Battery life in L950

ajprmaverick

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Oh well hopefully the surface phone has better battery life because this is not going to get fixed, the only thing that really standed out from windows os to me was the battery efficiency but now thats gone be it software or the phones hardware its just not acceptable.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with your statement; we shouldn't have to "hobble" the device by turning things off just to get through the day without the phone dying.
Of course you shouldn't have to, but I'm just posting to help people make the best out of the situation. Can't be anything wrong with that? You're not helping anyone.

Frankly it's a 100% engineering mistake (either hardware or software) if the best advice is to switch off apps that are designed to run in the background for a reason.
You have obiously not read the other thread, the experience is all over the place. It's not like everyone is unhappy, but those are get really frustrated, rightfully so. Something went bad, but not for everyone so it sounds more like a QC issue.

Let's say one app/feature was the reason for the battery drain, do I turn it off until it gets fixed, or do I say "I shouldn't have to"?...

Like I said, nobody should have to turn anything off, but that's just obvious.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I donno...but i have good battery life...i have Lumia 950 ds as the main phone and lg g4 as 2nd...one thing i realised that the phone that's has 2k screen and brightness is high will take max battery juice...soo best keep brightness at 25% that's what i use on my lg g4...seeing by specs lg g4 and Lumia 950 ds have similar specs...and same battery capacity...
Now as Lumia 950 is my main phone lot of calls, what's app active full time with group msg and personal msgs. reading forums of WP central and wmpowersure...and my Lumia has around 20 apps allowed in background...with hey Cortana and windows hello active...now on lg G4 has more apps installed than Lumia as lg is much older than Lumia before that I had Lumia 1020....now i use lg for mainly for apps like eBay,snapchat,banking apps...but end of the day my 950 has more juice than my android phone....there are times i have got max life of 1 day 4 hours on my Lumia with medium use where lg g4 maxes out by 12 to 13 hrs and with very light use more than that...
One more setting helps in Lumia 950 is set mail to every hour....iam getting good battery life with Lumia 950ds

treeflip7

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I went to mexico and didn't have my AT&T cell service available. My batter was much better so I'm quite sure that AT&T is the problem. My standby time in Mexico (roaming off) was great, and while using the phone (games, camera, etc.) I noticed it was much better. I'm almost positive it's AT&T's fault. I hope the firmware update fixes it.

Also, there's a million of these threads. This one is not really necessary.

saputraj

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 devices running WP10: L1520, HTC M8 & L950. By far, L950 is the buggiest. It is slow & crash prone. It gets hot all the time. The battery life is awful (it lasts only 5 hours/charge). For me it is almost unusable. My device already runs the latest firmware. Already did hard reset twice and installed fresh.

Out of desperation, I decided to upgrade to Insider .63 this morning. Suddenly, it feels good. Battery life is much much better. Device also feels more robust. And the best part, it no longer feels hot. I expect the battery life to last at least twice of before.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you using a new or old SIM card?

I have the same issues in the UK with an unlocked L950 with Three. If I turn off the 3G/4G data and wifi then I get the kind of battery life I expected. A few unoptimised apps cause higher battery drain, but overall the problem for me is definitely the data connection.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I have had my phone for nearly a month now.

My current battery life is about 30hrs on a full charge (still running .29)

- a few calls each day - its used for business
- web browsing in the morning for 30 minutes or so with sporadic browsing daily.
- hourly checks of Tweetium
- about 2hrs of music a day
- about 2hrs of podcasts per day
- regular email checks through the day
- whatsapp and sms messaging occassionally through the day.
- occassional messing arounf with the phone (i like it so much I cant put it down yet!)

There are about 7-8 apps that I allow background processes for.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 devices running WP10: L1520, HTC M8 & L950. By far, L950 is the buggiest. It is slow & crash prone. It gets hot all the time. The battery life is awful (it lasts only 5 hours/charge). For me it is almost unusable. My device already runs the latest firmware. Already did hard reset twice and installed fresh.

I would be so pissed. That's unacceptable. Hopefully .63 works out for you!

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
AT&T L950 on .63 (fresh install) still sucking power like a drunk in a liquor store.

I've said this in multiple threads and I keep hitting MS feedback with it but my L950 seems to keep a nearly constant flow of data back and forth to the cellular network even though I'm on WiFi. The little data arrow above the cell signal bars is on almost continually and since I've seen an increase in data usage without changing my habits, I suspect this is a major cause of my battery woes. I was hopeful that the firmware would fix this but it appears unlikely.

This does not happen on my L640 on AT&T with .63 (also a fresh install) and it has stellar battery life.

Anyone else notice this issue??

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
On the previous build, my Airplane Mode Lumia 820 that I use solely as a media player would die in less than two days without use. On 8.1 and earlier builds of WM10, it would last a week in airplane mode without use. The battery drain seems to be back to normal in standby mode with .63

saputraj

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I would be so pissed. That's unacceptable. Hopefully .63 works out for you!

Agree. It's OK for me as I'm an experience & loyal user. However, several friends already dumped theirs and back to iOS/Android. Spending money which equals to an iPhone 6S/Note 5 for such a beta device is unacceptable. It's ironic that Microsoft ran the 'Beta Test' Ads several years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro