Very Happy With my Lumia 950

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Good evening all,

I'm writing this post to tell of my very positive experience with the Lumia 950. Lots of doom and gloom posts on here and I'm not in anyway trying to minimize any issues other users have had, but I have had almost none of the issues being reported. So I'm hoping this post will balance out a lot of the negativity on these forums about which in my opinion is an excellent device. I can't be the only one!

I bought my Lumia 950 Dual Sim direct from the Microsoft store here in Calgary, AB almost a month ago to the day. I had been using a Galaxy Note 4 for several months, and while it was a great phone. I still found myself missing Windows Phone (previous to the Note 4 I had a Lumia 1020).

Once home and new nano-sim installed, I powered the device up and was impressed with the look of Windows 10 mobile. It has the deep blacks and style that I loved with Windows mobile 8.1 on my 1020 but with even more sexy UI enhancements.

I did NOT do a restore from my Lumia 1020, this was a clean set up (I have a feeling a restore from an old device may have been the cause of some problems people have been having). The only thing I copied was contacts. I logged into my Microsoft account and it remembered stuff from my 1020 like app and music purchases which was nice. In particular it remembered my carrier info from my 1020 (carrier branded). So even though this is an unlocked device I can still purchase music and apps by simply adding it to my monthly cell phone bill rather than setting up a credit card. I like that and I don't think the other OS' offer anything similar.

Once I had the phone set up, it really hit me how much I missed windows mobile UI and look. To me it just downright looks way better than iOS or Android (I've used them all). Transparent live tiles and the deep blacks etc. really do it for me.

Apps:

I never was a huge app user with my other devices so the "app gap" isn't a big deal to me. All of the apps/services I use are available on Windows mobile, even my bank (RBC). The only con with the apps is I'd say they are of lower quality compared to their Android/iOS equivalents. Hopefully that will be fixed with updates or universal windows 10 apps.

Bluetooth/Cortana:

Like my 1020, my 950 syncs flawlessly with my car bluetooth and haven't had any issues with this. Unlike my Note 4 which would work with phone calls but simply would not do voice to text SMS or anything.

Call quality:

So far, every person I've done a voice call with said quality is great and superior to that of my Note 4. No issues with echo or anything.

Audio quality:

I don't use the loudspeaker much so I'm not really going to judge it. I think they all sound pretty crappy on any phone. However headphone quality (using RHA-T10i earphones) is VERY good. Closest device I've had to the sound quality of my old iphone 4S with music playback. Very happy with this!

I synced my music using the windows phone desktop application that I used with my 1020. It worked flawlessly and had no troubles loading to the microSD card (that I formatted beforehand). Still getting used to the new Groove music. Not sure if I like it better than previous Xbox music.

Camera:

This is a big one for me. I travel a lot (work for an airline) and I like to take LOTS of pics. I can safely say that the camera on the 950 is without a doubt the best overall camera on a smartphone I've ever used. Hands down. A close second would be the 1020 but the 950's speed, and low-light capabilities give it the edge. I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with the camera on my 950.

Battery Life:

Battery life was quite good when I first got the phone, and has been VERY good since the 10586.29 update. It lasts much longer than my Note 4 and uses very little juice on standby. Going to bed with it fully charged it will still be at 94-96% when I wake up. Being away from home on workday (approx 11 hours off charger) and with normal use it's still at around 65% when I get home.

Note I do not use Windows Hello iris scanner. I never passcode my phone, so perhaps leaving that off helps my battery life.

Issues/Bugs/Grievances:

The biggest issue I've had was Outlook email not displaying images in emails, however this was fixed with an app update that microsoft sent out a few days after having the phone.

The update to 10586.29 did get stuck at 30% but after rebooting the phone (NOT hard reset) it did finish the update.

Very minor bug, almost not worth mentioning but when somebody messages me in facebook messenger the little notification icon at the top doesn't go away even after I've read the message. Once I swipe down from the top it goes away.

The phone has rebooted on me twice since owning it. This is actually better than my Note 4 which would freeze up and reboot probably twice a week.

I wish more transparent live tiles were available. Especially for MS apps like Money and Health. The news app can be transparent so why not the others??

Double tap to wake from glance screen would be nice to have again.

Overall experience/Conclusion:

Well, there you have it. My experience after one month with the Lumia 950. I have to say I'm very pleased with the device and as a Windows phone fan it's the perfect device for me. It has everything that I want: Great camera, Windows mobile, Great audio quality, removable back with microSD slot etc. This phone really hit it out of the park for me personally. I just hope Windows mobile grows and improves as an ecosystem.

Hopefully others who've had positive experiences will chime in this thread :)

Regards,

KrisYYC

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
WOW!!! There is hope. I like your user review as I thought microsoft had failed again with everyone on Windows Central whinnying about how bad the lumia 950 and 950XL are.
Well you didn't mention anything about Windows Hello, or is it a feature that isn't really worth using??

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
WOW!!! There is hope. I like your user review as I thought microsoft had failed again with everyone on Windows Central whinnying about how bad the lumia 950 and 950XL are.
Well you didn't mention anything about Windows Hello, or is it a feature that isn't really worth using??

I mentioned that I don't use Windows Hello. But not because it's bad or anything, but because I hate having my phone locked with passcodes or anything. I like having it ready to rock the second it's outta my pocket

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that review. I think my priorities are very similar to yours, so I'm glad see you are happy with the phone. I'm still using a 1020 which was my first Windows phone. At this point I really don't want to go back to the overall look of Android or iOS because WM is visually appealing to me and the others leave me cold.. Outside of calls and messaging, the camera is the most important feature to me. In fact, the 1020 camera is the reason I switched to Windows phone.

jacknewp

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
The 950 is my first Windows phone after 15 yrs with Blackberry. I was wanting a new phone after my BB Passport, but there was no way I was going to get a BB running Android as it looks like that's the future direction of BB. Anyway, after having the 950 for over a month now, I'm pretty satisfied. There was a learning curve, of course, but I'm very happy with the operation of this phone. Updates are coming regularly, have had no real issues....wish the battery lasted a little better, but future updates with the software & the firmware may help this. I'm actually looking forward to a long relationship with Windows mobile & the new models that will be hopefully coming out in the future.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
The 950 is my first Windows phone after 15 yrs with Blackberry. I was wanting a new phone after my BB Passport, but there was no way I was going to get a BB running Android as it looks like that's the future direction of BB. Anyway, after having the 950 for over a month now, I'm pretty satisfied. There was a learning curve, of course, but I'm very happy with the operation of this phone. Updates are coming regularly, have had no real issues....wish the battery lasted a little better, but future updates with the software & the firmware may help this. I'm actually looking forward to a long relationship with Windows mobile & the new models that will be hopefully coming out in the future.

I too came from BlackBerry Ecosystem... I decided to stop using BB when the Z10 started running android apps like I saw their roadmap.
BBelieve me you will never look back.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
As a Tech Coordinator I use see and am around all kinds of devices. As well, I was an android user for 12 years.
I will never look back or use any other device then a Windows phone....to me all the others are toys wanting to be production devices.

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had my UK 950xl since launch direct from MS and the only issue I've had is occasional crashes when using Edge....it has been better since the recent update. Beyond that it has been flawless. Bluetooth is great in the car and with headphones and my Band 2. Battery life appears noticeably better since the update too, easily lasts the day now unless I'm using it loads, even then it has never needed charged, it just gets towards 20%. My only concern is the lack of screen edge protection. I dislike cases but this thing is going to shatter easily if dropped unprotected - mine is wrapped in a Krusell wallet case...a bit bulky but protected. No heat issues for me, great phone after coming from a Lumia 930.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Coming from BB, you won't feel the discomfort since their app gap was worse than WP. Glad to see you're enjoying it, its definitely a different OS and has advantages over BB10. good luck to you and TC, glad people are enjoying their shiny new device. Testing and using a new OS is always fun in my books.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Did the latest update fox the camera lag? When I tried lumia 950 when it first came out, it used to take full 2,3 seconds to process the image after I take the picture. This is one of the main reasons I've returned the phone. Has this been fixed?

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Did the latest update fox the camera lag? When I tried lumia 950 when it first came out, it used to take full 2,3 seconds to process the image after I take the picture. This is one of the main reasons I've returned the phone. Has this been fixed?

You returned the phone because of that?

Just curious, how was that negatively affecting anything?

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Not the only reason. I'm a heavy email user. There is no all mails view which is quite important for me as I've multiple accounts and I want to the able to see all the inboxes in one view. Also the keyboard prediction was quite slow and I was mistyped a lot because of that

I'm hoping these issues are fixed in the recent updates

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

That was probably the rich-capture auto enhance, you can turn that off. Though, it is a cool feature that can allow you to adjust flash after the fact.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
That was probably the rich-capture auto enhance, you can turn that off. Though, it is a cool feature that can allow you to adjust flash after the fact.
Can u confirm this will eliminate the lag? just click and then take the next photo immediately. May be I didn't explore this last time.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Also had my L950 for just over a month now and other than a few restarts,this phone performs very well.. Coming from a Nokia Lumia 925 I am finding Win10 on the 950 to be much more enjoyable than 8.1.
I drive for a living and find the gps to be excellent.
The camera is the best I have ever used also.Great in low light like the 925.
I tried Android, it was ok, but I find I much more enjoy the windows experience having had Nokia phones since 2000.
Excellent phone my 950 is proving to be.
Thank the Lord.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Not the only reason. I'm a heavy email user. There is no all mails view which is quite important for me as I've multiple accounts and I want to the able to see all the inboxes in one view. Also the keyboard prediction was quite slow and I was mistyped a lot because of that

I'm hoping these issues are fixed in the recent updates

Just link all your email accounts together, then all your emails will show up in one inbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb