How do I set up a static ip on my Lumia 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to set up static ip in lumia 950

Hi there, I used to set up static ip in my previous device L925 in the wifi section when it was running win 10 technical preview. But im unable to see that feature in my L950. Do i need to install insider preview in my L950 to get static ip. Phone is currently running 10586.29. Thanks in advance :)

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to set up static ip in lumia 950

Seriously, not good Practice? Who's to tell someone what works best for them? Come on.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

with DHCP reservation, no one will use said ip until the specified device connects.
setting an ip manually on the phone could cause an issue if someone connects to that IP 1st, then your phone tries to use the same one, unless you assign an IP not in the DHCP range.

for an enterprise network, DHCP reservation is good practice. for home, not so much unless you have quite a few devices.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

for an enterprise network, DHCP reservation is good practice. for home, not so much unless you have quite a few devices.

I wont deny DHCP for Enterprise is "Good practice", but the availability to configure your network (home or business) should be up to the user/owner. I just dont think that the statement made was fair to the TC's inquiry/complaint.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I wont deny DHCP for Enterprise is "Good practice", but the availability to configure your network (home or business) should be up to the user/owner. I just dont think that the statement made was fair to the TC's inquiry/complaint.

That I can agree with. "best practices" is normally an opinion based on a specific person's experience. At a previous job, we dealt with MS, Dell, IBM and HP on an enterprise level, and most of the time, their "best practices" was a security risk for us. On topic, for a small network, setting a static IP on a device directly is fine. On a med-large network, DHCP reservation is still the better idea.

Me personally, i have roughly 15-20 devices on my home network, and I use dhcp reservation to make my life easier if i ever need to hard reset/format the device.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I have 7 devices in my home network, only 4 of them have static ip and it's way quicker and easier to manage them all through the dhcp reservation, there's no upside in configuring each device so I understand why it is a very low priority feature for microsoft to implement, if they plan to implement it at all

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234