Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

MarkAllett

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The competition to win an 950 or 950XL currently has over 3,500 posts with most people posting how great the phone is and how they'd love to own one. I find it odd that so many people could love a phone so much yet not already own one and seemingly not consider buying one. Sure, we all love free stuff, but I just wondered whether there's some common reason why so many people who profess to loving a phone, haven't bought one? I'm sure Microsoft would be very interested if it was something they could address.

I figured that reasons might be:

(a) Waiting until W10M is properly released and is more stable
(b) Expecting the price to drop soon (or simply consider it to be too expensive?)
(c) Hoping for a 1020 style version
(d) Expecting the Surface Phone to be out quite soon

Or anything else?

I'm referring to this competition:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...l-windows-central-fa-la-la-liday-contest.html

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For myself, I have a 1520 that looks great and runs great. It takes fantastic pics and the 20MP shooter is near to one on the 950/XL.

The things that the 950/XL offer me over my device are an increase in SoC speed and RAM, docked aspects of Continuum and Hello with the iris scanner. None of these are enough even combined to get me to move off my 1520. I don't think I'd get enough more out of the camera or benefit from the other two enough to justify the expense.

In terms of SoC and RAM the Snapdragon 800 + 2GB RAM is still working fine for me. I don't tax my resources.

Also, not a fan of AMOLED or convinced it is "better" in any way than IPS LCD and I'm not chasing uber dense screens in the 400ppi + range so I don't list the display as an upgrade from my perspective.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Well, I would've held off but I needed a stronger phone than the 640 since I am a power user, but had I known that the Surface Phone was a for sure thing, I probably would've waited to get that over my new 950.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
For me, it's two reasons:

1. The 950 is boring

2. Surface Phone (the real reason)

This is what happens when you don't put in place a predictable and reliable release schedule. With Microsoft's current "spray and pray" handset release strategy, your customer base is always holding off for the next best rumored device.

With my iPhone, I know exactly what I'm going to buy and when I'm going to buy it because I can rely on Apple releasing a new form-factor update one year and an OS update the next year. You either get on the 2 year form-factor update schedule or the 2 year OS update schedule depending on which you prefer. I get a new phone every two years like clockwork and never have to worry about it.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Truth I I would have because the 950 is fairly cheap on my network in Ireland at ?469,but network so badly run,I can't get one online and shop still waiting to get it in stock because I'm in one of Irelands smaller towns.Now I'm looking at android devices which have much greater specs for less cash.Im waiting it out a little longer before I decide

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A) Too big on the phone's part
B) Too empty on my wallet's part
C) I want to try something different next anyway.
D) Not stoked about 10 Mobile's progress thus far.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, an almost identical competition on the iPhone site, giving away an iPhone 6s or iPad Air 2, which was started on the same day, only has 1138 entries. Is the Lumia 950 really three times as desirable as an iPhone 6s? That's not translating to sales!
Win an iPad Air 2 or iPhone 6s in our Fa-la-la-liday Contest! - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com
I believe that people who wanted an iPhone 6s already got one. They're waiting for the iPhone 7, which will be available late summer/early fall, like new iPhones always are.

robsbrutal

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I bought one right away and put my iPhone 6 down and was excited. But I didn't give myself enough time to transition and find apps to really replace my needs, mainly my running app and a music streaming app that runs good and has decent features. so I returned my 950. A week later I went and bought a lumia 640 to play with to watch the updates they make to w10m in the coming months. Surprisingly for 60$ the 640 is a badass phone. I now switch between my iPhone and lumia. but as soon as the legendary surface phone comes out I will be putting down my iPhone permanently.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
A) Too big on the phone's part
B) Too empty on my wallet's part

I agree with both of these points.
I don't want a big phone*, and also at this time, it doesn't make good financial sense for me to buy either one, also generally not interested

(short version^ long version below)

Also, I'm not really a flagship device person. I don't desire them so strongly (and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one around like this, even though some people around WC thought that I was strange for wanting to try out the 550, but I digress). I just need a good mid-range that can meet my wants and needs, and I'm set. I don't want or care for the upgrades of Windows Hello, Continuum, etc. In fact, I'm waiting on a 735 that I ordered, because the size is great, it has color, and seems to take great pictures for the price point! It might be a year old, but that doesn't really matter to me at all. A good phone is a good phone, or at least within what makes sense for me and my lifestyle.

I think the OP somehow forgot to say that it's easy to want something and think it's nice, and another to actually be able to afford said device. I think the Surface Book is beautiful, and of course I would love to try it and take one home with me. Even though I say all that, I just can't afford it. Also, how do you know that some of those posters aren't trying to set some money aside each week/month so that they can eventually buy one?

*= The XL is something that I will never buy, that thing is too huge for me! Yes, 5.2" isn't really big but to me, it is. Even though I have long fingers, I still want and strongly desire the smaller phone factor between 4" and 5".

Last edited:

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for WM 10 to have the kinks worked out. I still enjoy my 1020 and 8.1. I have no substantial reason to get a 950 at this point, but I'll probably go ahead and get one after another update because it's hard to resist shiny new toys.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
No money on my part to buy a new phone, I'm still using my 1020 (which I partially won in a competition) and will continue doing so.
And it's not available in my country yet

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Price
More phone than I need
Just bought a phone
Mid-low end phones have reached an acceptable level
Overly simplistic design for the price

I might get one next year when the price drops.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro