Where is the new 950 firmware for USA ATT 950's?

Kuo-Lun Tye

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I have an update for anyone interested. I just got off of the phone with AT&T Wireless tech support. I spent a few minutes explaining that my data usage had skyrocketed due to Wi-Fi drop off and inquired as to when they would be releasing the firmware, since they are not providing a date on their product update page. He said that the latest firmware update is wrapping up internal BETA testing and they have an approved release date of February 10-12th, depending on your IMEI number. So, at least we have that.

Welp, today is the 12th, and no sign of any update. Sounds like they were feeding you a bunch of BS, which is SOP for ATT.

Another day, another round of battery drains and random reboots.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Yup, just got off of the phone with a supervisor. The gist of the conversation:
Super: "I have no idea where that person got a date from."
Me: "IT'S BEEN THREE MONTHS!"
Super: "We have no idea when it will be released, or even a current schedule for it."
Me: "IT'S BEEN THREE MONTHS!"
Super: "Best I can do is call you when I have an update."
Me: "YOU GUYS SUCK!"
Super: "We don't care."
Me: "This is a $600 phone that YOU ARE STILL SELLING WITH PROBLEMS!"
Super: "We know, and we don't care."

Eff At&t.

I'm going to start trashing them on Twitter and Facebook.

webwevers

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I called AT&T and asked to have my phone replaced. I am on the next plan and I was told that they do not have any 950's and they are not going to sell them anymore. The only thing they told me I could do is pay for an upgrade or take the phone to a Microsoft Store and see if they will honor the warranty. The rep. I spoke with said not to go with any Microsoft or windows phone because they are no good. He kept saying I should get an Apple phone. I guess I'll try a Microsoft store, but its about 75 miles away so hopefully this weekend.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I called AT&T and asked to have my phone replaced. I am on the next plan and I was told that they do not have any 950's and they are not going to sell them anymore. The only thing they told me I could do is pay for an upgrade or take the phone to a Microsoft Store and see if they will honor the warranty. The rep. I spoke with said not to go with any Microsoft or windows phone because they are no good. He kept saying I should get an Apple phone. I guess I'll try a Microsoft store, but its about 75 miles away so hopefully this weekend.

Sounds like another useless rep. At&t really needs to 1: Get their reps some training: 2: Get them to not spew BS; 3: Be a bit more transparent when it comes to support for phones currently available and 4: Hold reps accountable for lying to the customer.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, it looks like my prediction will be correct; the firmware will arrive at quarter-past never. AT&T is the evilest corporation ever, except for all the other ones.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, it looks like my prediction will be correct; the firmware will arrive at quarter-past never. AT&T is the evilest corporation ever, except for all the other ones.

Pretty sure it will be released.... Just never as soon as it should be. They sat on the 830 firmware for 5 months... Most gave up hope between 2-4 months.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have an update for anyone interested. I just got off of the phone with AT&T Wireless tech support. I spent a few minutes explaining that my data usage had skyrocketed due to Wi-Fi drop off and inquired as to when they would be releasing the firmware, since they are not providing a date on their product update page. He said that the latest firmware update is wrapping up internal BETA testing and they have an approved release date of February 10-12th, depending on your IMEI number. So, at least we have that.

Well it's now February 13th and no sign of the firmware update...

MG

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

You should've asked the rep why it is still listed on their website for sale if they're no longer selling them?

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What'll probably happen is they'll want to push the latest firmware update out so they'll begin testing it soon. Of course this will take several months to complete and by the time they're ready to push it out the next firmware update after that will be ready and they'll want the make that one live, which will, again, take more months to test meaning we never actually get an update, LOL!

I think I speak for those of us who know what we are doing, that we wish the Windows Device Recovery Tool had the latest Firmware available for whatever device we plug in.
Whether approved by the carrier or not (AT&T for example), if MS feels a firmware is solid enough for submission, having to wait on the carrier to drag their feet for weeks, or maybe even months, while we sit here with buggy devices is worth the slight risk to many.
That said, this is a small start but anyone who wants the best experience will wipe their device after a major build/firmware update anyway hence the importance of foJcusing more on making the latest updates available on the WDRT.
Yes indeed....well said! Presently on a AT&T branded 950, I have firmware: 01078.00017.15454.xxxx, now completely understanding that AT&T has to 'do-their-QA-testing...there have been two updated firmware files:
Dec. 2015---Firmware 01078.00027.15506.020xx
01078.00027.15506.020xx firmware update for Lumia 950/950 XL. The availability of this update may depend on your phone model, region or network service provider. Key improvements in this release include:

• Stability and performance improvements.
  • Improvements for SD memory card support.
  • Improvements for automatic display brightness settings.
  • Fix for a camera problem that was causing noisy images in low-light conditions for some users.
  • Fix for a 4K video problem that was causing stripes to show up while playing back recorded videos for some users.
Jan. 2016---Firmware 01078.00038.16025.390xx
01078.00038.16025.390xx firmware update for Lumia 950/950 XL. The availability of this update may depend on your phone model, region or network service provider. Key improvements in this release include:

• Stability fixes.
  • Improvements for GPS reliability.
  • Improvements for call audio quality.
I just hope that we can get these very important recent firmware updates soooooon.....lol!

Yannie Boy

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not only am I not able to get the latest firmware....which I realize I'll just have to sit and wait....but for reason...my 950 still refuses to see any updates past .29 no matter what "Ring" I'm in. :( Sad panda

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

You might want to try calling AT&T again and speaking to a different rep. It's possible that rep didn't know WTH they were talking about and just chose to try and sell you what their boss told them to promote. A lot of them don't take the time to learn about WP and aren't trained, and their boss likely tells them if they don't have a real answer just try shoving an iPhone or Galaxy down their throat.

theRealDarkFact

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
I had that problem as did friends with our 920s. So this round we just bought our phones and use straight talk to avoid att poor service and ridiculous pricing and the apple-centric sales pitches.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

It could be they found bugs during testing which is why ms released a newer one after. The question is whether the current bugs people are suffering are worse than what a new firmware update would introduce without testing . Then there's the fact that at&t likely had a list of issues based off customer feedback and to push an update that doesn't fix the issues could anger customers. So it's better to only make them go through the update process if in fact it helps with their issues. Next is the new build is likely ready for production. If so why not wait and do both the firmware and build at the same time. Less updates for customers. People don't like sitting there an hour for an update only to have to do it again week it two later. my guess is both firmware and latest OS will be pushed together on at&t.

webwevers

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
So, I was able to get to a Microsoft store this weekend. They confirmed that I had to have AT&T replace it. I called AT&T again and this time they are sending me out a refurbished one. They did say that they are having to replace a lot of the first batch they got in.

Kai Schrimpf

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am not quite clear on how these updates are supposed to be delivered.
I bought the Unlocked 950 Dual Sim directly from the MS Store.

While I do get the latest OS Build through insider fast ring, I am not receiving the Firmware updates.

Is this still controlled by AT&T even though the phone is not AT&T branded?
Are there ways to get the update installed any other way, or do i have to wait for AT&T to release it?

If all that is true, kind of defeats the purpose of an unlocked phone, unless I am doing something wrong.

C A T F I S H

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am not quite clear on how these updates are supposed to be delivered.
I bought the Unlocked 950 Dual Sim directly from the MS Store.

While I do get the latest OS Build through insider fast ring, I am not receiving the Firmware updates.

Is this still controlled by AT&T even though the phone is not AT&T branded?
Are there ways to get the update installed any other way, or do i have to wait for AT&T to release it?

If all that is true, kind of defeats the purpose of an unlocked phone, unless I am doing something wrong.

You well be ok because it is unlocked. Now I remember, you have to unenrolle from the preview program, then download the firmware and reenroll in the preview program.

KaiserKai

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
You well be ok because it is unlocked. Now I remember, you have to unenrolle from the preview program, then download the firmware and reenroll in the preview program.

Thanks Mate.
However this is not working for me.
I un-enrolled from the preview program but do not see any Firmware updates coming through.
My only fallback is that I am already on the .107 build from the preview, which I dont think has hit the production ring yet.
So maybe that causes a disconnect??

Other than that, no clue why I shouldn't get the Firmware update.

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Based on what others have posted here over the past couple months, it seems the unlocked phones in North America still have some geographic tie-in to AT&T firmware decisions. So unlocked NA 950/XLs should have the same firmware schedule as AT&T.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99