Very Happy With my Lumia 950

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, there is pretty much 0 lag taking pictures with the 950. The only delay is if you use the Rich Capture mode and immediately try to edit the photo, there will be about a 3s pause. You can snap away as fast as you can push the button in shooting mode.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yeah, there is pretty much 0 lag taking pictures with the 950. The only delay is if you use the Rich Capture mode and immediately try to edit the photo, there will be about a 3s pause. You can snap away as fast as you can push the button in shooting mode.

I believe, if you're using Rich Capture, you can't take pictures indefinitely. After ten or so the camera pauses to "save" your photos so you can't take anymore. Unless I'm wrong about this? It happens on my Lumia 830 after about 3-5 but I only have a third of the RAM of the Lumia 950's.

Foxkii

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
1 month today i've had my 950XL. Like yourself, the firmware update helped with battery life. I believe my screen brightness is better matching lighting conditions. Performance is blitz fast and it's such a nice thing to hold, it's a plastic back but it feels more premium than most phone plastics do. It's grippy, which is important.

The device itself has crashed a couple of times this last month (2 or 3), mainly when watching YouTube vids. Most likely W10 build updates will be the major fix of that gripe. For the rest, perfectly happy with mine. My Continuum dock arrived just 1 week after ordering and it was free. It also gave me an extra 3A USB-C Charger and 2nd USB-C cable. So i've got all i need to charge my phone in various places around the house, wonderful!

The negativity around these phones is indeed troubling but for some people it seems expectations can never be met. With an new OS/device combo there will ALWAYS be bugs. It is no different after major OS/iPhone launches, they get bugs and they patch them soon after. As long as the situation has improved by the Spring, i'm perfectly happy. Early adopters always get a worse initial experience. Always.

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I did NOT do a restore from my Lumia 1020, this was a clean set up (I have a feeling a restore from an old device may have been the cause of some problems people have been having).

I have had my Lumia 950 for a month now as well. I got it from At&t with a brand new sim card.

Sorry, I'm the downer. I just want to say that the problems don't come from restoring an old device.

I did NOT do a restore either. I made a clean setup. I have Bluetooth problems, camera problems, battery life problems, autocorrect doesn't really work, Cortana with Ford Sync reading my texts works 50% of the time, and my phone didn't restart at first but now it does. Last week my Lumia 950 restarted a lot and it is happening more frequently. I was on update .29 with no firmware update.

I am going to try a hard reset in the next couple of days. I've heard rumor that it helps.

Marcoinasia

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Nice post. Timely too. I'm really enjoying my 950 dual sim coming from the 930 with a 2 month stint in between using a note8. That really reminded how much more personal an experience windows is.

I did not have any issues setting the phone up from a full restore. Tiles were even in the same place. Totally fuss free. That also goes for the lotus notes traveller account.

Battery life is more than adequate for my needs including a lot of calls, 6 emails accounts, whatsapp and some youtubing.

Not a huge app user and everything has already been said in that regard. One niggle I do have is when switching between cabled earphones and bluetooth headset, from time to time the sound cuts out. A restart (less than a minute) solves this.

It's not a phone for everybody. That's partly also why I like it. I'm very happy though and have had none of the disaster stories that some users seem to have had. If only I could get that orange colour from the 930 back again...

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys nice to see some people with positive reviews from their lumia 950 and XLs
My 1st windows phone was lumia 1020...its been 3 years now...really loved the lumia 1020 camera and xenon flash...
Thou with time we needed best hardware with software...
Then lumia 950 was announced and i felt it was perfect for me.
I purchased as it was launched in india....i pre booked on amazon india with offer of free display dock...
I was in new york early dec and purchased surface pro 4 from microsoft flagship store at 5th av...As i was back my white lumia 950 arrived...thou getting nano sim took time and was busy with work...
Soo after few days i set up my phone only after i updated it to latest software...i became a insider and upgraded to latest ver 36...but after that hey cortana was missing and living images stop working...
Soo i decided to hard reset my phone...i launched WDRT that showed me i had new firmware ...after 2.6 gb my phone updated...thou firmware went up os went from 36 to 11
Then i checked it showed 29 was available...after that my phone had hey cortana back and living images were working...
Really happy with the phone...super super fast compared to 1020...camera is awesome and very fast...
Battery life has settled get around 30 hrs with medium use and 12 hrs with very heavy use
Thou bugs are there...sometimes the camera key refuses to launch the camera...iam sure it will be fixed in future update...thou i also need vibrate to answer during call...which my lumia 1020 has..
Iam sure windows mobile 10 has very good future and with more apps (universal) coming iam gonna enjoy my lumia 950 ds and surface pro 4 more...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

johnsuni

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Today (5-jan-16), in Denmark 950XL stock are outsold in at least 3 carriers. (Telia.dk, Telenor.dk and CallMe.dk)
Also outsold in Danish Microsoft.dk store.

Looks like I am not the only one very happy Danish L950XL owner :)

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Great break down of the 950 and agree on all your accounts. Not really sure why there's so much doom and gloom commenting going on.Got mine from AT&T single sim version. My experience has been great! There are a few bugs, but nothing major. The only challenger to the picture quality is my beloved Nokia 808, but speed and overall the 950 is fantastic. Bring on double tap to wake and I'll be totally happy!

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
is anyone of you 950 users experiencing build issues? especially around the rear camera assembly?

If you tap around the camera , you would hear a clickety sound.

