03-22-2016 03:19 PM
160 ... 567
tools
    It's just the cold hard facts of what's going on out MARKET-WIDE mate - not meant to be condescending at all. I'm a blunt writer and what I'm expressing is just a reality-check. Sadly for WP, it's not a positive situation.
    01-09-2016 05:08 AM
    It's just the cold hard facts of what's going on out MARKET-WIDE mate - not meant to be condescending at all. I'm a blunt writer and what I'm expressing is just a reality-check. Sadly for WP, it's not a positive situation.
    The hope is that it will turn around. That said, there was a thread over on CrackBerry (whose fans are in a much worse situation ATM!) in which an interesting article was posted about niche products and the "harbinger of failure":

CrackBerry - No New BB10 Devices What Are We Going To Do Guys. The article is linked in this post.

Are we doing a service by supporting the underdog when it seems almost nobody else will? Now I realize that the situation here is much brighter than it is for BlackBerry. They just announced that future BB devices will be running Android. Windows Phone has Microsoft behind it, a business with deep pockets. Profitability is not an issue for Microsoft like it is for BlackBerry.

There is room for niche products. The problem here is that the smartphone is not a niche product. They are not designed to be a low volume high profit device to cater to a very small subset of the market. An example of that would be something like a diamond plated device that sells for $20,000. Niche or not, a product needs to make a profit to remain relevant.

Either way, it is going to be fun to watch the developments in 2016. Hang on for the ride!
    01-09-2016 09:21 AM
    I read the last page and get you, not sure why you're getting all the hate and they're making it seem as though you've created a war. The reality is what it is beyond windows central, for me anyhow. I use Android, it's got issues and I can openly admit it faults... Especially in security although that's something they're trying to tighten up. WP has a major uphill battle against iOS, on NA anyway. MS has the potential with its business market relationships to drive W10 but selling WP over iOS is such a difficult battle and a game they've arrived too late to unfortunately. Continuum (SP?) is a nest idea and could have some form of progressing forward however as it stands right now no one cares about it in large numbers. We all know Apple could easily create some potentially competitor alternative and it will shine in the masses...unfortunately true.

I hope WP grows and I would love to return to the Mobile OS... But I, as well as everyone I know who uses ios or Android for work, has zero reasons to want or use WP right now. I think MS still needs to create more features, killer things everyone will care about, on WP.. I have hope it will come... Fingers are crossed.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Mindi B and drmodify like this.
    01-09-2016 11:26 AM
    There is room for niche products. The problem here is that the smartphone is not a niche product. They are not designed to be a low volume high profit device to cater to a very small subset of the market. An example of that would be something like a diamond plated device that sells for $20,000. Niche or not, a product needs to make a profit to remain relevant.
    Vertu is the classic example of niche luxury smartphones. It was at one time a Nokia sub-brand in the feature phone and Symbian heyday. They still are doing business today under direction of a holdings company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertu
    Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

They are beautiful pieces of gear. I would hate to see Microsoft go too far down that road. My wallet couldn't stand it.

light-blue-mobile-cover-vertu-phoneseaspraylizardmini.jpg

Don't forget: Tapping the Ruby Key (made from 100% authentic Ruby) unlocks many services to relieve the tedium of everyday life. Speak with your concierge and allow them to handle the minutia of booking your holiday at Caan during the festival. You also are privilege to the most exclusive events the world over. Vertu is the new magic carpet...

Extraordinary Services | Vertu
    tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-09-2016 11:32 AM
    The hope is that it will turn around.
    Sadly though, it won't. I'd totally support that idea if we're not referring to a platform that's been reinvented for the third time. And this time, there's been an even more consistent flow of negative news than I've seen since the first day of WP7. I'm not being a hater (jeez, I would LOVE for the WP app gap to miraculously be righted so that I can move back over!) - I'm being realistic. It's just too late. You can even see MS conceding it now.

I read the last page and get you, not sure why you're getting all the hate and they're making it seem as though you've created a war. The reality is what it is beyond windows central, for me anyhow. I use Android, it's got issues and I can openly admit it faults... Especially in security although that's something they're trying to tighten up. WP has a major uphill battle against iOS, on NA anyway. MS has the potential with its business market relationships to drive W10 but selling WP over iOS is such a difficult battle and a game they've arrived too late to unfortunately. Continuum (SP?) is a nest idea and could have some form of progressing forward however as it stands right now no one cares about it in large numbers. We all know Apple could easily create some potentially competitor alternative and it will shine in the masses...unfortunately true.

I hope WP grows and I would love to return to the Mobile OS... But I, as well as everyone I know who uses ios or Android for work, has zero reasons to want or use WP right now. I think MS still needs to create more features, killer things everyone will care about, on WP.. I have hope it will come... Fingers are crossed.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    I couldn't agree with you more. And yes, I don't quite understand why a particular user has been so infuriated by what I wrote, it's not meant to be a personal attack, it's a cold blooded assessment of what's going on and I feel for the users still desperately wishing for things to turn around when they're not going to.

My fingers are crossed too, and like you I've moved off WP to a platform which isn't perfect (iOS), but it does exactly what I wanted WINDOWS PHONE to do. But you know, my fingers are losing a bit of circulation after keeping them crossed for FIVE whole years!

Back OT - I'd say the 950/950XL are good investments for PURE FANS ONLY. Outside of that, I think it's now crazy for anyone to touch W10M and would advise them all to stay right away, the situation has got that bad.

There is though, ONE, JUST ONE glimmer of hope - if the rumoured Surface phone is real, and if it's built well enough, the iPhone will finally have a real MS luxury competitor. Surface has become a damned sexy brand and it needs to expand to a phone. If MS releases a Surface Phone of brilliant aesthetic quality, combined with a simultaneous release of an OFFICIAL FB and IG client (sorry folks, but as good as 6Tag is, it's not the real thing, and the real thing is what the market wants), it'll be a great way to get REAL momentum.
    chezm likes this.
    01-09-2016 12:35 PM
    Vertu is the classic example of niche luxury smartphones. It was at one time a Nokia sub-brand in the feature phone and Symbian heyday. They still are doing business today under direction of a holdings company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertu
    Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

They are beautiful pieces of gear. I would hate to see Microsoft go too far down that road. My wallet couldn't stand it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light-blue-mobile-cover-vertu-phoneSEASPRAYLIZARDMINI.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	120259

Don't forget: Tapping the Ruby Key (made from 100% authentic Ruby) unlocks many services to relieve the tedium of everyday life. Speak with your concierge and allow them to handle the minutia of booking your holiday at Caan during the festival. You also are privilege to the most exclusive events the world over. Vertu is the new magic carpet...

Extraordinary Services | Vertu
    Vertu was a creation of Nokia ;)
    Derek did a review for Android Central last year. You can read it here Vertu Signature Touch Review | Android Central
    01-09-2016 02:49 PM
    Mindi B - I hope you don't mean me, I would hardly describe my replies as infuriated....
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-09-2016 09:57 PM
    For Stephen Townsley....
    Hi. You may store the loyalty cards on the Stocard App. I use that & it works well. I've been using it for over 2 years now - from my L920 days.
    01-10-2016 07:19 PM
    Sadly though, it won't. .
    Statements like that may be why someone would take issue with your comments. It's dogmatic and leaves no room for discussion. Your overall tone is condescending, as if you know more than those who disagree with you. You don't know that WP won't succeed. It's your opinion. It may turn out to be correct, or it may completely miss the mark. When I read statements like this, I always remember back to the days when people were writing Apple's obituary. They made statements exactly like yours. But we all know that all of those doom and gloom predictions turned out to be wrong. The same could be true with WP. Time will tell.
    01-10-2016 07:48 PM
    Statements like that may be why someone would take issue with your comments. It's dogmatic and leaves no room for discussion. Your overall tone is condescending, as if you know more than those who disagree with you. You don't know that WP won't succeed. It's your opinion. It may turn out to be correct, or it may completely miss the mark. When I read statements like this, I always remember back to the days when people were writing Apple's obituary. They made statements exactly like yours. But we all know that all of those doom and gloom predictions turned out to be wrong. The same could be true with WP. Time will tell.
    "Others have made mistakes before, so you're mistaken" is not a valid argument. There is evidence of failure everywhere, most significant of which is shrinking market share in spite of advertisement. Other are the presence of formerly WP services on competing platforms; lackluster, awkward, not quality feeling hardware admitted by most journalists in their reviews; still wide app-gap...so just because some jackass "pundit" predicts "the year of Linux" or "fall of Windows" or "demise of Apple" doesn't mean all this evidence gathered through the years is irrelevant.

His "sadly though, it won't" is based on these and these are so obvious you'd expect people not emotionally dependent on a certain company to know them without mention.
    03-22-2016 03:19 PM
160 ... 567