Where is the new 950 firmware for USA ATT 950's?

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked dual sim, on AT&T, no firmware update yet. The phone came with the .00027 already on it, so at least I got the first one.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
In AT&T's "defense", they're probably peeved too. The phone has been out, what 3 months, and Microsoft has already released 3 firmware updates? AT&T may have expected that the phone was "done" when Microsoft gave it to them and further updates would be going through the OS.

That said, I pray they don't just throw up their hands and give up on releasing firmware altogether.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
In AT&T's "defense", they're probably peeved too. The phone has been out, what 3 months, and Microsoft has already released 3 firmware updates? AT&T may have expected that the phone was "done" when Microsoft gave it to them and further updates would be going through the OS.

That said, I pray they don't just throw up their hands and give up on releasing firmware altogether.

No phone is ever "done" until it's EOL and you rarely see AT&T sitting on popular android updates for too long..... well, not as long as Windows updates on their devices.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I have an locked AT&T L950 and like everyone have no firmware update. I've been envious of those who bought their L950s directly from MS as they have gotten the firmware update.

Then I realized that I could go to AT&T and pay off my phone (paying the same as anyone who bought theirs directly from MS) and AT&T will give me a code to unlock my phone. At that point, I have an unlocked AT&T phone. Is that any different than an unlocked phone from MS (aside from HD Voice)? Will I get the firmware updates directly from MS if I have an unlocked AT&T phone?

If so, then I've effectively "undone" my decision to buy my phone from AT&T rather than MS. The problem for me is that the real reason I bought from AT&T rather than MS was to get the Next 12 payment plan. This allows me to return my L950 next year and grab a Surface phone should they actual come to be. If I buy outright, I lose the ability to return a partially paid off phone.

Yannie Boy

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have an locked AT&T L950 and like everyone have no firmware update. I've been envious of those who bought their L950s directly from MS as they have gotten the firmware update.

Then I realized that I could go to AT&T and pay off my phone (paying the same as anyone who bought theirs directly from MS) and AT&T will give me a code to unlock my phone. At that point, I have an unlocked AT&T phone. Is that any different than an unlocked phone from MS (aside from HD Voice)? Will I get the firmware updates directly from MS if I have an unlocked AT&T phone?

If so, then I've effectively "undone" my decision to buy my phone from AT&T rather than MS. The problem for me is that the real reason I bought from AT&T rather than MS was to get the Next 12 payment plan. This allows me to return my L950 next year and grab a Surface phone should they actual come to be. If I buy outright, I lose the ability to return a partially paid off phone.

Now I could be mistaken so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Unlocking the phone isn't the issue. It's purchasing a ATT branded 950. Your phone can be unlock but will still retain the Model Number/Info that ties it back to ATT when checks against updates are done, hence why the ATT variants haven't gotten anything yet. I myself have a ATT branded 950, but don't use them as a service. I merely wanted the device off contract for a different provider. Same situation as it's ATT branded, I'm blocked from the firmware too. Now, there are methods from Unbranding and changing Registry keys to go around these issues but outside of that, there's no real other option aside from getting the MS sold varient.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Now I could be mistaken so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Unlocking the phone isn't the issue. It's purchasing a ATT branded 950. Your phone can be unlock but will still retain the Model Number/Info that ties it back to ATT when checks against updates are done, hence why the ATT variants haven't gotten anything yet. I myself have a ATT branded 950, but don't use them as a service. I merely wanted the device off contract for a different provider. Same situation as it's ATT branded, I'm blocked from the firmware too. Now, there are methods from Unbranding and changing Registry keys to go around these issues but outside of that, there's no real other option aside from getting the MS sold varient.

Can anybody else weigh in on this? I'd like to know if this info as accurate (not that I'm doubting you Yannie) I just want to be absolutely sure. Because I will go pay off my phone right now if that means I can actually get the firmware updates.

Thanks!

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Can anybody else weigh in on this? I'd like to know if this info as accurate (not that I'm doubting you Yannie) I just want to be absolutely sure. Because I will go pay off my phone right now if that means I can actually get the firmware updates.

Thanks!

It's 100% accurate. when an Unlocked phone is mentioned, it usually mean sim unlocked AND unbranded. Unlocking a branded phone only gets you a sim unlock. you are still stuck waiting on AT&T to push updates (in this case, firmware)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Some phones can get around this by flashing a different ROM to the device. Unfortunately, the AT&T 950 is RM-1105, the single-SIM 950 everywhere else in the world is RM-1104. Yes, AT&T demanded and got their own exclusive, different hardware build than the rest of the world.

What this means is that unbranding is not a viable option. Since there is no such thing as an unbranded RM-1105, you can't just download some other country's rom and flash it. Unlocking gives you the option to take that phone to another carrier, but it will still be AT&T that decides when and if you ever get a firmware update for it.

Last edited:

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Some phones can get around this by flashing a different ROM to the device. Unfortunately, the AT&T 950 is RM-1104, the single-SIM 950 everywhere else in the world is RM-1105. Yes, AT&T demanded and got their own exclusive, different hardware build than the rest of the world.

What this means is that unbranding is not a viable option. Since there is no such thing as an unbranded RM-1104, you can't just download some other country's rom and flash it. Unlocking gives you the option to take that phone to another carrier, but it will still be AT&T that decides when and if you ever get a firmware update for it.

PepperdotNet,

You know your stuff well, however you made a slight mistake (100%sure it is a typo)...AT&T Branded 950 is RM-1105, where as single-SIM 950 everywhere else in the world is RM-1104...lol. I just corrected politely as I do not want our collective membership to get slightly confused..:wink:

mkurfis

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I asked @ATTCares about this. They don't know, and couldn't be bothered to find out. Fed me some line about how they don't have any contact with the firmware testing team, and don't have any way to get info about the release date for the next firmware release. SMH

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I just messaged them. And a few other accounts. If everyone here pestered them then maybe we can get an answer

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb