Lumia 950 Speaker drops volume, how can I fix this?

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 950 Speaker drops volume

Hello,

Just got a Lumia 950 about 4-5 days ago. I've updated to the latest version and have already loaded it up with music from my MicroSD.

I've noticed that when I play music at full blast (30/30 volume), the volume seems to drop a little, and then slowly picks back up. This repeats about 3-4 times per song. I tend to listen to music in the shower, and I have realized the drop in volume for two days now.

I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced putting their music aloud and noticing the drop in volume from the speaker, even though it is set to 30/30. Voltage issue maybe?

Let me know your experiences with the speaker and/or if you have a fix!

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 Speaker drops volume

Does it only happen when the volume is at maximum?

Does the drop happen consistently and repeatedly during loud pieces or just randomly?

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have only tried maximum volume. I can do a test today and find out if the issue only occurs during maximum volume.

I mainly notice it during pauses of a song, but it does happen anywhere on a song. I'll also be paying attention more clearly to see what parts the drops happen.

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So, I tried at 20/30 and 25/30 and I could not repeat the same issue.

I want to say for the songs are made the louder parts of the songs, but I could not get consistent enough data to say they are only loud parts of music. It seemed to happen in any moment of a song to me. 5-8 times a song.

If it's a hardware issue, I currently only have 5 days total with my phone. I could probably get it exchanged if it is a hardware issue. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't hardware-related, maybe minor bug in Windows 10 mobile?

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So today, I tested it once again in the shower. It did not happen with songs that happen to be really low. Loud parts of music definitely caused the speaker to go down in volume. What is the cause of this?

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
So today, I tested it once again in the shower. It did not happen with songs that happen to be really low. Loud parts of music definitely caused the speaker to go down in volume. What is the cause of this?

Is it possible that the OS employs some sort of dynamic volume control? Except that in this case it would increase low sounding parts.

Perhaps it's max volume hearing or speaker protection?

I don't see settings for either though.

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That's what I don't know. I have a strong belief that it isn't the hardware, though, so I'm not thinking about getting a replacement. The way it acts to me is software-level and is definitely something activated that's causing the issue. I tried looking for any sound setting to change, but haven't found any. I'll try messing with the EQ and see if that changes anything.

There's also a firmware update that I haven't received yet. Maybe that could fix the issue, too.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 Speaker drops volume

Maybe related, maybe not, but I do notice sometimes that when my In Call volume is set to max, it starts out low when I establish a call and then it slowly raises the volume. So I think there is some kind of mechanism for smart automatic volume control to protect hearing or something.

Can you try pausing during a loud part and then un-pausing? Does it start low and then increase gradually?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte