Is the 950/950XL still a good investment given Mr. Nadella's recent statements?

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Folks although Windows smart phones are the 3rd smart phone eco systems MS CEO Nadella I hope realizes that if Microsoft goes out of the smart phone world. Microsoft will loose so much technology credibility in smart phones it could NEVER COME BACK TO IT. MS CEO Nadella Said that Microsoft would sell 3 types of windows smartphones 1= budget, 2=Windows smartphone Enthusiast flagship and 3= windows Business class smart phones. Microsoft could make 2 Windows smartphones in these types. 6 smart phones a year and be in this field
Folks I think that Windows 10 mibile smart phones are the best smart phones to work with windows 10's general OS devices which number 200 million and most of consumer New Computers of various types are now Windows 10 computers

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Looking at the source Verge is paraphrasing from (Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Recorded Slowest Growth Rate Since 2013), we see they are using Table 2 which is Smartphone Operating System Market. Android phones and tablets, likewise iOS phones and tablets, run identical OS with the possible exception of telephony firmware differences. I believe they did include Android and iOS tablets in there due to being the same OS as a Smartphone.

Further I believe Windows Tablets are not counted as it is not the same OS as on a phone. (Not yet, convergence being on the road map.) Further examination of Gartner's Glossary page reveals that Windows tablets are likely identified as Mobile PC: Gartner IT Glossary - Search Results.

Bloggers typically cite the numbers by OS and most stats I browse into and then examine show this probable double dip for Android/iOS while Windows gets but one dip.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the source Verge is paraphrasing from (Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Recorded Slowest Growth Rate Since 2013), we see they are using Table 2 which is Smartphone Operating System Market. Android phones and tablets, likewise iOS phones and tablets, run identical OS with the possible exception of telephony firmware differences. I believe they did include Android and iOS tablets in there due to being the same OS as a Smartphone.

Further I believe Windows Tablets are not counted as it is not the same OS as on a phone. (Not yet, convergence being on the road map.) Further examination of Gartner's Glossary page reveals that Windows tablets are likely identified as Mobile PC: Gartner IT Glossary - Search Results.

Bloggers typically cite the numbers by OS and most stats I browse into and then examine show this probable double dip for Android/iOS while Windows gets but one dip.
Windows tablets count as PCs (same category as Mac OS X and Linux/Unix), since they run desktop Windows. RT is officially dead, since no new RT devices are sold anymore.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Am I wrong as basis of long term investment (as I, like many of you, keep my devices active for a long time) to buy into the new Lumia series given Mr. Nadella's recent statements describing WM "unsustainable" and his stronger efforts for an agnostic (OS-wise) presence on other mobile platforms? Do you think these devices will enjoy the lifespan that the 1520 enjoyed?

You shouldn't buy a L950 expect anything. Looks worse off than the BB Passport.

Not saying it is a bad phone, however it is most definitely a poor investment. If you do decide to buy one I'm sure I will purchase from you at 1/4 the price you paid...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looking further at the source Verge used: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3115517

If we look at Table 3: Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales to End Users by Vendor in 2Q15 (Thousands of Units)

Capture01.png

In Q2, 2015 Microsoft sold to end users (not retail orders) 27,690,000 units. More than Huawei, LG, Lenovo (including Motorola which they own and is what the asterisk leads to in the notes), Xiaomi and many others. Not all that dire, is it? 3rd place by brand...

True it is down by year last comparison but this is the heart of retooling efforts (April/May/June 2015) and all but 1 of the top 5 are down year from year last.

Last edited:

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I am a reluctant Android user. I found my Lumia 930 to be a really good mobile device in comparison with bland android grids of icons, pre-installed menu systems, manufacturer installed crapware. However the app ecosystem isn't there. I use a Galaxy S something each day and it is a pretty good device overall but I would like to use my Lumia. It's just that it doesn't do my bank, the local taxi company, my daily transit ride to work, BBC weather app, a place to store loyalty cards, bitcoin .... and a load of other minor stuff.

The major apps are all covered.

In 2016 I can do all the "major stuff" on a Symbian phone. Its like Microsoft is failing on purpose.

RIP Astoria. Terrible how we have Android like UI yet are missing the apps

huncut

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't care about market share or company strategy and I will not wait for ultimate device forever (surface phone?). I want phone which will help me in my work and everyday's life.
At this time Windows Phones are best for me and fits all my needs (even on apps side, after Garmin released their Connect, there is no app that I'm missing here). If Windows Phones will be stopped, I will buy another phone, it won't be end of my life. iPhone or anything else will be downgrade for me, but I will have to adapt (it won't be Android anymore, I had Android devices before and all of them were peace of crap after few months of using, this OS is not good).
So that is the reason why I'm waiting for my Lumia 950 now and I'm sure, that is good investment for me now :)

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Looking further at the source Verge used: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/404746-4.htm#post3366431

If we look at Table 3: Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales to End Users by Vendor in 2Q15 (Thousands of Units)

View attachment 119974

In Q2, 2015 Microsoft sold to end users (not retail orders) 27,690,000 units. More than Huawei, LG, Lenovo (including Motorola which they own and is what the asterisk leads to in the notes), Xiaomi and many others. Not all that dire, is it? 3rd place by brand...

True it is down by year last comparison but this is the heart of retooling efforts (April/May/June 2015) and all but 1 of the top 5 are down year from year last.

But the table you have cited is total mobile phone sales, that is, it includes both smartphones and feature phones. For smartphones, Microsoft is not even in the top 5. The total Windows Phones shipped for the quarter is only 8.1 million.

Last edited:

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Onedrive/Office can auto sync on iOS and Android as well. I get it you're happy with your new WP and that's awesome, but the ecosystem of Windows is equally available on all mobile platforms aside for Cortana.

Agreed. If I take a photo, it automatically syncs with both Google Drive and OneDrive. And within a few seconds I can access them on all my devices - a mix of Windows, Android, and Apple.

As for Cortana, I always felt it was poorly implemented in WP8.1. Not using it crippled too many features.

visu9211

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the Platform/WM will remain but will not be relevant (like today) and will become even more niche. The quality of apps, even from MS, will always be second class citizen as even MS is focussed on iOS/Android. For Windows, they see enterprise as the majority of the customer and corporations are not much worried about apps...
So buying into Windows Mobile is waste of Time, Money and your patience unless you are a MS ******...

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the Platform/WM will remain but will not be relevant (like today) and will become even more niche. The quality of apps, even from MS, will always be second class citizen as even MS is focussed on iOS/Android. For Windows, they see enterprise as the majority of the customer and corporations are not much worried about apps...
So buying into Windows Mobile is waste of Time, Money and your patience unless you are a MS ******...

Sorry, but this is mostly not correct!
I have here android, ios and my lumia.
The best microsoft apps quality (look,feel,function) is on my lumia!

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Onedrive/Office can auto sync on iOS and Android as well. I get it you're happy with your new WP and that's awesome, but the ecosystem of Windows is equally available on all mobile platforms aside for Cortana.

No. Even if you choose to synchronize in the background, it just stops after a few second (I guess because iOS kills the process).

I am fine that you are happy with Android or iPhone phones but integration between Windows Mobile and a Windows device is still unparalleled. You get : background synchronization of picture / video, with Live Images, synchronization of your browser bookmarks and reading list, roaming of your credentials across Univrsal App, Cortana (HUGE deal), possibility to send SMS from W10 devices, Map favorites synchronization, only one purchase for application across all your devices, integration of Skype in the Messaging app, UI consistency...

I mean, we can discuss about qualities and weakness of each mobile platform but in term of integration with a W10 tablet or PC, there is NO question about the FACT that Windows 10 mobile integrates best. BY FAR.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Let's back up: were 950 and 950 XL sound investments even brfore Nadella's remarks? Would you pay that much for devices their manufacturers cared so little about, that they decided to release with a beta OS?

I honestly don't know who forks out seven hundred dollars - read that again - for such incomplete and buggy devices when there are so many devices out there with mature OS's and complete software ecosystems.

Why such arrogant and insulting post ?
There are many valid reasons to purchase a Windows mobile phone, especially when using a Windows device ... like 93% of the population.
I purchase only iPhone and iPad to my wife because she is used to that since forever but I prefer purchasing a Windows phone and now I have 950 because for me they are the best.

Price : the 950 is 600$ not 700$. But if you take a XL, you are then comparing to 1000$+ iPhone 6S Plus. The difference (30%) is MASSIVE.
Also, a lot of people prefer iOS to Android. So a more "capable" OS is a matter of preference.
Windows mobile has a consistent UI across all devices, is secure, is working well out of the box, get great support and timely update, is easy to use. There are many reasons why people would prefer WM and iOS to Android.

But it also has undisputed best integration with W10 device (see my post just above).

So when you bundle top notch hardware (at a very reasonable price), very good out of the box experience, great support, best integration with Windows services and devices, there are many reasons to prefer it to Android or iOS.

So please keep a civil tone and constructive discussion. Such fanboyism brings nothing.
[*]
[/LIST]

mikewarner

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You do make some very compelling points and I am glad to read them. I do think, however, Cortana isn't a huge deal on my phone as I have the dreaded speech files not downloading issue which can't be cleared and renders Cortana on my 950 useless - Microsoft are very silent on a solution date; synchronisation of browser bookmarks is great but not when the Edge product on mobile reboots over and over again.

There's work to be done and perhaps more experienced people required to deliver it. Microsoft is going in the right direction and 2016 will, I hope, be a formative year in building the best ecosystem out there and especially the best mobile experience.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I came from 4 years of Android. I spent 1-month transition using a cheap Lumia 635. A week ago, I bought a Lumia 950 outright. I am loving this phone so far. No regrets at all. Good investment to me.

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The app eco environment is still too weak especially around Banking apps. If the app environment does not improve, its domed. Even the FB app is inferior to iOS and Android, and that's a pity.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I guess I read his statement wrong. What I read, he said w10m was unsustainable as it is and other means needed to be explored in order to grow the app market for mobile.

Which would be correct and show that he was moving in the right direction.

But I'm probably wrong. Probably all the negative nancies around here are right and his only goal is to kill off windows mobile and we should all buy apple phones now.

miketer

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
You are correct in your understanding of what Nadella has said. If writing off the Nokia buy, cutting down work force and all interim steps taken is a step towards killing off Windows phone,then they don't need to employ a new CEO to do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb