Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

copjake

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
For me it's W10M is going backwards I can't use Bluetooth to initiate a call or text without having location services turned on which for some reason drains the battery, can't figure out why I need location services for CORTANA to work when nothing I need it for has anything to do with location, Bluetooth volume issue haven't been fixed every time I connect to Bluetooth I have to turn the volume up (WHY) windows phone is the only device that does this. there are several other reasons.

Paint_Ninja

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not considering buying the Lumia 950 as I'm simply not interested.

My main reasons are because:
- I don't like the design at all and was hoping for a more of a Lumia 925 or 930 kind of look.
- As much as I love Windows 10 on my desktop, it is extremely lacking on the phone side still. When I use Cortana and do a web search I don't want a slow web wrapper for search results - I want the native, fast and easy look with the nice black background so that it doesn't strain my eyes to quickly. I also hate the amount of heavy JPEG compression being applied on Windows Camera for Windows Phone 10 - it makes my pics look terrible on my Lumia 1020 compared to the Lumia Camera on Windows 8.1.
- Ever since I got my Lumia 1020 64GB phone I've always wanted a phone camera that can zoom as much as this one if I'm considering upgrading, as I use the zooming feature on my 1020 almost all the time when taking pictures. The camera on the 950 is great but the lack of a 3-4x lossless-appearance digital zoom is a major loss for me when I'm so used to having it.
- I would rather pay less for a similar phone that is slightly less powerful. I don't need an eight or six core processor on a phone where I only do at most a few things at once.

It's a shame really as I do want to upgrade to a phone similar to my current Lumia 1020 but with a higher resolution screen (just 1080p is fine, but if 1440p is possible at a reasonable price then even better - but 768p is a bit low for such a high-end camera of its time...) and a processor that can handle rich capture and dynamic flash but that's not available yet as it seems. :(

Sonic98

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I just really shouldn't spend the money right now. I guess I could wait and see if the price drops any. I might also wait to see what other phones come out. I'm not really interested in waiting on Surface Phone unless it's a phone like no other. Outside of the Intel chip and that functionality.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I was considering it and thought for sure I'd get it, but then I came across the great reviews for the Nexus 6P. Decided I'd give Android a "final" chance (ok - perhaps 2nd "final" chance since I said the same w/ my S6 Active). In any case, it has been a great phone without the negative experiences I've had in 100% of my previous Android phones (random lags, overheating battery, excessive battery drain, etc). Truthfully can't see why I'd give the 950 a whirl while I'm having such a good experience (for once) w/ the Android.

Oh - and I pre-ordered the Oculus Rift and will also need to get a new PC, so I feel like I'd rather allocate my play funds to beefing up that PC I ultimately get ;-)

kansokusha

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Because I think that this phone is already dead and MS will kill off WM altogether, and the next phone will be running full Windows with a mobile interface on an x86 based processor.
So I'm not interested in throwing my money down the tube, and my Lumia 1520 will get WM10, so nothing to lose.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Because I think that this phone is already dead and MS will kill off WM altogether, and the next phone will be running full Windows with a mobile interface on an x86 based processor.
So I'm not interested in throwing my money down the tube, and my Lumia 1520 will get WM10, so nothing to lose.
That's not going to happen.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am waiting for:

1) MS second generation phones, Surface Phone
2) Phones from other manufacturers such as Samsung, LG, etc.
3) Win 10 mobile to get more mature.
4) More universal apps.

Meanwhile my 640 dual sim is my 950 dual sim! It is as good but with much more fluid WP8.1.2. I can live with slower processor, lower resolution and without continuum.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The answer is pretty simple, really - it is far too expensive. I could never justify even half what a 950 costs. In fact, I just bought a brand new Lumia 925, to replace my old 925, and I really couldn't be happier. I spent less than US$150 and got a phone that works brilliantly and now lasts three days on a charge again, where the old one was needing a top-up every day.

I can easily justify spending four grand on a laptop because I use it to earn part of my living but a phone is mostly just a toy with very limited utility beyond calls, SMS and a few handy things like comprehensive weather reports. It can't do a lot of even simple things, like replace my mp3 player, so I simply cannot justify spending more than about $300 on a phone.

I used to buy a new phone every year because they used to improve at a rapid rate but since I got my first 925 I haven't seen a newer handset that offers anything worth paying for. The 925 takes stunning photos, apps start really quickly and navigating through the UI is buttery smooth. When someone makes a phone that can run After Effects and 3DS Max, I might be interested but until then it's just incremental improvements that I really don't need.

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You can get the equivalent of WiFi calling on TMO by getting one of their WiFi/microcell routers. You'd have to put something like a $25 deposit, but if you go into the store, it's possible to score one without putting any money upfront. Give it a go.

That would be great if I needed it for home, but my T-mo signal is great there. I need it for work, and I am not able to install a router there.

kansokusha

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
That's not going to happen.

Can you please explain why in a logical and business conscious manner. I really don't want to get in any argument with anyone, as internet arguments are a complete waste of time. But I would really be interested in and intelligent discussion as to why MS would actually keep WM10 if their killer mobile feature is continuum.
I think the only thing keeping MS from killing off WM10, is that there still isn't a power efficient x86 cpu they can use in a phone, which I believe will not be the case by the next iteration of intel's Atom.
Logically, MS would lose an established user base for their phone that is at maximum 4% of the market, and at the same time would benefit from cutting down costs by letting go of the team developing WM10, making it easier for developers to make phone apps (just slap on a mobile interface), and have a consistent eco system (PCs running x86, Tablets running x86, Xbox running x86, and phones running x86).
Everyway I do the math, the next phone will be x86 based, and will run full Win10, just with a phone interface.

Theolos

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
For me it's primarily A, i will wait for the OS to get to my Lumia 640 and see the changes. If the things that should have been fixed several years ago (like attaching anything to an email that is not a pic, horrendous) are still not fixed - i will be waiting for Surface Phone. No point in buying the phone for some largely unnoticeable hardware upgrade.

Oh and i'm still waiting for Cortana to be released in my region. Siri is here, OK Google is also available, putting so much marketing emphasis on something not available in my country just sounds like a cheap move.

ArmandsFM

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Why haven't I bought 950? I was waiting for phones long. Then when I got to see them, only single sim versions were available. Then my close friend gave me one as birthday present - dual sim version, knowing how much I wanted one. That was all I need. Everything works perfectly, Battery the first days was draining like crazy because I was playing with device all the time. Now normal usage gets me through all the day. Camera is amazing, face recognition works much faster than 6 digit pin code. Got to train this thing few times but now it is reacting good. Battery is charging real fast. Thing is light and feels good in hand. Size is reasonable and fits in pocket easily, also works with CR200 in my car. Transition for Microsoft Band went seamlessly. I need to point out that my previous one was Lumia 920, so you can imagine difference. Happy user.

ftg888

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me really? I did a bulk purchase for my company 80+ units, 20+ were DOA/DEFECTIVE out of the box, 9 more crashed hard, 15 or so even after updates were unusable devices and returned by the employees, the rest were recalled and all were sent back FOR A COMPLETE REFUND. My experiment *and that is exactly what it is* is OVER.. WP10 is DOA to the BUSINESS COMMUNITY. BTW.. I have a 550, it worked out of the box, and only cost me 99 bucks.. sheesh.. what a **** SHOW Microsoft..

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm a recent convert from Android (GS4). I needed a cheap phone to put my toe in the W10M water to know if it could be a primary driver. Lumia 640 fit the bill and love it. It will bridge the gap until Surface phone comes out. I'm already a YUUUUUGE Surface Pro fan!

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows 10, and I like Windows 10 on my M8, But I am not buying the new 950 and 950 XL, for one they cost too much for what you get, I really don't like how they look and feel, Continuum and Windows Hello might be great for some they mean nothing to me. They just look and feel like Microsoft threw them together just to get the fans off their backs for a while, I will be waiting to see what other manufacturers come up with.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't run 8.1. That version is 100% better to me. WP 10 may look the same outwardly from 8.1 but the features have change and not for the better for me. So I purchased a Lumia 830 and LOVE it! I don't see myself purchasing a WP10 device anytime soon. I may even buy another 830 just in case my current one breaks.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I didn't buy 950 or 950XL because of that:
Price + looks (of 950 and 950XL) < how well L920 works
:)
Will wait a little longer (Surface phone maybe?) and i also purchased SP4, so money is tight :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos