Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am on Verizon. If it was available to me, I would have bought one already. I can switch fee free next month. I would prefer to stay with Verizon and not move to AT&T. My wife needs a new phone, but wants to go back to an iPhone. She has been using a Lumia 928 for two years. Can't convince her to stick with Windows at this point. I can buy an unlock iPhone now for my wife and move to AT&T later, if there is not movement between Microsoft and Verizon. I can get by with my 928 for awhile longer. I haven't updated it yet to Windows 10 Mobile. I need to do that before I decide what to do. If a Surface Phone is indeed coming later this year, it might be worth the wait.

Beyond the carrier issue, it would be nice if Microsoft offer an upgrade plan like Apple is now with the iPhone. I have to buy two phones soon, I would prefer to not pay it all upfront.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting this summer in order to save 40% of the price. Is too expensive, W10 is not ready. Also if you want to exclude to wait for surfacephone there are other reason for not buy it(yet).

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
From ver 29 phone works perfect...people sayin version 63...is more snappy with better battery life and apps more stable...thou i haven't notice any issues with my Lumia 950 ds

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My First Windows Phone was the 928 [which was stolen in October; what a disappointment that crook experienced when they discovered it was not an iPhone or a Samsung - Ha!] now I have the 735. I think the 928 took better pictures.

I like everything the 950 has to offer: plenty of internal memory, an SD card and a removable battery; however...

#1.) I'm on Verizon (through my job).
#2.) Price is too steep. MS should have offered at 1/2 the price of the iPhones and Samsungs in an attempt to increase market share.
#3.) The app gap is starting to weigh on me. We have vendors pitching to us every week; new apps to help us perform our jobs better - BUT, only if you have an iPhone (sometimes, they also have Android versions).
#4.) Camera speed. I am impressed how quickly my wife's iPhone 6S can snap picture after picture after picture. While my 735 is still saving the first picture, my wife has snapped off 4 or 5.
#5.) Woulda, coulda, shoulda - things that worked so well in 8.1 are now forsaken in Win 10. While I don't have the 950, I feel the pain reading of users who mention issues such as:, maps cannot be saved to SD cards; apps cannot be saved to SD card, etc., etc.... Windows 10 needs to be able to walk on its own (it is still crawling).

In my job, I use a Surface Pro 3 so it is logical to keep with the Microsoft/Windows platform; however, where is my incentive when there are apps for all 3 platforms, on the Windows Phones they are the bottom of the barrel when compared to iPhones and Androids? When service providers are not developing apps for Windows?

JaySeeDoubleYou

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Why haven't I bought a 950XL?

Really simple: Verizon blacklists it and for tl;dr reasons, I'm not really in a position to leave big red over it.

I really do want in on the Windows 10 Mobile action though. I mean, I guess I "technically" am already with my quaint little Lumia 520 on the insider program. But it doesn't have cell service, it doesn't have Continuum, and it doesn't even have additional storage via an SD card. So beyond getting superficial tastes of the latest OS builds and superficial exposure to a limited number of apps, it's useless to me, which is why I really don't count myself as "being in on Windows 10 Mobile" with it.

I have had a chance to get my hands on a 950XL and play around with it a bit. I find it a thoroughly lovely phone, and while styling is ultimately "to each their own", all the overwhelming outcry about it being a bland or ugly phone just utterly fails to resonate with me at all. I don't find it bland, I find it poised. And, I really like Continuum! Even though I realize this current "Snapdragon-powered" iteration of Continuum is ultimately just a half-measure more akin to Windows RT than to a full fledged Windows experience - I still like it!

By tax return time 2017 I want to buy or to already have bought a serious gaming PC for the "main rig" in the living room (well, built rather than bought....okay, okay, have had built for me probably). But I also want a more modest PC experience for the upstairs office to supplement it, and ideally, a way to take my computing around with me.

Continuum has a TON of merit for that use case scenario! Have the dock upstairs using an actual keyboard/trackpad, then have continuum dongles put on most or all of the TVs in my house and just use the on-screen virtual keyboard/trackpad for those locations and then I can compute anywhere in the house! Also, my parents live on the North side, and I visit them roughly every other Saturday, so maybe set up a dongle or a dock over there too! Plus, if my vision of "Continuum kiosks" ever materialize in public places, there's yet another way to use the computer I carry with me in my pocket.

That it's basically just "RT" at this point I think I can manage to overlook as a) it wouldn't be my main Windows PC, and b) the app scene does seem to be improving somewhat and RT will be exactly as robust or thin as the app scene is - which I'm optimistic about.

Well that all sounds great, so why don't I just say "screw cellular coverage" and buy a 950XL just for its uses as a Continuum computer, and continue to use my other phone as a phone? Well, frankly because I simply can't justify spending flagship phone, or lower end gaming rig prices for "Windows RT" no matter how much I love the handset. I just can't do it. Sure, Verizon could whitelist it later and then I suddenly have a phone, but I'm not gonna take that kind of risk.

-HOWEVER- there are two close alternative solutions where I -COULD-, and -WOULD- justify getting a Windows phone without Verizon service just to use it as a computer with Continuum:

1) If the alleged Intel-powered "Surface Phone" that should hit the market this year or next is all that it's cracked up to be, namely, if it's Intel-powered version of Continuum is not just some glorified RT, but really turns into a [for all intents and purposes] a "real", "full" Windows 10 desktop experience, then I'll gladly pay flagship phone prices even without cell service to make that thing the "floating computer" I described above and use it just as I described above - only now as a full-fledged Windows 10 experience, rather than RT. I'd be in on that action as fast as funds allow!

2) If they they bring Continuum, even Continuum RT to the budget phone segment, and I can have a Continuum equipped phone for $200 or less ($250 would be my top dollar in this case), then I'm down with that too! I could always replace it later with either a whitelisted 950XL, or a Surface phone, be that whitelisted or blacklisted.

or, of course if the impossible happens:

3) Verizon whitelists the 950XL.

So there you go. Should ANY ONE [or more] of these three scenarios unfold, then the very first chance I get, I'm "getting in on Windows Phone." I mean, obviously, my starry-eyed, Pollyanna pipe-dream Magic wish is for a Verizon whitelisted Intel-powered Surface Phone with a full win32 Desktop Continuum experience. But really, any one of the above three scenarios will do in that one's absence. Really!

....til then, I'll keep on the near outside, keeping my fingers as close to the pulse as I can, continue using my 520 to "sniff the air" from time to time, and eagerly awaiting that open door to "jump through". And in the meanwhile, I'll double down on Android (I'm already doubled down on Apple) and then the road will be clear money-wise for to dedicate all my attention to Microsoft and Windows.

Cheers!

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting for the 950 unlocked to be in stock at U.S. MSstore.com since launch day. At this rate I will eventually lose interest in the device and just keep myself happy with my 3 year old L920 WP8.1. I don't have high hopes for a Surface Phone as I am pretty sure it is going to be a bigger than the L950 and I am tired of manufacturers going bigger and bigger with phones.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I left Verizon, even though I was grandfathered in with the Unlimited Data. Just to be able to use the 950 xl. Haven't looked back.

I understand that can't be the case for everyone, because people have Verizon through work.

Or in some cases the AT&T network is not as strong in somebody's area. My problem is both my wife and I have lines through Verizon, so we would have to wait until both our lines could be cancelled and moved to AT&T.

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Premium price for a lazy hastily delivered piece of mediocrity, no features to make up for the lack of apps and a half baked incomplete OS. I hope MS isn't leaving the smart phone business but nothing about the 950 suggests they are trying.

BCDavis

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I anticipate the next flagship windows phone will have an x86 processor and be able to run desktop applications. MS unfortunately has a history of introducing devices that get left behind by advancements in the OS or Hardware. It's the same reason I didn't purchase a Nokia 900 or Windows RT device.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Are you kidding me really? I did a bulk purchase for my company 80+ units, 20+ were DOA/DEFECTIVE out of the box, 9 more crashed hard, 15 or so even after updates were unusable devices and returned by the employees, the rest were recalled and all were sent back FOR A COMPLETE REFUND. My experiment *and that is exactly what it is* is OVER.. WP10 is DOA to the BUSINESS COMMUNITY. BTW.. I have a 550, it worked out of the box, and only cost me 99 bucks.. sheesh.. what a **** SHOW Microsoft..

Damn, that sucks. Not only for a bad showing for the platform, but I would imagine you didn't look too good if you were recommending it. I would say that in its current state, it's not ready. Maybe in another 6-12 months, but not now. It's why I won't recommend it to anyone yet. That first impression has to be solid.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I didn't bought it because I don't have money for it, lol.
But even if I had enough money for it, I wouldn't bought it. Why? Many drawbacks, at first and main poor OS, lack of features, ugly and poor build quality and too much expensive. Main buying point for me would be OLED display and great camera, but there are great displays on other phones, and there are cameras on par with it. It would be great phone with some tweaks and much less buying price...

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Because I love my Lumia 1520 way too much. I greatly prefer the physical design of the 1520 to the 950, and the performance of the 1520's hardware "gets the job done" for me.

Indisia

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Because a Lumia 640 for $30 gets me a solid phone with decent (enough) specs, expandable storage, a stable WP8 OS that will soon be upgradeable to a (hopefully) stable W10M OS. And I get it without having to shell out 100s of dollars or sign a multi-year contract or payment plan, leaving me the flexibility to pick up a 950XL or future device in 6 months should I choose to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium