Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

Robert Lau

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
My personal thought is this. Windows fans in general, expect apple quality, at google style prices. Before the phone even launched people were talking about waiting for a price drop. Apple doesn't have this problem, and to be quite honest, neither does surface. It is the one hardware product by Microsoft that they seem to be firm on charging a premium for, and as such, people pay it. I expect when the next phone launches, it will be much the same, unless it is a total flop. But as fans, we ought to be willing to shell out something to keep our ecosystem alive, or stop ******** that things aren't fantastic.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I initially wanted the XL but I've read way to many complaints that made me want to wait it out to see what else comes. That along with the fact that it didn't release with T-Mobile

Sent from mTalk

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for it to even come to my country, Singapore. Malaysia has it but we don't have it. I never understood that. ):

Microsoft's new crappy marketing strategy with the new CEO, skipping IT savvy developed countries, pushing out products slow as **** and releasing unfinished products. Everything goes to India first now.

If they don't bring in 950 / Surface phone before LG V10 or LG G5 on Starhub I'm jumping ship. Enough is enough.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Enough waiting.. No stock in Canada ... It was Christmas and I wanted to give myself a gift. Bought a Nexus 6P and I really like the device so far.

Keeping an eyes on WP for sure, my Lumia is still alive and accepting new build.

puredrive07

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I will wait to see if they make a Surface quality phone, which should be out when my iPhone 6 Plus turns 2yrs old and I'll be looking to upgrade. Or else I don't see a real reason to upgrade from my iPhone 6 Plus to a Lumia 950 XL; which in my opinion feels a bit cheap and WM10 is too buggy at the moment. I really do love Windows products, but they haven't given me a reason to jump back in the mobile game with them again after many ups and downs over the years.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
The review out of there talk about a beta device, Windows 10 seems not ready and very buggy and for a product of 599?/699? is not a good things. Plus the rumors on Panos/Surface Phone don't help me in choosing to buy it.

lorettaboy

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
1. No Canadian carrier support, and no I don't want to buy the phone outright and miss out on my upgrade.
2. No Snapchat app. So tired of hearing 'did you get my snap...'
3. Premium price for a phone that looks anything but premium.

rafaldo

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Proud owner of a LUMIA 1520 for over 2 years now, running the latest Windows 10 Mobile build.

The 1520 does everything I need it to - in this respect was very ahead of the game when it came out! - and although when compared to the 950 it lacks Continuum and Windows Hello, the design of the 1520 is far superior in terms of material and finish. Simply, the 950 isn't flashy enough for me, and though it carries powerful features, it's not enough to entice me to upgrade right now. Plus Windows 10 Mobile being very much in its Preview stages does not make me want to put money forward for a new phone running beta software.

So the 1520 will do, perhaps for another 2 years?! :D

scd147

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, the Lumia 640 runs Windows 10 Mobile very well. In fact, side by side with the older 920, it's pluckier, less buggy, and stay's cool while doing it. While I'd love to have the flagship, this thing just meets my day to day requirements so well that I have no need to upgrade at the moment. Bear in mind I paid $80 for this off the GoPhone rack at Walmart, and threw my AT&T sim in it. I just looked now and it's $60. WOW! Frankly, not even the 550 beats the value of the Lumia 640. I grabbed a 32gb microSD card from Amazon and a glossy blue case from Ebay (like the one they used when they first introduced the device) and at about $100 total it meets all of my needs.

Besides, if this Surface Phone stuff is true, I'd love to see what that team can do.

expresswagon

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going with option e) not everyone has Att and is willing to drop $550 or $650 on a phone....Millions of smartphone users do not pay up front for there smart phone. They either had done the contract deal where you get the high end phone for a large discount or now people are leasing them. If it were on more carriers I'm sure more of us would own one

grapemanca

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I live in Canada, a country that Microsoft has essentially abandoned. With no carrier support for new phones, we are forced to buy online (without even holding the phone) or traveling all the way to one of the few Microsoft stores in Canada. Then, we have to buy a phone outright, because MSFT does not offer payment plans. I could not afford a grand a month before Christmas, so I wasn't able to buy a Lumia 950XL, although I really wanted to. Instead, amid the dying whimpers of my Lumia 920, I was forced to move to Android. I hate Android, but my LG G4 was $0 down, $64 a month over 2 years with 2gb of data and unlimited text and calling. The G4 will eventually cost me $360 for the phone alone. Financially speaking, an equivalent Windows flagship phone is no longer a realistic option in Canada. WP is dead north of the 49th parallel.

511pf

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
The 950 is WAY too expensive. I run an 830, and the biggest complaint I have is speed. It's OK, but I wish it were faster. I'd buy a used 930 over a 950 if they were cheaper. I would really like to see a $250 replacement for the 830 with a Snapdragon 600 or 800 series CPU. 720p 5" screen is fine, with an OIS camera. I don't care all that much about NFC or a replaceable battery.

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I would buy one but I just invested in a new 6S. I loved Windows Phone nut like others here I find that the iPhone just works the best. It is stale and can be boring. But the reality is that the phone just works and works well. Include that fact that they have all the apps that I want and need it is almost a no-brainer. I would love to pick up a 950 XL as a second device but I can't justify that cost for a second device.

Adam Gierscher

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I haven't purchased one, because the Lumia 950 was available for a very limited amount of time in Canada. And as of writing this, it still hasn't come back up for sale. I waited out the initial sale because I wanted ratings to come back, back there hasn't been a second opportunity for us in Canada to buy one.

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I have purchased one. The real question to me is "why haven't you recommended one?" Because the OS is still too flawed. I can't recommend upgrading to any of those who I turned onto WP, at least not yet. Sad but true

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased a second 1520. It lacks continuum. A feature (basic hdmi out) that the 1520 should handle, but regardless of excuses won't get because they want me to buy a 950XL with a smaller screen, same storage, same OS and a camera no better. I see no reason to do this and I feel they blew a huge opportunity.

The 950XL should have a 6 inch screen, 64 and 128 GB options, built in HDMI and a Camera as good as Lumia 1020 with a good lens at bare minimum to warrant "flagship" status. Though I do appreciate the 950 front camera.

If the next big dog model lacks these things (especially a micro hdmi) my love affair "may" end on Windows phones. I put up with enough lacks of's trying to be an MS trooper. ☺

Now when the 950XL price drops to 200.00 on Ebay, yeah I may grab one. That's a maybe.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720