell you is what my situation is. In my case I have several emails, two using email service provided by my ISP and several using two personal domains for business. In the case of ISP provided, when I try to set up the pop the ISP email, it works, but sets it up as an IMAP account. (Not the end of the world but not the intention). When I try to set up the personal domains, it does not set up any account in the pop set up. I need to use the advanced, which is fine, but it only works for IMAP (again , not the end of the world), but outgoing does not work unless I go back in and change outgoing server to server name and add :port number:0 - let's say smithinc.com:567:0 - but it does not work every time and not for incoming server.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos