Battery life in L950

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Max i got was 1 day 10hrs. So thats roughly around 34 hours. I still had 20% left but since I had to head out to work , I had to put it on charge. Out of 34hrs , 8hrs was without Wifi or 3G connection on. I switch off Wifi and 3G before going to sleep. You might notice in the screenshot there is no Wifi and 3G. I had taken screenshot just after I woke up.

But that was only once. I guess it was the stock build or .36 not sure. Currently I am on .63 for my Lumia 950.

On an average I get around 18 hrs of battery life on the current .63 build. I am not sure if I should expect or not. Because coming from Lumia 820 which had meager 1650 mAh battery , this is an quite an upgrade. I do not panic or worry even my 950 hits 30% or below. I know if I go on battery saver mode I can survive another 3-4 hrs. But I feel 3000 mAh should give me around 24hrs.

As far as my usage pattern is concerned , i charge my phone in the morning to full 100%. Heavy use of whatsapp. Though I am connected to Wifi for approx 9hrs at work. I have dual sim cards inserted and network coverage at my place sucks. So i presume network coverage issue might be draining my battery.

Many have suggested to turn off lot of things to maximize battery life. I have Windows Hello on. I have 4 email accounts which are set to sync every 15mins. Bluetooth is off as i dont use. Wifi and 3G is on most of the time. I dont have that many background apps running. I have just kept the necessary ones like Weather , Whatsapp and other essential MS apps running in background. On call for say around 1 hour daily. Taking photographs , instagram browsing , reading news.

Someone suggested getting new sim card. I think , I will give that a go. Not sure how it will help maximize battery life. Current sim card were originally Micro Sims trimmed down to Nano Sim but i dont see any damage on them.

wp_ss_20151223_0002.jpg

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Are you using a new or old SIM card?

Can anyone explain , now does new SIM card make a difference. I know , sim card can get damaged while getting trimmed/crimped.

I had Micro SIM for my L820 which I had to trim to nano SIM for my L950. Though I did not notice any damage to the chip , I would love to give it a try if thats going to help increase battery life.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Can't you go to the AT&T store and have them copy the data from your old SIM card to a new nano-SIM card? Why are you guys cutting them yourself??

pablom0412

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Update .29 and new firmware, battery life is decent. I have it connected all day to wifi and my band (I disable data, I think it uses less battery when data is off) it lasted about 14 hours like you. I do not use much the browser but a lot of emailing and text editing in the word mobile. Mine does not heat when connected but it gets a bit warm when wireless charging it, as expected....

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Tuesday afternoon to Friday evening (now) with charging only once :-O
Yesterday (as you can see on my previous screenshots) evening I had 50% left, now 9% (at 15% the energy saver with only whatsapp in Background starts).

With absolutely normal use (as I used my 640 LTE with win8.1 for 48 hours) and not how u use a brand new phone - you all know what I mean ;) - It seems to be possible to use it nearly 1day20hours !!

9.jpg

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone explain , now does new SIM card make a difference. I know , sim card can get damaged while getting trimmed/crimped.
I can't explain why, but I've seen others here claiming that the battery lasted longer after they got a new SIM. It doesn't seem like the old card have to be damaged, it's more like it can be incompatible with the new phone.

mxzhonkey

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
My 950 (ATT) eats the battery. Average usage time for me is less than 8 hours, which is about the same as my 900 and 920 when they were new, not quite as good as the 1520 or 640 when new. I am a very heavy user though, so I expect it. Best battery life so far ( I got it on launch day) has been 22 hours, I was at my computer all day so I wasn't using the phone. I have everything on except NFC as I don't have a use for it. BTW when I borrowed a IPhone 6+ in August for a week average batter life was less than 10 hours, I expect when these phone are nearly that old it will equal it out.

mcgilli

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Trying a new SIM card sounds like telling someone who gets bad gas mileage in their vehicle to go and get a new key cut for their vehicle and that will improve their performance... But I bet some people would believe that :)

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Trying a new SIM card sounds like telling someone who gets bad gas mileage in their vehicle to go and get a new key cut for their vehicle and that will improve their performance... But I bet some people would believe that :)
As if the SIM card doesn't affect the connection to the network, one of the things that may drain the battery. Comparing the SIM card to a key is flat out stupid. You'd better compare it to a carburetor or fuel injection when it coes to network connection.
Your elaboration about how a SIM card affects the phone is totally useless and doesn't help anyone. It's worth trying a new card.

I think I may be onto something...

When I got this phone in the mail AT&T shipped a sim card with it. I tossed it aside and just used the sim out of my 1520. My brothers did the same with their new 950s, but not my wife. She used the sim that came with the phone. Meanwhile, her battery life has been great and me and my brothers has been lousy. Coincidence?

Anyway, this morning I swapped out the SIMs with the one AT&T shipped with the phone and activated it. Since doing that this morning with 92% battery life, I'm now down to only 89% at 2:00PM using the phone as I normally would. Previously I'd be at 50% by this point.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I think I'm onto something...

Warren Leggatt

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I have 950 running 10.0.10586.29 with the *02011 firmware. Never had an issue getting it through the day with few calls, a stack of background apps and moderate use including a good number of manual syncs with my Garmin which is constantly connected to the phone via bluetooth. Also 1+ of music playback.

Guess my definition of moderate use is different to others. The first few days I had the phone I had to charge during the day but I was new to WinPhone so kept tweaking my tile layout constantly and playing with Hello login and setup.

Obscht

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
God, Microsoft pleeeeaaaase don't make me give in and get an LG G4 or other Android device with large battery and SD card slot. I'm begging you...
My 3+ year old Lumia 920's battery has significantly degraded over time and I need to upgrade. The USB port is getting pretty loose too and a lot of my cables don't stay in. I guess I could spend $20 and get a new batter and USB port off ebay and refurbish the phone...

In terms of the loose USB port: over time there's a lot of dust getting into the port. Grab yourself a tiny needle and try to get it out. I've just done it on my 820 and it's as good as new. Think I'll keep waiting for the surface phone as hard as it is.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
What's the point of having a phone when you have to turn everything off.

W10 is a Fail!!!

You dont have to turn everything off. I have all the important background apps running and get decent battery life. It's about the same as my previous phone , an iphone 6 (and of course an iphone 6 has no concept of things like live tiles)

Coming here and stating 'W10 is a fail!' makes you sound like a troll.

ArmandsFM

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Removed the thing from charger as I left office on Friday - 17:50. Now 23:30 on Saturday it shows 40% of battery remaining or 9 hours and 55 minutes. WIFI running, background apps running. I was not even close to this with my L920 previously. Will see how far it goes.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Removed the thing from charger as I left office on Friday - 17:50. Now 23:30 on Saturday it shows 40% of battery remaining or 9 hours and 55 minutes. WIFI running, background apps running. I was not even close to this with my L920 previously. Will see how far it goes.

That's incredible battery life.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I charge my 950 up every 2 days. I took it off charge Tuesday 10pm and I still had 11% left by Thursday 8pm.

How long have you had it ? My battery seems to be getting better and better, just over a month in now.
My last charge was at 7:30pm yesterday, some 21hrs ago and I am currently on 46% battery life left - that is with a fair bit of podcast listening and calls and bit of browsing, plus 3 app downloads and set ups.Hoping to se eit imporve further to 2 days on a single charge with normal usage.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
What's the point of having a phone when you have to turn everything off.

W10 is a Fail!!!

U don't have to...i have around 20 apps running in background.and have windows hello and hey Cortana active...i get amazing battery life....i guess u just a troll here...iam still not on latest OS but on 29 and latest firmware have heard os 63 is even better on battery. I have got max 1 day 4 hours and on an avg get 15 to 16 hrs with medium use

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa