09-23-2016 10:08 AM
38 12
tools
    Does the 950, or in fact windowns 10, support external AMPs/DACs?
    To improve music quality I'd like to connect one and then connect my headphones to the external AMP/DAC.
    Guytronic and TheChazas like this.
    01-09-2016 04:28 PM
    Windows phones are going to need full OTG support for a DAC to work for audio.
    So far this hasn't happened.

Sure would be a nice feature.
    01-09-2016 06:22 PM
    Windows phones are going to need full OTG support for a DAC to work for audio.
    So far this hasn't happened.

Sure would be a nice feature.
    I have just bought a usb-c to usb-a adapter and an audioengine D3 D3 24-bit DAC

I will be using it mainly for a PC, but will report back on whether it works on the 950. I have read some reports that it does work.
    Guytronic and SnailUK like this.
    01-10-2016 07:06 AM
    Just to confirm that this DAC does indeed work with the 950.
    Sound quality is clearer and louder.
    No problems at all, plugged in the USB-C to A adapter, DAC into adapter, headphones into DAC.
    The DAC is thumb drive size so its adds no real bulk to a normal phone to headphone set up.
    Well done windows 10!
    Guytronic, TheChazas, SL2 and 2 others like this.
    01-11-2016 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the info, audiophile!
    jayramphone likes this.
    01-11-2016 09:56 AM
    Oh and maybe you can show the build you did? one photo would be nice.
    01-11-2016 12:00 PM
    Oh and maybe you can show the build you did? one photo would be nice.
    I wouldnt call it a build, just a simple DAC between the headphones and phone - will try and post a pic with another camera.
    01-11-2016 12:35 PM
    Just wanted to see what DAC and Adapters you use and how much space it takes.
    01-11-2016 12:46 PM
    Here is the pic

The two lights on the DAC represent power and also that music is playing @24bit, 96khz.. The latter surprised me a little as wasn't sure the 950 would stream at that level (music in the pic is coming from Groove - it might be the DAC upscaling I guess?).

I went for the adapter that is wired to the USB-A end because I didnt want any pressure on the USB-C in this set up with one of those solid adapters. Essentially the adapter end and DAC just become a link in the cabling (more flexible)
    Attached Thumbnails img_0348.jpg  
    Last edited by jayramphone; 01-11-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Joe920, Guytronic and TheChazas like this.
    01-11-2016 01:04 PM
    Amazing, it absolutely does not take any space, DAC is really small. I myself listen to a 96Hz and 24Bit .flac
    Can you list names of DAC and Adapter? would really like a bit more louder and cleaner sound, plus maybe would help with static noise, etc. from headphones jack.: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...s-jittery.html

Thanks
    01-11-2016 01:16 PM
    Amazing, it absolutely does not take any space, DAC is really small. I myself listen to a 96Hz and 24Bit .flac
    Can you list names of DAC and Adapter? would really like a bit more louder and cleaner sound, plus maybe would help with static noise, etc. from headphones jack.: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...s-jittery.html

Thanks
    The DAC is the one in the link in an earlier post - Audioengine D3. Here again :
    Audioengine D3 Premium 24 Bit Digital Anaolgue Convertor (DAC) USB Audio Amplifier: Amazon.co.uk: TV

The adapter is this one:
    TROND AC6 USB Type C Cable Adapter , For Apple MacBook: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have not yet tested the battery drain over a long period of time. The DAC is usb powered so will drawing from the phone.

Note the DAC also includes an adapter to send the sound to powered speakers, and of course you can also use it on any PC with headphones. I have a very top end PC and it still improves the sound, whilst my wifes mid range PC gets a significant improvement in sound.
    Last edited by jayramphone; 01-11-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    01-11-2016 01:25 PM
    Thanks, what SoundCard do you have on your PC or do you use External SoundCard?

About the battery, please do report after a while how is the drain, for me it would be less a bit, because when I am not listening through audio speakers, mostly I use only Earphones.
    01-11-2016 03:52 PM
    I debated a headphone amp after finding the beats audio on the HTC 8x amazing vs. any phone since...but instead went for some blue tooth headphones, AKG Y50 BT as in essence it's the same thing for me, better audio than cabled headphones and no wires. Perfect :)
    01-11-2016 03:57 PM
    No problems at all, plugged in the USB-C to A adapter, DAC into adapter, headphones into DAC.
    The DAC is thumb drive size so its adds no real bulk to a normal phone to headphone set up.
    Well done windows 10!
    Thanks for the update about this.
    I had no idea this function had become available.
    This will be important for many users who are into good audio.

Another plus for 10 and Microsoft phones.
    Laura Knotek and TheChazas like this.
    01-11-2016 04:10 PM
    Thanks, what SoundCard do you have on your PC or do you use External SoundCard?

About the battery, please do report after a while how is the drain, for me it would be less a bit, because when I am not listening through audio speakers, mostly I use only Earphones.
    Hi - my PC is currently running off the motherboard integrated sound. So when I say high end, I mean high end of a motherboard (!). Mobo is an X99 Extreme which uses the Crsytal Sound 2. I am moving to a Presonus sudio interface and powered speakers (KRKs), so the DAC I bought is mainly for the phone and wifes PC which uses awful onboard audio.
    01-12-2016 01:37 PM
    Love KRK monitors! Oh and PreSonus is some serious hardware, by any chances not only audiophile yourself, but making music too?
    I gonna really look into that DAC, really could use little portable one, so thanks to you.
    InsGadget likes this.
    01-12-2016 02:45 PM
    Love KRK monitors! Oh and PreSonus is some serious hardware, by any chances not only audiophile yourself, but making music too?
    I gonna really look into that DAC, really could use little portable one, so thanks to you.
    Some music creation, yes, but very much hobby based.

In terms of the battery drain using the DAC, it is working out at 14% per hour, so c7hrs of music plating through the DAC on a full charge.
    01-13-2016 08:01 AM
    Cool, looking to DAC, Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 for myself.
    01-13-2016 09:53 AM
    Cool, looking to DAC, Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 for myself.
    Yep - that one has very good reviews. If it doesnt work you can always send it back!
    01-13-2016 11:13 AM
    Yeah, been reading those. It is just a little hard to get shipped to where I live. I guess in local audio stores it would be a hard find, and double priced as well.
    01-14-2016 06:44 AM
    @jayramphone, could you please try if the Butterfly will work on a L650?

Good work guys! I am eyeballing this: FiiO-Born for Music and Happy and will be checking my local shop for some auditioning. It believe it is also plug and play so it should work with the L950.

My L1520 is not due for upgrade so I am praying that USBaudio/LOD will be enabled via Firmware update.
    01-18-2016 03:46 AM
    Hi all,

I am using an external DAC via Bluetooth. Last year, I bought a B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver and I use it with my 950 in the car today. Since Lumia 950 supposedly supports aptX in A2DP the music is supposed to be very high quality (not lossless though), which is fine, because I am listening to music in the car and not in a soundproof recording studio so I prefer the convenience of wireless streaming.

Due to SD card space limitations I have my music on the phone in mp3 320kbps rather than FLAC.
    01-18-2016 07:30 AM
    After reading this post I ordered the Audioengine D3 both for better sound quality and some extra power. I received it yesterday but I am sending it back. On my L950 and my Phonak Audo PFE 232 the music through the DAC is less loud then through the standard audio exit. I expected it to be the other way around. When the maximum volume on the head phone connection is a 10 the DAC delivers an 8 at the most.
    01-22-2016 07:39 AM
    After reading this post I ordered the Audioengine D3 both for better sound quality and some extra power. I received it yesterday but I am sending it back. On my L950 and my Phonak Audo PFE 232 the music through the DAC is less loud then through the standard audio exit. I expected it to be the other way around. When the maximum volume on the head phone connection is a 10 the DAC delivers an 8 at the most.
    Isn't your complaint related to the amplifier on the D3 rather than the DAC? The phone might have an amplifier that produces louder sound than the D3 but it might still have a worse DAC.

Also, did you go through the Audioengine "break-in period" of 40-50 hours? Yes, it's not unreasonable to spend 40-50 hours listening to music since yesterday. :)
    mprebich likes this.
    01-22-2016 08:07 AM
    Isn't your complaint related to the amplifier on the D3 rather than the DAC? The phone might have an amplifier that produces louder sound than the D3 but it might still have a worse DAC.

Also, did you go through the Audioengine "break-in period" of 40-50 hours? Yes, it's not unreasonable to spend 40-50 hours listening to music since yesterday. :)
    First of all my post wasn't meant as a complaint but more as a warning for others that might try this to gain on volume. And yes you're probably right, my "complaint" is about the amplifier and not the DAC. And no, I didn't break them in for 40-50 hours because I don't think that will change much to the maximum volume the D3 produces. It might increase the already very good sound quality though
    01-22-2016 09:47 AM
38 12