08-19-2016 02:27 PM
261 ... 34567 ...
tools
    This whole thread is a testament to why I will never again buy a carrier branded phone. Especially when unlocked, unbranded devices have been available since day one.
    CraigCole likes this.
    01-26-2016 10:38 AM
    This whole thread is a testament to why I will never again buy a carrier branded phone. Especially when unlocked, unbranded devices have been available since day one.
    There's advantages and disadvantages to both. This firmware update issue is a prime example of the main (only?) disadvantage, but having a carrier-branded phone also gets you the advantage of support for extra features that they only allow on the branded phones. Currently with the AT&T 950, that's only HD Voice support and the AT&T MicroCell functionality (in the Extras settings,) but hopefully in the future it'll also add wifi calling and advanced messaging, both of which are / will be only available to branded phones.

Every phone out there is a compromise. You just have to find the one that fits you best personally.
    ashram, maevinj and Ecurb87 like this.
    01-26-2016 11:53 AM
    I'll also point out that if you purchase from AT&T on the Next 12 program - you can return the phone after 12 months and get a new one with no penalty. This, in case the rumored Surface Phone emerges and is irresistible.
    01-26-2016 12:14 PM
    I'll also point out that if you purchase from AT&T on the Next 12 program - you can return the phone after 12 months and get a new one with no penalty. This, in case the rumored Surface Phone emerges and is irresistible.
    That is why I decided to get the 950 from AT&T. If the next great thing comes out this year, I can trade in my 950 for it!
    01-26-2016 12:27 PM
    I might be trading in for an iPhone or android sadly.. tired of being frustrated
    CraigCole likes this.
    01-26-2016 12:57 PM
    I might be trading in for an iPhone or android sadly.. tired of being frustrated
    I've been debating the same thing. is there a way to do this without buying another phone out of pocket?
    Claiming the phone is unusable will just result in AT&T replacing it with a refurbed 950 i'd guess?
    01-26-2016 01:00 PM
    I've been debating the same thing. is there a way to do this without buying another phone out of pocket?
    Claiming the phone is unusable will just result in AT&T replacing it with a refurbed 950 i'd guess?
    check state laws.... you may be able to get a Lemon exchange (in Fl it was after 3 repair attempts for the same thing)

I was able to go from an HTC Titan to a Lumia 900 a few years back. Granted, the Titan DID have signal issues and every replacement was worse than the original.
    01-26-2016 01:50 PM
    Exactly!
    01-26-2016 02:18 PM
    I really hope Microsoft decides to put make the firmware available on insider, I'm not expecting anything from AT&T at this point.
    Homepage article is suggesting they will, but we won't actually get the firmware any faster. It only means we won't have to unenroll from Insider in order to receive it. We still won't get it until AT&T releases it.
    01-26-2016 06:57 PM
    This is what I'm planning on. I don't have high hopes the 950 will receive much attention once Microsoft gets their non-nokia origins windows phones going.

At the same token though, it will be another AT&T phone with slow firmware updates.
    01-26-2016 07:07 PM
    Homepage article is suggesting they will, but we won't actually get the firmware any faster ... We still won't get it until AT&T releases it.
    Yep, and by my calculations AT&T should push the latest firmware update out around quarter-past never. ☺
    01-26-2016 08:39 PM
    This is what I'm planning on. I don't have high hopes the 950 will receive much attention once Microsoft gets their non-nokia origins windows phones going.

At the same token though, it will be another AT&T phone with slow firmware updates.
    Hopefully this time the phone won't actually need that firmware update. If they had delayed the 950 a bit longer (I know, I know), just like they needed to delay Windows 10 Mobile a bit longer, we wouldn't have this issue. Most phones don't get "firmware" updates, right?
    01-26-2016 08:42 PM
    Hopefully this time the phone won't actually need that firmware update. If they had delayed the 950 a bit longer (I know, I know), just like they needed to delay Windows 10 Mobile a bit longer, we wouldn't have this issue. Most phones don't get "firmware" updates, right?
    My androids used to I thought, but it didn't matter much since I could just root them, change the CID? MID? and flash whatever some random guy threw up on a filesharing site. The key there was just making sure it was for the right radio. I too am hoping however that a true Surface phone will come out in a much better state than the 950.
    01-26-2016 08:55 PM
    At&t is sending me a new 950. This one gets way too hot when cellular data is on, battery drains when cellular data is on, and has too many Bluetooth problems. I will keep sending them back until they fix it. It is just as easy as resetting my current one
    01-27-2016 09:33 PM
    I have an update for anyone interested. I just got off of the phone with AT&T Wireless tech support. I spent a few minutes explaining that my data usage had skyrocketed due to Wi-Fi drop off and inquired as to when they would be releasing the firmware, since they are not providing a date on their product update page. He said that the latest firmware update is wrapping up internal BETA testing and they have an approved release date of February 10-12th, depending on your IMEI number. So, at least we have that.
    01-28-2016 07:20 PM
    I would like to believe that...
    CraigCole likes this.
    01-29-2016 08:33 AM
    I have an update for anyone interested. I just got off of the phone with AT&T Wireless tech support. I spent a few minutes explaining that my data usage had skyrocketed due to Wi-Fi drop off and inquired as to when they would be releasing the firmware, since they are not providing a date on their product update page. He said that the latest firmware update is wrapping up internal BETA testing and they have an approved release date of February 10-12th, depending on your IMEI number. So, at least we have that.
    We went through so many starts and stops on ATT updates with the Lumia 830 Denim releases, I'm past believing anything we get from tech support. There have been so many times they've given false hope that I refuse to believe it until I actually see it.
    01-29-2016 03:55 PM
    Wow mid Feb is two months after the general release of this firmware. MS has stated a new fw update might be out by then.
    01-29-2016 03:56 PM
    We went through so many starts and stops on ATT updates with the Lumia 830 Denim releases, I'm past believing anything we get from tech support. There have been so many times they've given false hope that I refuse to believe it until I actually see it.
    Ah, a fellow 830 survivor!

but yeah, it would be rare to get a correct answer about a Windows Mobile update from AT&T's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd tiers of support.
    EMitchell likes this.
    01-29-2016 04:06 PM
    I have received accurate info in the past from AT&T Support people who were in the know. Sounds like a similar situation here, so I believe it. And I'm just glad we are getting this at all, although being the "premier" partner I would hope for nothing less.
    james7679 likes this.
    01-29-2016 05:53 PM
    Don't be so jaded. I was speaking with a supervisor. He gave an EXACT date. Not an approximation, an exact date. He said that they received the package before the public release and have been pushing this one through due to the Wi-Fi issue and the possible collateral damage they could incur. He credited my account 6gb of data as well. But I get being jaded, I do. Us WP folks are all that way.
    CraigCole likes this.
    01-29-2016 07:50 PM
    My original unlocked 950XL phone brought into AT&T did not have visual voicemail and LTE speeds. Not sure if that is still a problem, but it was enough of an issue to me that I returned the MS 950XL for an AT&T 950.
    01-30-2016 10:32 AM
    My original unlocked 950XL phone brought into AT&T did not have visual voicemail and LTE speeds. Not sure if that is still a problem, but it was enough of an issue to me that I returned the MS 950XL for an AT&T 950.
    LTE is not a problem, if you can find a support rep who knows how to properly provision the account. Visual Voicemail unfortunately will not work on any dual sim phone until Microsoft fixes it in their software. Youmail and ISeeVM fill this gap pretty nicely.
    01-30-2016 11:58 AM
    I hope this update comes by mid Feb. Would prefer sooner. My 950 has so many little bugs that it's driving me crazy. Way too many random reboots also.
    CraigCole likes this.
    01-30-2016 03:39 PM
    I hope this update comes by mid Feb. Would prefer sooner. My 950 has so many little bugs that it's driving me crazy. Way too many random reboots also.
    Heard that!!!!!
    01-30-2016 03:47 PM
261 ... 34567 ...