Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I took the iPhone 6 instead.
At least as good MS apps, better build quality and full support and focus from the Industry and the manufacturer.

I did like WP before but now when all the good stuff taste as least as good on the competition there is simply just no need to stay in the "no app land".

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I played with a 950XL a few weeks back. Sure it was gorgeous (albeit, feels cheaper than it should).
But not enough to bring me back to WP/W10M.

1) too expensive for what you get and also cheap build quality
2) OS is not finished/polished enough
3) no apps

Cezar-Andrei Pufu

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Way too expensive for a Windows Phone and poor build quality. Already got the Lumia 930 and it feels way better in my hand than 950. Also did I mention the goddamn price?!?

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Lots of reasons actually but to sum up:
1. the design of the phone - looks pretty cheap for its price

2. W10M is still a joke and when buying such an expensive device, you should have a consistent and smooth experience. Right now, it's not the case. I know the experience varies between devices but WP is locked down, like IOS. However, unless you have a hardware defect on an iPhone, the issues are consistent across devices which makes things easier to fix. and at least the fixes are coming. On WP, you could take 50 versions of the same phone, remove the ones with hardware defects and you still have no idea what phone is actually running WP best because they all behave differently with completely different issues. Being a supporter or a fan does not mean I'm okay to have a sub-par experience just because.

3. after 3 years with WP, the app gap is not getting any better. W10M Is trying to reinvent the wheel once again instead of trying to be consistent. When buying such an expensive and powerful device, you should expect the best ecosystem and the best apps to take advantage of the device you bought. Mind you, I'm not only talking about the number of apps here but also their quality. After using Android after years of bashing, I realised how obsolete the apps on WP were. Besides, people wants to make sure they will get the newest apps as well. Only IOS and Android can guarantee that at the moment. Spending $600+ on promises and expectations... sorry, I'll pass. I've been patient enough, time to move on.

But I'll be back... ?soon.

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Note 5 and really like it. I have the 1520 as a backup. If Microsoft release Mobile 10 for the 1520 I will have a play. The 950 is just not tempting enough and it will take another six or twelve months to iron out the kinks in the OS.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
A bunch of reasons, so much so that I didn't even bother entering the competition.

My main reasoning came from using the preview of WM10 for as long as it has been available. Understandably there were a lot of bugs at the start but that situation gradually improved. However, even the RC version had some pretty hefty flaws and instability. Some examples would be the camera crashing the first and second times I launched it and a spectacular bug with Rich Capture mode which would only capture images at the screen resolution of the device. That last one was a bit of a kicker for me after I'd used Rich Capture quite a lot on holiday.

Beyond the OS being nowhere near ready, the 950 and 950XL aren't really very inspiring devices. They look neither as solid as existing Windows Phones, or as attractive and sleek as phones from other brands. They don't look or feel like premium devices, which is something I would expect from something costing ?400+

In the end I moved to Android with a Galaxy S6 and while TouchWiz is still a bit of a dog in the looks department the phone performs well, does everything I need, does some things I didn't know I would use and I can get all the apps I felt I was missing out on towards the end of my time with WP. I'm not here to evangelise about Android, especially when WP was a choice I made happily for 3-4 years, just that for me personally there was nothing to keep me on the platform and nothing coming up that made me want to stay.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't upgraded to the 950 because there is no support for MirrorLink in W10M. I will wait a few more months and get an iPhone if it isn't apparent MirrorLink support is going to be added.

bburgarelli

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Too expensive and not available in my country.

When/if it's available in Brazil it will probably cost over 1,200 USD. There is no way I'm paying that much in a phone.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
just compare with nexus you get complete picture.......
L950/XL ugly,high priced,lot of duplicate apps(junk),
infact Microsoft doesn't know to price their Lumia....see L540 vs L640.....then L550 now rumours of L650 pheww..

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I havent cuz WM 10 looks ugly. Trying too hard to look like android. I have it on a backup phone, and its unsightly. Ive had wp7 dell venue pro, lumia 920, lumia 1020, and lumia 1520. The 1520 had a badass sleek style, and the 950xl is a smaller size and has a cheaper material.
Clean up WM10, make it look and feel like the classic metro style with square icons and more pivot screens. And start using those Nokia patents again with the cool hardware design.

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I ended up getting a Nexus 6P. Great phone in most respects. I still have my Lumia 1520, so I haven't left the Windows scene. I didn't get the 950XL because:

1. For the build quality and buggy nature of the phone, it's overpriced
  2. Carrier support here in the UK seems poor
  3. Waiting for a Surface Phone... to surface!

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
1) Verizon won't carry it

2) With MS trending more and more into the service world, there is nothing really exclusive to keep me in house

3) Lack of apps

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck with my Note 3 until November and then I am getting a 950XL or if there is another WP10 option (Surface phone) that's better I'll look at that. I have suffered with Android enough.

My true hope is the 950XL will be a little cheaper by then (Nov.) or if a Surface phone is close enough on the horizon I'll wait for that.

Tactik

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I am a Verizon customer... But I think I am getting one for work, we are on AT&T there. I have a 1020 at work right now and I like it running 10. Look forward to the 950 when we get them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb