Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a second 1520. It lacks continuum. A feature that the 1520 should handle but regardless of excuses won't get because they want me to buy a 950XL with a smaller screen, same storage, same OS and a camera no better. I see no reason to do this and I feel they blew a huge opportunity.

The 950XL should have a 6 inch screen, 64 and 128 GB options, built in HDMI and a Camera as good as Lumia 1020 with a good lens at bare minimum to warrant "flagship" status. Though I do appreciate the 950 front camera.

If the next big dog model lacks these things (especially a micro hdmi) my love affair "may" end on Windows phones. I put up with enough lacks of's trying to be an MD trooper. ☺

Now when the 950XL price drops to 200.00 on Ebay, yeah I may grab one. That's a maybe.

With USB-C you just need a USB-C to HDMI cable or a USB-C/HDMI adapter.

There's no "excuses" or conspiracy to get you to buy a 950 XL with Continuum, the 1520 chipset simply doesn't allow dual screen display.

MrGecko

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Waiting for two (2) reasons:

1) 2-year contract with Verizon (8 months left). I have the Icon on Fast Ring & love it. It only needs an SD card slot to be perfect.

2) Waiting to see what the Surface Phone comes with.

If I did win the 950, I would give it to my brother-in-law on AT&T as a birthday gift.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
But as fans, we ought to be willing to shell out something to keep our ecosystem alive, or stop ******** that things aren't fantastic.

You must be joking, its not a consumers job to work to keep anything alive, why is the onus on the consumer while the multi billion dollar company that created the buggy device sits on their hands? Ridiculous.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You must be joking, its not a consumers job to work to keep anything alive, why is the onus on the consumer while the multi billion dollar company that created the buggy device sits on their hands? Ridiculous.

He said fans, not standard consumers. Ridiculous that some people react in such a way to comments taken out of context.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For me very simple. Impossible to find anywhere. Sold out everywhere since its release.
I am in Canada, no Microsoft Store (6h drive to get to the city entrance that have a Microsoft Store inside).

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Didn't get one for one reason and one reason only:

It's not compatible with CDMA (Verizon) and there is no carrier in my area with anywhere near the coverage of Verizon.

If Microsoft had made it a truly universal phone, I'd have thrown my money at them and be rocking one of those sweet new phones right now.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Waiting for supped up unlocked versions to use globally. I buy my phones outright because I hate carrier warez. You end up paying for the phone one way or another anyways. Do not be fooled.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
1: I don't feel that Windows Mobile has grown in the speed, quality and vision that i needed it to.
2: The price of the new device was way above what anyone could be expected to pay for a device in beta.
3: Build quality and design didn't make sense to me
4: App selection hasn't gotten better and not that i really need it to get that much better, but i need certain apps and speed in order to use a phone like this for serious work. Fx. Trello, Slack, Maps, easier collaboration between office and google drive stuff.
5: It's impossible to get accessories for these things and they're usually way overpriced (since no one barely carries the phone Especially in Europe)
6: And.... After 5 years of hardcore supporting.... I WAS TIRED.

MrEeks

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Actually none of the reasons listed in the post one for me. I want the XL, and it remains sold out. Sure wish they would hurry up with more sales of it, or else I maybe just wait for a potential Surface phone. Currently using a used and abused 920 and love it.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
My personal thought is this. Windows fans in general, expect apple quality, at google style prices. Before the phone even launched people were talking about waiting for a price drop. Apple doesn't have this problem, and to be quite honest, neither does surface. It is the one hardware product by Microsoft that they seem to be firm on charging a premium for, and as such, people pay it. I expect when the next phone launches, it will be much the same, unless it is a total flop. But as fans, we ought to be willing to shell out something to keep our ecosystem alive, or stop ******** that things aren't fantastic.

What has MS done to earn that kind of loyalty? We expect Google bargain bin prices because that's what happens to their phones after a month of release. I remember buying my 920 putting $200 down and signing up for a contract when it came out. Literally a month later I saw it on sale for $1 with a 2 year contract.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

It's all about initial cost for me.
I have no problem waiting for a device to mature with lower price and proofed performance.
No need for the latest and greatest here.
Just ain't that thirsty.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My personal thought is this. Windows fans in general, expect apple quality, at google style prices. Before the phone even launched people were talking about waiting for a price drop. Apple doesn't have this problem, and to be quite honest, neither does surface. It is the one hardware product by Microsoft that they seem to be firm on charging a premium for, and as such, people pay it. I expect when the next phone launches, it will be much the same, unless it is a total flop. But as fans, we ought to be willing to shell out something to keep our ecosystem alive, or stop ******** that things aren't fantastic.

The thing is that in technology. you get what you paid for, yes, but you also have a percentage that is "what people value from the product". That percentage increases over time, and rapidly due to how fast technology moves forward. The Surface and Apple product has a strong value in peoples eyes, making the price of the product high, and maintain the high price as production cost reduces over the months due to technological advancements.

The Lumia line, sadly has 0 of this extra value. The brand is not really recognizable or associated with anything, and the material used, while understandable due to wireless charging, and replaceable battery, is so over used in the low-end market, that people associate with it. It has no reputation, especially in North America.

Like showing people a Lenovo ThinkPad series next to a MacBook Pro to a person that doesn't know much computers or have any brand recognition. The Thinkpad you can toss it around, and probably even out the window and fall on concrete (ok well it depends on the floor), and survive. The plastic might break, but the system is fine. A MacBook Pro, will probably not survive very well. But the MacBook Pro feels like a better quality, and despite identical specs, down to the details (say, for example), and identical warranty and after sale service (still for the example), the person will most likely willing to spend more on the MacBook Pro.

So that point (feel of the product) and brand recognition/value, is what determine the price, and if the product is of good value or not.

Now all this doesn't help that you can get a Samsung Galaxy Edge wtv model for free or <~200$ on a 2 year contract, while the Lumia phone you need to cash out 550$+ (make that almost 800$ in Canada) before taxes. So people sees: Oh look at the glass back of the the phone, it feels nice, it looks fancy, it feels fancy/premium. And it is "only 200$" (ignoring that the plan would increase for the phone, to pay the phone).

Shack2424

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah.....I wanted the 950XL......and it's got no Sprint, Verizon or Tmobile for that matter.....sticking with my iPhone

Thanks for the carrier exclusive Microsoft !!
:eck:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah.....I wanted the 950XL......and it's got no Sprint, Verizon or Tmobile for that matter.....sticking with my iPhone

Thanks for the carrier exclusive Microsoft !!
:eck:
It is actually because Microsoft only made deals with carrier that treated Windows Phone well, and that was also open to the idea that Microsoft control all updates of the phone, like the carriers allows for Apple (due to Apple pressure, due to the success of the iPhone), on Android you are at the mercy of the service provider. If they go "Screw you, buy a new phone with a new contract, we won't allow it to pass", which is an issue, then you are screwed. Some people still have Windows Phone 8 without Denim update, because the carriers aren't allowing the update.

So, Microsoft needs to be with a phone service provider that allows automatically all updates for the phone.

h2dk

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Held out for too long, had the 920 for just over 3 years waiting for a high end replacement. Caved last week and bought a Samsung Note5. Still want a Surface phone if it ever materializes, but figured the Note 5 will have a much higher resale value than the 950 XL when the time comes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss