Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So, last week I upgraded my girlfriend's phone from the 1020 to the 950. Phone is great except for what appears to be crappy call quality. When I call her, 80% of the time it is almost as though I can hear EVERYTHING in her background, a far cry from the phenomenal sound cancelling of older Lumias. There is also often an echo. Today she was at the supermarket and I swear to god all I heard were the registers, carts, and other customers. I could barely hear her. Is this normal for this device? Faulty firmware? Faulty hardware? Thanks in advance.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This may be caused by having "hey Cortana" enabled. It was addressed AFAIK in OS updates. Try disabling it: Cortana->Notebook ->Settings

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not a hardware issue. It's a know issue with Cortana interfering with incoming calls. To be more specific, the Hey Cortana feature is the culprit. Turning off Hey Cortana should fix the issue.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This may be caused by having "hey Cortana" enabled. It was addressed AFAIK in OS updates. Try disabling it: Cortana->Notebook ->Settings

It's not a hardware issue. It's a know issue with Cortana interfering with incoming calls. To be more specific, the Hey Cortana feature is the culprit. Turning off Hey Cortana should fix the issue.

And Hey Cortana keeps the external mics turned on during a call? It's truly frustrating. I'll ask her to try it. The echo that it causes during calls makes me hate speaking to her.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure its not HD Calling that you're experiencing?

HD calls sound great! Noise cancellation works with HD voice too, well...until Hey Cortana breaks that. But no, Hey Cortana still interferes with those incoming calls too. All the noise that supposed to be cancelled out just sounds clearer now. ;-)

Anyways, to keep those incoming HD calls background noise free hey cortana has to stay off for now. Hopefully, once these newer firmware and windows updates go they live they might fix it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss