Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has 3 months to announce or release a new flagship phone on Verizon. I've waited 2 years for a new flagship phone only to find out the reason why the 950's didn't come to Verizon was a deliberate choice and action on Microsoft's part. I am quite infuriated by this decision on Microsoft's part and while I would love to stay on the Windows Mobile platform, I simply cannot and in a few months time, I will be forced to make a decision and upgrade to a flagship Android phone like a Galaxy S6 or S7 by then. I can't switch carriers either because I'm locked into a business line.

I was totally planning to get a Lumia 950 day 1, in fact, everyone on my business line was waiting to get a 950 on the first day, which is about 20 people. Instead, everyone now has to consider leaving the windows platform. This is all Microsoft's fault too. For once Verizon is 100% innocent here.

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
(a) Waiting until W10M is properly released and is more stable
(b) Expecting the price to drop soon (or simply consider it to be too expensive?)

Windows 10 is a mediocre at best mobile OS: All the good things of 8.x is gone and although there are a couple of interesting features it is not the phone you connect to via Wi-Fi to manage your files as you would with any other windows device.

DarthVedder

May 21, 2015
Visit site
* I was forced to get a new phone recently, and had to pick the iPhone.
* I don't want a huge phone and I don't see the 950 as a big enough improvement over my Icon (in some ways it would actually be a downgrade).
* Apps Apps Apps. I have two young kids who demand the latest games, plus a few apps I use for my job that aren't available. Heck, even MS apps are better on the iphone.
* W10M has some very annoying bugs. I lost all my OneNote notes when I upgraded, and for some stupid reason it keeps resetting the language and region setting every time I re-start the phone.
* I'm using an Icon outside Verizon and can't do some very basic and important stuff like internet sharing. For the price, the 950 would have to be my main phone (currently my Icon is mostly a camera + music device).

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Can you not buy the phone outright and bring it to Verizon?
Or perhaps leave Verizon like I did and they a ton more data at a cheaper rate.
I've got three phones on my t-mobile account with 100% totally unlimited data (I stream hours of YouTube per day) for $158 after tax etc.

I think you have to wait for the unlimited specials but now they have cheaper plans then that work the BingeOn service where streaming video on popular services doesn't count towards your data.

Another cool thing about my unlimited plan is that each of my phones can share 7gigs per month to other devices via hot spot tethering.
That's more data in itself than most Verizon people get in total on their plans.

The downside is here in phoenix, AZ t-mobile doesn't work so good inside some buildings.
Part of that may be that my two year old Nokia 1520 might not have every t-mobile band in it's radio as this was an AT&T phone.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
And as for the new Lumia 950XL, I did hold off.
My 1520 actually has a larger screen than the 950 and I got the ghost tap issues solved for the most part by adding a rigid case.

I would like the snappy new hardware of the 950xl. There is no denying that it takes photos twice as fast as my 950. Which I think it's still a good phone. It's running the latest Win 10 build with some bugs but pretty good otherwise.

resicom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just want the 950XL however it is not available for order from MS Store. I could get the AT&T version but I don't want a locked phone.

Last edited:

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Can you not buy the phone outright and bring it to Verizon?
Or perhaps leave Verizon like I did and they a ton more data at a cheaper rate.
I've got three phones on my t-mobile account with 100% totally unlimited data (I stream hours of YouTube per day) for $158 after tax etc.

I think you have to wait for the unlimited specials but now they have cheaper plans then that work the BingeOn service where streaming video on popular services doesn't count towards your data.

Another cool thing about my unlimited plan is that each of my phones can share 7gigs per month to other devices via hot spot tethering.
That's more data in itself than most Verizon people get in total on their plans.

The downside is here in phoenix, AZ t-mobile doesn't work so good inside some buildings.
Part of that may be that my two year old Nokia 1520 might not have every t-mobile band in it's radio as this was an AT&T phone.