I had taken it to MS service center who opened the device and informed that its due to camera assembly hitting the panel behind. They have not given any padding. Service center guys , gave the phone back without adding any padding.

I opened a service request with MS support who said that they can pick up the phone for me and get it repaired. But will do so only if i get a replacement device.

jinzapper

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Really happy with my phone. Other than the shorter-than-my-1520 battery, experience so far is great. With the upcoming updates, I am positive the experience will be better. I was hesitant after reading all the negative posts but I haven't experienced the most dire ones. So those on the fence, this is the phone you are waiting for.

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I really enjoyed reading this KrisYYC. I have to say I'm jealous my experience has not been as smooth as yours. When I first got mine and set it up and was working well then I started having major battery issues. The battery would drain so fast that if I wasn't using a rapid charger and just had it plugged into my PC the battery would still drain even while charging. That and the phone would frequently crash and restart on its own. It got to the point I was ready to sell it and get something else. However I am happy to report that my experience is improving! After the last update the battery things is completely gone and while it has restarted a few times since then its not as frequent. I mean hey I still have some issues with the device but it is getting better and I can see the app gap starting to close. I too do not use a lot of apps and I steer clear of all the popular ones like snap chat anyway because I think they are just a time suck. Anyway thanks for the good read.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
is anyone of you 950 users experiencing build issues? especially around the rear camera assembly?

If you tap around the camera , you would hear a clickety sound.

I had taken it to MS service center who opened the device and informed that its due to camera assembly hitting the panel behind. They have not given any padding. Service center guys , gave the phone back without adding any padding.

I opened a service request with MS support who said that they can pick up the phone for me and get it repaired. But will do so only if i get a replacement device.
I haven't had this issue, but its not uncommon on OIS camera to be able to hear some play in the camera module if you tap the phone. Obviously not like broken pieces rattling around, but the camera does float inside the unit.

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 950 the latest software update has improved it greatly!. .36 is the version on now.
The one item I received ,AND HIGHLY recommend is the MOZO replacement back cover. IT has the built in QI charging circuit like the original case. BUT with the metal sides and leather backing .. It makes the phone feel and look more high end.. like it should. Microsoft should of put these on the phones from the beginning. One added bonus, I have confirmed , is that the QI charging seems to be more efficient for some reason. It is about 50 % cooler while charging with this back.

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
My 2-cents-

When I first got the phone [have two one for me and one for wife]...we experienced random reboots, horrible battery life. I reset both phone and went straight to .29 from .0. Used the phone recovery tool on my desktop PC.

Ever since then everything is greatly improved.

We get complimented on the photos from just about everyone who sees them.

At times there are some BT bugs with my 4runner but I never had another phone to compare. Basically I occasionally lose BT audio streaming and the only way to fix it is to reboot the phone.

Other than that battery easily last a full day- corporate use --no I do not play games on it all day.

As far as design etc....if I never read an article about the design of a phone and what it "should be" I would think the design is great....I mean it is a ---- ... phone. Screen is great, buttons work, size is nice, it is light, and I like white :)

I previously had an 822 for about 3 years. Dropped it all the time, had a beer poured on it...and basically went through some hard times....it never failed me. I hope I get the same out of the 950.

As far as apps go---yes there is a gap but I do notice more and more becoming avail. Hopefully last year was the low point. I am not someone to bank on a portable device that can be lost. For me the phone needs to make calls, receive calls, text, email, and take pics. Everything else is a bonus.

Call quality- anyone call another 950 with their 950 over a good signal. Call quality is absolutely amazing. It is like being on a land line. 2 people can speak without the other dropping out....

So here is +1 to the 950.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my 950 since Christmas, I really like it. Although I've seen some people talking about issues they've had, and I've seen others talking about issues they've heard about, I haven't experienced any. Windows 10 isn't perfect, I'll admit, and there are some drawbacks from 8.1, but overall it's improved. The phone is great, good battery life, fast charging, great camera (of course), perfect display, and I love the Windows 10 OS. Even if the hardware itself weren't among the best, just the fact that it has Windows is a good advantage. Overall, 9/10 for the phone.

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had this issue, but its not uncommon on OIS camera to be able to hear some play in the camera module if you tap the phone. Obviously not like broken pieces rattling around, but the camera does float inside the unit.

Ah , so thats OIS. Its more of like an OCD for me. I dont know if that noise was there on day 1 , but now that ive noticed it I keep on tapping every now and then.

But somehow noise has increased after service center team opened it to check the issue. Another problem there are not many Lumia 950s around with whom I can compare.

Thanks for the OIS tip :)

theboyknowsclass

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my 950 since Christmas, I really like it. Although I've seen some people talking about issues they've had, and I've seen others talking about issues they've heard about, I haven't experienced any. Windows 10 isn't perfect, I'll admit, and there are some drawbacks from 8.1, but overall it's improved. The phone is great, good battery life, fast charging, great camera (of course), perfect display, and I love the Windows 10 OS. Even if the hardware itself weren't among the best, just the fact that it has Windows is a good advantage. Overall, 9/10 for the phone.

Jeddic i haven't upgraded yet, but what would you say are the drawbacks from 8.1? enough positives to outweigh it?

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Just link all your email accounts together, then all your emails will show up in one inbox.

Yeah, but you have to link all your accounts via your Outlook webmail account.
That's very annoying.
It should just be a combined Inbox using the Mail app. It shouldn't be that hard, nearly every other device does this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte