Where is the new 950 firmware for USA ATT 950's?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It is an issue when the phone, att 950, has issues with the camera and Bluetooth. Its the same old tired **** with ATT. I'm ok waiting a bit but would like at least a hey we know about the issues your having were working on releasing a new firmware soon. You know what I mean, because at this point whjo knows if these issues will be fixed and when.

What Camera and Bluetooth issues? I have had a camera issue 1 time while trying to record 4k video, but never had a bluetooth issue on my 950.

AMEN! Just assume your phone will NEVER get updated, then you won't be upset, :grin:! I learned long ago with my WP7 and 8 devices that things just don't get better.

can't assume that, since we did get an OS update in december (to .29). while we have to wait for firmware, it's not as bad as having to wait for both firmware and software updates.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
What Camera and Bluetooth issues? I have had a camera issue 1 time while trying to record 4k video, but never had a bluetooth issue on my 950.

Keep in mind some are running firmware 15452 vs. 15454. I never had issues either and I was on the latter.

can't assume that, since we did get an OS update in december (to .29). while we have to wait for firmware, it's not as bad as having to wait for both firmware and software updates.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It is an issue when the phone, att 950, has issues with the camera and Bluetooth. Its the same old tired **** with ATT. I'm ok waiting a bit but would like at least a hey we know about the issues your having were working on releasing a new firmware soon. You know what I mean, because at this point whjo knows if these issues will be fixed and when.

Tis frustrating, my videos with my 950 are a mess. Digital stabilization makes it even worse.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Is there conformation for this? Where? Thanks.

People on reddit. Here's one 950xl on at&t.
Note so far it's been 950XL phones. My guess is it's not that AT&T is not pushing it out. They want it on their phones they will be selling right out of the box. And since these come out of the box they need to make sure it works fine or it would be a blunder on their part to give to customers and they won't even function.

Here in Texas on AT&T with the unlocked 950xl On .36 still enrolled in Insiders. Did check for updates and were none. Went into Insider app and chose Leave Program. Still no update. Reset phone chose skip for wifi and not to restore backup just incase there are any configuration files that might interfere. Checked for update and it appeared with warning\option to download over cellular or connect to Wi-Fi. Did download. After it was done I did another reset and chose to restore from my backup. My 30+ apps and app updates are installing automatically with no hang up so far. Currently down to 13. So now on .36 with new firmware. Will enable insider preview after updates are done.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Note so far it's been 950XL phones. My guess is it's not that AT&T is not pushing it out. They want it on their phones they will be selling right out of the box. And since these come out of the box they need to make sure it works fine or it would be a blunder on their part to give to customers and they won't even function.

But that 's yet another unlocked Phone, not an AT&T phone. So far everyone who has been saying they've got it is just an Unlocked phone that happens to be on AT&T.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

At&t has zero control on unlocked and unbranded phones. They only have control over branded phones. As such, 950xl and unlocked 950s (any non-branded at&t 950) will get all updates from ms directly. Branded 950s have to wait on at&t for firmware updates it seems. OS updates can be pushed by MS directly.

So until an at&t branded 950 gets a firmware update, that means at&t hasn't ok'ed it yet. Unlocked/unbranded 950s will get all updates from ms, regardless of carrier.

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a 950 on ATT (ATT branded one). I am running the latest .63 build.
here are the camera issues:
1. Pictures are not in focus as they should be on auto. <-- seems to be fixed on .63
2. Time between pictures is between 5-10 second (I have timed it). <-- this time has actually gone done with eh .63, but I haven't timed it yet.
3. Video changes focus constantly making videos blurry <-- haven't tested this one yet

Bluetooth issues:
1. when connected to either my highlander or sierra the connection breaks up and is spotty <-- still an issue on .63
2. when connecting or disconnecting or sometimes just unlocking the phone when it is connected the phone freezes <-- still an issue on .63 (requires a soft reset of phone)

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow dude. Way to roll in like a troll. Know your facts first. The firmware wasn't released to AT&T 950 adopters. And for the record, we're not self entitled. We're pissed that Microsoft released a phone that has more bugs than we can count. We're pissed because they said carriers weren't going to control these releases. We're pissed because they said they were going to push more frequent builds and have pushed one since they said that.

Sooooooo.......how about we get our updates and you leave?

You should be more pissed off at yourself for buying the phone.
Reviews clearly stated their were software issues.
In the past ATT has always been a problem interfering with updates.
Windows 10 running on older devices was unreliable at best.
Yet you still bought the phone and thought it was going to be perfect?

I got my wife an ATT 950 because she broke her 1020.
I knew going in that I could have to return it. Fortunately it has worked near perfect (unless things are wrong and she's not telling me).
I have to the 30th of January to return it, and if necessary I will do so and she can go back to using our spare 640 until the 950 is ironed out or something better comes along.

Do some research before you buy something worth $600.
Not for one minute have I thought 950 users were anything but beta testers.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a 950 on ATT (ATT branded one). I am running the latest .63 build.
here are the camera issues:
1. Pictures are not in focus as they should be on auto. <-- seems to be fixed on .63
2. Time between pictures is between 5-10 second (I have timed it). <-- this time has actually gone done with eh .63, but I haven't timed it yet.
3. Video changes focus constantly making videos blurry <-- haven't tested this one yet

Bluetooth issues:
1. when connected to either my highlander or sierra the connection breaks up and is spotty <-- still an issue on .63
2. when connecting or disconnecting or sometimes just unlocking the phone when it is connected the phone freezes <-- still an issue on .63 (requires a soft reset of phone)

My guess is the firmware would fix your Bluetooth issues as some have noticed. Camera issues for sure. Just be patient I'm sure ms is going to release the 950 at&t version soon. 950 xls on at&t are getting it.

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My guess is the firmware would fix your Bluetooth issues as some have noticed. Camera issues for sure. Just be patient I'm sure ms is going to release the 950 at&t version soon. 950 xls on at&t are getting it.

I had a feeling it would be a long road. I was just hoping that the upgrade from my 928 would have been more worth it. Oh well... I will keep waiting.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
You should be more pissed off at yourself for buying the phone.
Reviews clearly stated their were software issues.
In the past ATT has always been a problem interfering with updates.
Windows 10 running on older devices was unreliable at best.
Yet you still bought the phone and thought it was going to be perfect?

I got my wife an ATT 950 because she broke her 1020.
I knew going in that I could have to return it. Fortunately it has worked near perfect (unless things are wrong and she's not telling me).
I have to the 30th of January to return it, and if necessary I will do so and she can go back to using our spare 640 until the 950 is ironed out or something better comes along.

Do some research before you buy something worth $600.
Not for one minute have I thought 950 users were anything but beta testers.

I'm not pissed that I bought the phone. I love the phone. I'm fully aware that we're "beta" testers, even though the phone is not marketed that way. "You still bought the phone and thought it was going to be perfect?' That's making a crazy assumption - I don't buy any device and expect it to be perfect but I expect it to be fixed. I did plenty of research before I purchased the phone and I'm not only allowed but justified to get upset when a company isn't properly supporting their device, whether it be Microsoft or anybody else. I'm a huge Microsoft supporter, but that doesn't mean they should be devoid of criticism.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

LOL you still don't get it. 950XL phones on ATT have nothing to do with ATT. They were unlocked phones bought directly from MS. MS is solely in charge of updating them. People just happen to be using them on ATT.

ATT branded 950's (bought through ATT) get software updates directly from MS, but firmware updates through ATT. ATT has to test and approve the firmware before it is released.

If you take an unlocked phone and put it on ATT, it doesn't magically become an ATT branded device.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
LOL you still don't get it. 950XL phones on ATT have nothing to do with ATT. They were unlocked phones bought directly from MS. MS is solely in charge of updating them. People just happen to be using them on ATT.

ATT branded 950's (bought through ATT) get software updates directly from MS, but firmware updates through ATT. ATT has to test and approve the firmware before it is released.

If you take an unlocked phone and put it on ATT, it doesn't magically become an ATT branded device.

Yes, but AT&T can block firmware as can any other carrier. This is because the radio stack is affected and can cause a flurry of support calls for the carrier. And that means they are wasting money and resources because of something MS pushed that they didn't approve. The only reason AT&T is testing this is because these 950 units will also be shipping out of the box with this firmware. And they want these new purchased units to work properly in all scenarios.

MS likely notifies carriers of firmware updates and carriers decide whether they even care to test it. In this case most carriers don't have enough users on these phones to even care. I had an unlocked 830 running on Rogers and I still had to wait to get proper Denim through rogers.

Windows OS updates can bypass carriers for the exact reason that they do not alter the radio stack, anything changing would not affect the connection to the carrier according to standards. A firmware update can even cause network outages if there are a lot of users with some firmware that is attacking their radio towers with some oddly formatted signaling messages. So again. In the future if these are more popular and require a firmware update, some carriers may need to intervene or at least MS would have to show proof of proper radio stack handling.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but AT&T can block firmware as can any other carrier. This is because the radio stack is affected and can cause a flurry of support calls for the carrier. And that means they are wasting money and resources because of something MS pushed that they didn't approve. The only reason AT&T is testing this is because these 950 units will also be shipping out of the box with this firmware. And they want these new purchased units to work properly in all scenarios.
correct, but only to AT&T branded devices. AT&T cannot do squat to a 950 that is factory unlocked. That is where the disconnect between you and BJD223 is coming into play. your response, while it makes sense for the AT&T branded devices, it reads as if AT&T is blocking all 950's, which they can't.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Is the radio stack being used on thier network? There'syour answer. just because it's unlocked doesn't mean it's exempt from ATTs network regulations and update policy. If you agree to purchase their service, you agree to submit your device updates and firmware to their schedule of release.

The only difference is that you're not locked into only att for service.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Is the radio stack being used on thier network? There'syour answer. just because it's unlocked doesn't mean it's exempt from ATTs network regulations and update policy. If you agree to purchase their service, you agree to submit your device updates and firmware to their schedule of release.

The only difference is that you're not locked into only att for service.

If this were the case, all youd need to do is remove the sim card, update over wifi. They cant block what they cant see.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
correct, but only to AT&T branded devices. AT&T cannot do squat to a 950 that is factory unlocked. That is where the disconnect between you and BJD223 is coming into play. your response, while it makes sense for the AT&T branded devices, it reads as if AT&T is blocking all 950's, which they can't.

It's not about "blocking". It's about Microsoft even being allowed to send the firmware update to users on that network. Like they stated that some things will require "carrier approval". So you can pop your sim card out, your phone was registered on that network anyways, so MS won't send it to you. Carrier blocking is as simple as not giving MS the go ahead. You have to understand that if MS screws up an agreement the carrier can block the IMEI's. There seems to be a certification process that must be passed too, as recently was revealed via the Verizon mess. MS could do the cert but doesn't and there could be reason for it. The same hardware is being used in other devices that do support verizon.

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not about "blocking". It's about Microsoft even being allowed to send the firmware update to users on that network. Like they stated that some things will require "carrier approval". So you can pop your sim card out, your phone was registered on that network anyways, so MS won't send it to you. Carrier blocking is as simple as not giving MS the go ahead. You have to understand that if MS screws up an agreement the carrier can block the IMEI's. There seems to be a certification process that must be passed too, as recently was revealed via the Verizon mess. MS could do the cert but doesn't and there could be reason for it. The same hardware is being used in other devices that do support verizon.
Long story short... ATT 950's aren't getting the new firmware until ATT says so.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Still nothing wish ATT would get their crap together or at least MS could push firmware to insider users regardless of carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720