No, Microsoft crippled the 950's by deliberately disabling the CDMA radios as well as disabling the correct LTE bands for Verizon support. They could've easily made the 950's globally unlocked phones like pretty much every major android and iPhone. If that were the case then we could bring an unlocked 950 to Verizon. But for some reason, Microsoft went out of their way to disable all the radios that make these phones work on CDMA networks around the world. Keep in mind that physically, the 950's do support all global spectrums including Verizon's spectrums. But Microsoft put in extra effort to disable these radios via firmware, thus crippling the 950's on purpose, I suspect it was out of spite for Verizon's poor treatment of Windows Phones in the past. But the only people that suffer are those of us who are locked into Verizon business plans and can't switch carriers on a whim.

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
And as for the new Lumia 950XL, I did hold off.
My 1520 actually has a larger screen than the 950 and I got the ghost tap issues solved for the most part by adding a rigid case.

I would like the snappy new hardware of the 950xl. There is no denying that it takes photos twice as fast as my 950. Which I think it's still a good phone. It's running the latest Win 10 build with some bugs but pretty good otherwise.

Which rigid case did you use to solve most of your ghost tap issues on the 1520 ?

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
1) Apps
2) MS Experience is better on iOs (OneNote, Outlook, OneDrive)
3) iOs makes it very simple to create and manage a child's phone.
4) FindMyFriends like service is missing (again this is family oriented type stuff)

What would make me change my mind
1) stream xbox to phone (use case, i don't know, it would just be awesome)
2) Apps including a findmyfriends type service*

*Glympse or FamilyFinder is not nearly as good. They are slow and drain the battery. for security reasons, i think only the OEM's can properly develop a good location service service app like that.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was on fire to buy one, but I feel like the release of this phone was pretty badly done and then to have it followed up immediately with rumors of the Surface phone...I just took stock and decided it wasn't a good buy. Also, there are some things about WM 10 that are giving me pause, so I am in wait and see mode.

jaaks

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I for one was wanting the 950XL. I received the email stating it was available, but when I went to the website to order, it only showed "email me when available". I have become increasingly annoyed with Microsoft's handling of this. Another thing that is bothering me is the lack of apps. We're told wait until 8, 8.1, 10 and they will be more available. This doesn't seem to be the case to me. As of now, I waiting to see Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge Plus before I make up mind whether or not I will continue with Microsoft. I have been a Windows Mobile user since way back in the WM5 days.

Lord Method Man

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I was on fire to buy one, but I feel like the release of this phone was pretty badly done and then to have it followed up immediately with rumors of the Surface phone...I just took stock and decided it wasn't a good buy. Also, there are some things about WM 10 that are giving me pause, so I am in wait and see mode.

Sums it up well. I was all ready to get a 950XL back when they were announced. By the time the phones were actually released I had almost no interest in getting one. Coupled with the disappointing Windows 10 Mobile experience this has led me to seek solutions with other platforms.

sohic2000

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I for one was wanting the 950XL. I received the email stating it was available, but when I went to the website to order, it only showed "email me when available". I have become increasingly annoyed with Microsoft's handling of this. Another thing that is bothering me is the lack of apps. We're told wait until 8, 8.1, 10 and they will be more available. This doesn't seem to be the case to me. As of now, I waiting to see Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge Plus before I make up mind whether or not I will continue with Microsoft. I have been a Windows Mobile user since way back in the WM5 days.

I too am annoyed by the lack of availability and haven't seen any release from Microsoft why the device has been noted as coming soon since the release date on their website. What is even more frustrating is that none of the nearby Microsoft stores has it or can say when it will be available in stores.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
1) Apps
2) MS Experience is better on iOs (OneNote, Outlook, OneDrive)
3) iOs makes it very simple to create and manage a child's phone.
4) FindMyFriends like service is missing (again this is family oriented type stuff)

What would make me change my mind
1) stream xbox to phone (use case, i don't know, it would just be awesome)
2) Apps including a findmyfriends type service*

*Glympse or FamilyFinder is not nearly as good. They are slow and drain the battery. for security reasons, i think only the OEM's can properly develop a good location service service app like that.
SquadWatch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb