Is the 950/950XL still a good investment given Mr. Nadella's recent statements?

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
correct. Keeping in line with what the ceo said... Ms's future is that of a service, regardless of what device you are using. As google is growing from just services to some devices, ms will shrink from making some devices, to just services (xbox is the only hardware that will survive). I predict the end of the surface lines by the end of 2016.

lol

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Windows phones are definitely not going away and Windows 10 will be supported for a long time. The 950 range has enough hardware to be great for a 2-3 years, which is a lifetime in mobile tech.

Windows 10 is good until 2025. WM10 will not receive updates after January 9 2018.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3011...n-end-of-life-date-surrounded-by-mystery.html

Maybe they will truly have one OS by then that runs on everything. Maybe they will have just one OS. I still find it suspect.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 is good until 2025. WM10 will not receive updates after January 9 2018.

Windows 10 Mobile gets an end-of-life date, surrounded by mystery | PCWorld

Maybe they will truly have one OS by then that runs on everything. Maybe they will have just one OS. I still find it suspect.

I wouldn't read too much into that page. If a user had purchased a Windows 8.1 phone and looked at similar support end dates for that, you'd see the same 2-3 year life time, yet most phones will transition up to Windows 10 mobile so life and support goes on. I would expect a similar path with Windows 10. Will it really be the 'last Windows', or will it be renamed something else within this time frame... e.g. will we see Windows 11 or simply Windows? So many unknowns and quite some time for it to all work out. Either way, we know from the service based frequent update model of Windows 10, that phone users will be better supported on Windows 10 than they ever were on Windows 7/8/8.1.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
There is one main reason that consumers completely miss that means that Windows 10 mobile will be here and supported for a long time: Business. In business Microsoft give 150%. Business customers are slowly moving to use Microsoft mobile phones, and in business, Microsoft provides long term commitments.

Wow, that's a bold statement considering their marketshare in mobile. Microsoft definitely has the majority of market in business when it comes to OS on devices and Office no doubt. However, in my line of work and all the vendors and clients I work with not a single business has or even uses windows phone. Since Office is avaliable on Android and iPhone, iPhone is actually the most used platform for business nowadays... From my extensive experience. And the main reason is a lot of systems and tools we use ha e apps only on ios and android.

If Microsoft can get more bigger business to use WP that would be great for them, but the odd announcement of a business signing on for 100k devices or smaller 10-20 people operations aren't enough. If Microsoft can get all the major vendors to make apps then it will definitely help.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that's a bold statement considering their marketshare in mobile. Microsoft definitely has the majority of market in business when it comes to OS on devices and Office no doubt. However, in my line of work and all the vendors and clients I work with not a single business has or even uses windows phone. Since Office is avaliable on Android and iPhone, iPhone is actually the most used platform for business nowadays... From my extensive experience. And the main reason is a lot of systems and tools we use ha e apps only on ios and android.

If Microsoft can get more bigger business to use WP that would be great for them, but the odd announcement of a business signing on for 100k devices or smaller 10-20 people operations aren't enough. If Microsoft can get all the major vendors to make apps then it will definitely help.

Agreed - I'm in corporate finance and investment and not one firm (ftse 100) use wp. Android and iphone (with ibm and cisco tieing up) are making massive inroads. Sorry but that's just how it is. MSFT have been trying to get mobile back into business but, bottom line, it's all legacy blackberry, iphone and android. It used to be windows mobile but then 2007 happened and msft arrogantly told business what they should do with their money. Didn't work. They haven't recovered. I can only talk about London and new York, and dusseldorf but there it is.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed - I'm in corporate finance and investment and not one firm (ftse 100) use wp. Android and iphone (with ibm and cisco tieing up) are making massive inroads. Sorry but that's just how it is. MSFT have been trying to get mobile back into business but, bottom line, it's all legacy blackberry, iphone and android. It used to be windows mobile but then 2007 happened and msft arrogantly told business what they should do with their money. Didn't work. They haven't recovered. I can only talk about London and new York, and dusseldorf but there it is.
I know someone who handles mobile communications for a major bank. They never used legacy Windows Mobile. They used to be a BlackBerry only enterprise. Now they are Android and iOS only.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Add any medical institution to that list. Even though most of these are BYOD, you can't do much with your windows phone of use.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Add any medical institution to that list. Even though most of these are BYOD, you can't do much with your windows phone of use.

Sadly true. The nhs (uk) is trialling ipads in select institutions, with iphone so... MSFT have their work cut out. Bringing their key software to ios and android was the best move they've made. Then again, msft have the cash to burn - shareholders will only put up with that for so many years.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Am I wrong as basis of long term investment (as I, like many of you, keep my devices active for a long time) to buy into the new Lumia series given Mr. Nadella's recent statements describing WM "unsustainable" and his stronger efforts for an agnostic (OS-wise) presence on other mobile platforms? Do you think these devices will enjoy the lifespan that the 1520 enjoyed?

Long term? No.
WP devices days are numbered. The moment the "Surface phone" is out, WP is gone. It's not hard to foresee that. Just think:
1 - WP is a money loser. Is Microsoft in the business of losing money? No.
2 - Nadella admits it's unsustainable. Is Microsoft in the business of unsustainability? No.
3 - Chris Whatsisname comments on the need to have a device that breaks through and truly innovates. Is any WP device that? No.
4 - Universal Windows Apps. Is it catching on? Have you seen the app gap on WP diminish since WP10 and the new Lumias were officially released? No.

It doesn't take a lot to understand that Microsoft will not continue for much longer to lose money on this. They have their services fully functional (and functioning better, actually) on Android and iOS. They have plenty of other platforms where they are successful. They will lose absolutely nothing by removing WP from the equation. Even the UWP vision doesn't actually need mobile phones. It will still have Windows PCs, Windows IoT (and a lot of the furute goes through here), XBone, HoloLens etc to fall on.

So no.
It's not a good long term investment. And if WP lasts half the lifespan of the Nokia 1520 it will already be an accomplishment.

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
No body cares about the present , it is where the company is going . Some one said company has 80% of PC market . 5 years ago it had 98% market share and now 80% . That is bad . At one time Apple was bankrupt , Blackberry was on the top . All these drastic changes are the result of the steps the CEO has taken . Apple was trading at $4.00 when Jobs came in and told the world he was determined to build a phone like no other and he did it because he was focused on that mission . This CEO does Not know what he wants to do . He has made conflicting statements since day one . Even the fans are confused . A leader will come out and telegraph his goal and Plan of Action to keep the base and expand on it . Right now people are looking to leave . Not a good sign . I wished the Mobile OS take over other OS

Zebbie

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
'' Universal Windows Apps. Is it catching on? Have you seen the app gap on WP diminish since WP10 and the new Lumias were officially released? No.''

Everyday new apps appear...just check it!

It's all in Panos hands i ques with the surface phone.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Challenge: not to be argumentative, but list 5 of the important apps that did not exist on windows phone that now do because of universal windows apps. I don't care if Mytube or Baconit go universal (taking mobile to computers). I don't care if Facebook has plans for universal app (one already exists). I don't care if Bank of America will be making one (it does not exist now). The universal apps may catch on one day, but I do not think the state of affairs is such that you can say everyday new apps appear. I don't think you can keep waiting for the future surface phone created by Panos anymore than I was excited about the promise of Windows 8 and WP8 as presented by Belfiore.

keithhackneysmullet

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
This forum is a joke I have never seen such unfounded negativity. Hell yes the 950 is a good investment .Windows 10 isn't going anywhere .

You have to know the flagship you purchase today will be tomorrows midrange phone and next weeks low end barely holding a charge, cracked screen , held together with duct tape nightmare. If your happy with microsofts ecosystem then you will be happy with the 950 or the xl. Next year there will always be something better. Windows 10 is my platform of choice because iOS is a nanny state and boring , android is a security nightmare and good luck ever seeing an os update, and bb10 is in hospice .

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
This forum is a joke I have never seen such unfounded negativity. Hell yes the 950 is a good investment .Windows 10 isn't going anywhere .

You have to know the flagship you purchase today will be tomorrows midrange phone and next weeks low end barely holding a charge, cracked screen , held together with duct tape nightmare. If your happy with microsofts ecosystem then you will be happy with the 950 or the xl. Next year there will always be something better. Windows 10 is my platform of choice because iOS is a nanny state and boring , android is a security nightmare and good luck ever seeing an os update, and bb10 is in hospice .

This is why I don't visit these forums as much as before its very often quiet negative against these new phones. Have my new Lumia 950XL and loving it. Back to enjoying my phone see ya.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I have to point out, that in healthcare android devices are used in the field all the time for electronic records, at least in the US. There are very few proprietary or other software for health professionals to use on mobile windows devices.

Weird, the last six hospitals I've worked at all use extremely proprietary applications running on citrix. Zero Android apps

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Epic would be the main EMR that I'm familiar with an app. I was also referencing drug references...where MPR is the only one I know of on WM and is much worse than Medscape on Android/iOS (not the same as the mobile webpage). Another app your hospital might invest in would be UpToDate. Additionally there are things like AO fracture guide (which has an equal version online webpage...just slower to load) or medical calculators and references that do not exist on Windows Mobile.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I expect something similar to that surface RT history, they finally have an intel cpu battery friendly enough with adequate performance, RT along its ARM OS goes away, surface 3 with nice real windows appears

but maybe for a while it will be lumia pro with intel alongside normal lumia with rt-like OS, if they finally kill the later, the lumia pro or surface phone wont catch the world on fire but it will have a clear purpose and faithful audience, which will improve over time, no longer limited to the "vs ios-android" argument since its a real pocket pc, then the scenario will be same as tablets; a 10" phone(ios-android tablet) vs a w10 computer on tablet form, clearly an easy decision for anyone who knows his stuff, and clearly a advantageous position for w10 phones where they will remain unmatched

FragMonkey90

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
A potential surface phone would still be at least six months away. 950xlisa good investment and there is no guarantee a surface phone would be a good device

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb