Mircosoft Lumia 950: By far worst experience with a smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Just purchased Microsoft Lumia 950 (unlocked) in UK.

Current OS build on the device is 10.0.10586.0. Originally no updates were showing available until I conducted a factory reset.

.29 update is available but device unable to update. Download stuck on 0%. Have tried factory resetting phone several time to no avail. Is factory reset same as hard reset?

Got 0x800705b4 error once, when I left the device downloading for several hours. Checked internet but no one seems to know what generates this error code and how to resolve it. At least none that I have found.

Downloaded Windows Device Recovery Tool but it just shows that I have the latest OS on my Lumia and that this is the same as that on the server despite there being the .29 update showing available on my device.

Can't believe how buggy this OS is, especially coming from a major software company.

How is it that some people on this forum seem to have no issues updating the OS on their Lumia 950 and yet others are stuck on downloading it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
just like a desktop os, some people have issues, others don't. i'd say go ahead with the recovery tool. even if it is the same version, some have had great luck with their 950 after going that route.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Connect your device to charger as update requires 40% up juice. When 10586.29 update stuck at 0%, just patience (At least it works for me, it takes more than half an hour to move forward).

I have no major issue with this build, battery life is fine.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks duncan, it's reassuring to know, but I have left the device plugged in, overnight, whilst downloading the update and got the 0x800705b4 error again. My patience for this device is wearing very thin at the moment.

Also when I factory reset, there is 30-odd apps that need updating and all show pending. One or two will show a downloading bar and will start downloading very slowly then the downloads stop.

Am wondering if the issues are with Mircosoft's servers

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Better install Windows Insider, enroll in the program and then check for updates. You'll get the even newer .36 build as well.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Send it back if you are not happy with it. It seems people either have very few issues or loads and if paying that much money, why suffer? Send it back and see if another one is better. There was a batch of faulty devices that held up UK pre-orders so perhaps you somehow ended up with one of those? My 950 was perfect out of the box. It doesn't reset, the camera is great, I don't remember it crashing and I'm really enjoying using it. In fact, the only negative for me is the gaming performance. Halo Spartan Assault just closes itself whenever you finish a level and with it being so old I doubt they'll fix that.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Send it back if you are not happy with it. It seems people either have very few issues or loads and if paying that much money, why suffer? Send it back and see if another one is better. There was a batch of faulty devices that held up UK pre-orders so perhaps you somehow ended up with one of those? My 950 was perfect out of the box. It doesn't reset, the camera is great, I don't remember it crashing and I'm really enjoying using it. In fact, the only negative for me is the gaming performance. Halo Spartan Assault just closes itself whenever you finish a level and with it being so old I doubt they'll fix that.

LOL why should he return it, it's just the title of the thread that is stupid. He has problems downloading an update and there are workarounds, oh my god I can't get an update worst experience with a smartphone ever :D

Last edited:

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased Microsoft Lumia 950 (unlocked) in UK.

Current OS build on the device is 10.0.10586.0. Originally no updates were showing available until I conducted a factory reset.

.29 update is available but device unable to update. Download stuck on 0%. Have tried factory resetting phone several time to no avail. Is factory reset same as hard reset?

Got 0x800705b4 error once, when I left the device downloading for several hours. Checked internet but no one seems to know what generates this error code and how to resolve it. At least none that I have found.

Downloaded Windows Device Recovery Tool but it just shows that I have the latest OS on my Lumia and that this is the same as that on the server despite there being the .29 update showing available on my device.

Can't believe how buggy this OS is, especially coming from a major software company.

How is it that some people on this forum seem to have no issues updating the OS on their Lumia 950 and yet others are stuck on downloading it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Bought my 950 yesterday & had similar issues.

Run a system update, this sorts it.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Paolo F

Not sure why you think the title of thread is stupid, but you're open to your opinion.

If there are workarounds, please share.

So far have factory reset the device. Many times.

Tried downloading overnight whilst on charge. Resulted in 0x800705b4 error.

Tried Windows Device Recovery Tool, re-installing OS and attempting update on device. So far downloading stuck at 0% for last 1.5hrs.

I would desperately like the download to succeed hence why I'm not yet ready to return the device.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Cylo

Is it too late to enrol on the Windows Insider?

Having problems with updating apps on a clean device, so not sure if can even begin to install other apps.

Will give it a try once my current download of OS update either miraculously succeeds or fails miserably.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Cylo

Is it too late to enrol on the Windows Insider?

Having problems with updating apps on a clean device, so not sure if can even begin to install other apps.

Will give it a try once my current download of OS update either miraculously succeeds or fails miserably.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the update. Have you tried a different WiFi source?

It may be down to faulty packets?

I had a similar issue with an old router and one of the preview builds. Changed routers and update downloaded fine.

To identify if the router is a fault, do a ping test. You will need to open command prompt and type in ping (your router's ip address - it's usually called gateway).

In regards to the insider programme you can opt-in and opt-out any time you like.

Here is the store link.

microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/windows-insider/9wzdncrfjbhk

You will need to sign in with the same Microsoft account set up on your phone.

I'm currently on the road, so there will be a delay in responding :(.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I am very tech savvy and I rarely run into issues with this I buy. But if I do I never have a hard time figuring out how to fix it. The phone isn't your issue. It's the software so your headline is misleading.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey try this out. Boot your phone up, go into the store app and download windows insider and use the day ring option and update. Then go to the settings in your phone and watch it update

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
TechFreak

Thanks for the link and will give it a go if the current download fails.

So far the download has reached 100% (taken about 2hrs) and it's been at 100% for a further 1hr.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
RUCKUS_US

The title of the thread is a statement of fact. I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 and it has been an excruciating experience so far. It was not designed to mislead or trash Microsoft or the Lumia 950.

If the feeling's change with successful updates of the OS then I would be the first to praise the device if it is praiseworthy. At the moment I have not been able to test the device.

But thank you for the advice about the Windows Insider app. Will definitely give it a try if the current download fails

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Jealy666

Unfortunately, this is what I have been trying for the last 24hrs.

Since I re-installed the OS using Windows Device Recovery Tool, the update to .29 seems to be progressing, albeit very slowly. It has taken about 2hrs to download the update, another 1.5hr stuck on 100% and now it's finally showing "preparing to install updates"

Fingers crossed it'll complete the update without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)