12-27-2016 10:17 AM
441 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I'm on Verizon due to work, and they don't offer it. Sad to because I'm due for a phone upgrade and work would pay for it.
    01-07-2016 09:25 AM
    Argentina. There's a solid presence of Lumia phones here, and they do release some of them locally (for example, they just released the 640 XL and before that the 640), though not all of them. And the exchange rates for US dollars and the import taxes and restrictions make it impossible to buy tech devices online. So this kind of flagship phones, even when they can be found, are usually bought as imports at crazy prices. For example, there's a guy who sells the Lumia 950 XL at a price around 1400 dollars.

So yeah, it makes it difficult. These phones are supposed to eventually be released locally, no idea when, but probably around six months, and again, as very expensive devices. So the best bet is to get someone who travels to USA and bring one. But this becomes difficult as there's not stock in brick and mortar stores.
    reason I asked is cause I live in Guyana, South America, we're part of Caribbean also, I usually buy my Lumia phones from this site, got the Lumia 1020,930 and now 950 XL . Link for 950 XL : Microsoft Lumia 950 XL LTE and link for Lumia 950 : Microsoft Lumia 950 LTE , I usually ship to courier I use, and paid $20USD for shipping & taxes.
    01-07-2016 09:34 AM
    For me, it's that it is too expensive right now and I'll need to save up for a while to afford one. I currently have a 640 XL that I got refurbished for under $200 when my 920 was damaged. The 920 has been repaired, but the main reason I haven't gone back to it and sold the 640 XL is battery life, though I do miss the wireless charging capability, dedicated camera button, and the fact that it operated quicker and more smoothly than my current phone.
    01-07-2016 09:38 AM
    I'm on Verizon due to work, and they don't offer it. Sad to because I'm due for a phone upgrade and work would pay for it.
    Same here man...Verizon due to work (and they pay for it being a personal phone too)...I had to go Note 5 when my ICON had issues I couldn't get fixed...beyond it actually being more useful due to app ecosystem, I still miss Windows 10 on a phone.
    01-07-2016 09:48 AM
    Holding out for the Surface Phone...Not a Nokia left over and perhaps an improvement in the app eco system.
    01-07-2016 09:54 AM
    I want to go all in on Microsoft's Ecosystem with a Lumia or Surface phone, but for me there are currently 3 limiting factors:

(1) App gap - 3/4 of the apps I use on my Android phone aren't available for Windows Mobile.
    (2) OS Feature Disparity - Tap-To-Pay, Continuity, Handoff
    (3) Expanded Hardware Ecosystem - No car or watch solution (Microsoft Band doesn't count).
    01-07-2016 10:08 AM
    1. Still listed as unavailable in MS Canada store
    2. My unlocked Lumia 930 is still great. Just wish it had an SD Card.
    01-07-2016 11:07 AM
    - stability of the OS
    - all the complaints about the cracking sounds the back cover makes
    - ATT Next phone has not reached trade in time. Do not want to pay extra to reach trade in time.
    - Phone test show the 950 is not only slower than WP8.1 devices but very slow compared to competitors.
    01-07-2016 11:13 AM
    1. Does not work with Verizon network in US

2. Waiting to hear more rumors on Surface Phone

If #1 wasn't there, I would probably drop $$$ and pick one up but that is by far the biggest blocker for me at this time.
    01-07-2016 11:45 AM
    The 950 does not have a camera bump. The 950XL has a small one.
    01-07-2016 12:03 PM
    Having been the owner of an iPhone 4, Sony and HTC android, followed by a switch to a 920, then 1020, now 930, I expected to buy the new 950 on the day of release.

But I picked it up in the shop and was underwhelmed. Whilst I can afford to switch (I always buy unlocked), I have to find a compelling reason to do so and I couldn't find one when I compared my 930 (White version), which has a much better build quality and still turns heads.

- I like the idea of Continuum, but I doubt I will use that much (I take my Win10 Asus transformer with HDMI when I travel).
    - The 930 felt the right sized screen. I don't want to go bigger.
    - The buggy win 10 issues seem to be a concern so I may as well wait for my 930 to load Win 10 to make a judgement.

The bigger issue for me is I'm losing faith with MS. The ecosystem plan is not clear, the devices are falling slightly short and the app issue isn't going away.

They dumped the brilliant Family Room without anything to replace it, and it was the main reason I got my wife to switch onto Win phone. We've lost the seamless calendar / onenote / onedrive share ability.

They drastically cut the onedrive storage, where I was getting 5tb as part of my Office 365 subscription I now get 1tb, but have 2.5tb of stuff in the cloud.

They removed the onedrive seamless desktop integration with file explorer and have forced you to go via the web.

Increasingly, I can't find fringe apps that would be useful, from Virgin Media/TIVO controller, to youtube and Banking/Shopping Apps.

It's quite clear that the MS strategy is to be software based, across all platforms (eg onedrive, onenote on IOS and Android), but in doing so, they are removing the key features that made me switch to a Win phone. If I can now get the same MS features on other phones, why don't I switch back to one that also has all the apps?

I'm really torn as to whether I should wait for the next Win Phone (Surface) with an unknown release date, or simply switch to an iPhone/android set up.
    xandros9 and theefman like this.
    01-07-2016 12:04 PM
    I am personally looking at a, b and d as excuses not to get one.
    Me too!!!
    01-07-2016 12:10 PM
    The lack of Verizon is the main reason I haven't moved to the 950XL. I use Android on my tablet and really find myself missing the features of the Metro interface. My wife uses an Android phone and, to me, it's just not as fluid and nice as the Windows Phone interface. If the 950 was on Verizon, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.
    01-07-2016 12:15 PM
    Right on. Lack of Verizon on this phone is the only reason for me
    01-07-2016 12:22 PM
    A and B

Its too expensive plus Windows Mobile 10 is a joke right now.
    01-07-2016 12:49 PM
    ONLY Reason - Needed 3g only Network Selection Mode. Now I have purchased LG G4 at a cheaper price than 950.
    01-07-2016 12:50 PM
    1) Laughably overpriced

2) I'm abandoning the Windows mobile platform
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-07-2016 12:53 PM
    Microsoft has 3 months to announce or release a new flagship phone on Verizon. I've waited 2 years for a new flagship phone only to find out the reason why the 950's didn't come to Verizon was a deliberate choice and action on Microsoft's part. I am quite infuriated by this decision on Microsoft's part and while I would love to stay on the Windows Mobile platform, I simply cannot and in a few months time, I will be forced to make a decision and upgrade to a flagship Android phone like a Galaxy S6 or S7 by then. I can't switch carriers either because I'm locked into a business line.

I was totally planning to get a Lumia 950 day 1, in fact, everyone on my business line was waiting to get a 950 on the first day, which is about 20 people. Instead, everyone now has to consider leaving the windows platform. This is all Microsoft's fault too. For once Verizon is 100% innocent here.
    01-07-2016 01:08 PM
    (a) Waiting until W10M is properly released and is more stable
    (b) Expecting the price to drop soon (or simply consider it to be too expensive?)

Windows 10 is a mediocre at best mobile OS: All the good things of 8.x is gone and although there are a couple of interesting features it is not the phone you connect to via Wi-Fi to manage your files as you would with any other windows device.
    01-07-2016 01:09 PM
    * I was forced to get a new phone recently, and had to pick the iPhone.
    * I don't want a huge phone and I don't see the 950 as a big enough improvement over my Icon (in some ways it would actually be a downgrade).
    * Apps Apps Apps. I have two young kids who demand the latest games, plus a few apps I use for my job that aren't available. Heck, even MS apps are better on the iphone.
    * W10M has some very annoying bugs. I lost all my OneNote notes when I upgraded, and for some stupid reason it keeps resetting the language and region setting every time I re-start the phone.
    * I'm using an Icon outside Verizon and can't do some very basic and important stuff like internet sharing. For the price, the 950 would have to be my main phone (currently my Icon is mostly a camera + music device).
    01-07-2016 01:09 PM
    Can you not buy the phone outright and bring it to Verizon?
    Or perhaps leave Verizon like I did and they a ton more data at a cheaper rate.
    I've got three phones on my t-mobile account with 100% totally unlimited data (I stream hours of YouTube per day) for $158 after tax etc.

I think you have to wait for the unlimited specials but now they have cheaper plans then that work the BingeOn service where streaming video on popular services doesn't count towards your data.

Another cool thing about my unlimited plan is that each of my phones can share 7gigs per month to other devices via hot spot tethering.
    That's more data in itself than most Verizon people get in total on their plans.

The downside is here in phoenix, AZ t-mobile doesn't work so good inside some buildings.
    Part of that may be that my two year old Nokia 1520 might not have every t-mobile band in it's radio as this was an AT&T phone.
    01-07-2016 01:20 PM
    And as for the new Lumia 950XL, I did hold off.
    My 1520 actually has a larger screen than the 950 and I got the ghost tap issues solved for the most part by adding a rigid case.

I would like the snappy new hardware of the 950xl. There is no denying that it takes photos twice as fast as my 950. Which I think it's still a good phone. It's running the latest Win 10 build with some bugs but pretty good otherwise.
    01-07-2016 01:23 PM
    Also, my money for spent on the new XBOX ONE for the kids Xmas. Which, sadly, they just use to play a dorky game called Minecraft.
    01-07-2016 01:24 PM
    (a) Waiting until W10M is properly released and is more stable
    (b) Expecting the price to drop soon (or simply consider it to be too expensive
    This!!!
    01-07-2016 01:26 PM
    I just want the 950XL however it is not available for order from MS Store. I could get the AT&T version but I don't want a locked phone.
    Last edited by resicom; 01-07-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
    01-07-2016 01:38 PM
441 ... 89101112 ...