Battery life in L950

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You are lucky to be getting that great of battery life. I unplugged my phone at 11:33 AM and it is now 245 PM and the battery has discharged to 69% from 100 with extremely light usage. Its currently discarching at 23 % and I've checked battery saver and according to that the 84% is in use and 15.8 is in background. Funny thing is, only thing using background is Messaging + Skype and I've already logged out of Skype.
Running out of ideas! any suggestions?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thats true, of course... a smaller Resolution with a Windows 10 running nearly as effective as win 8.1 would have caused an Amazing battery time ;)
But also with that Display (i have in on 25% automatic) you can get real good battery life.
Just set my new record: 45 hours, so nearly 2 days. Light use, of course, but it was not just in standby.
Wifi, Lte, GPS and Glance Screen always on, downladed the 6Tag updates during that, some whatsapp conversations, took some German-Winter Pictures,..
So I can say: 36 hours with normal use is absolutely possible! If you have no Chance to Charge and mainly want to be accessible - the Lumia 950 can run 2 full days!

View attachment 120724
I have a question, are you using a Microsoft Band with your Lumia 950? I'm going to remove the Microsoft Health app and my Microsoft Band 2 and see if that helps.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I used it with "normal use" and had one day with 49% remaining.
No WhatsApp but I have "Hello", "Hey Cortana" and Location on.

http://i.imgur.com/0BiEyRQ.jpg

Can you advise if that is with wifi or mobile data? I have been tracking my usage and get it down to 0.5% (!) overnight, whilst it averages 3-5% on mobile data. There is definitely something that needs to be optimized on the mobile data radio.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You are lucky to be getting that great of battery life. I unplugged my phone at 11:33 AM and it is now 245 PM and the battery has discharged to 69% from 100 with extremely light usage. Its currently discarching at 23 % and I've checked battery saver and according to that the 84% is in use and 15.8 is in background. Funny thing is, only thing using background is Messaging + Skype and I've already logged out of Skype.
Running out of ideas! any suggestions?

Can you install a battery app from the store to track usage?

I assume you have tried clean install, recovery, etc, but that sounds like its struggling with a failed update or app that is no longer available.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
L950 single sim on .63 and latest 15506 firmware installed. with data connection always on, two email accounts syncing every day, not push!, facebook and messenger in background, weather and skype in background I get 1 day and a half, from 100% to 5-6%.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
L950 single sim on .63 and latest 15506 firmware installed. with data connection always on, two email accounts syncing every day, not push!, facebook and messenger in background, weather and skype in background I get 1 day and a half, from 100% to 5-6%.

Marius, do you also keep your Wifi on all time? BT off or on? What kind of emails accounts do you use?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Marius, do you also keep your Wifi on all time? BT off or on? What kind of emails accounts do you use?

Wifi is on all the time, as when I get home or to my office it will use wifi. Email accounts are: main outlook account and icloud. Outlook set to sync once a day as I normally check for emails manually every day so often syncing is useless for me and icloud syncs manually only. BT is off as I do not use it. Location is always on, Cortana is enabled without hey cortana, I use skype from the integrated messaging and skype, not the skype app. Connection is on 3G all the time but when home, where 3G signal is very weak and I cannot use the phone so I switch to 2G.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Wifi is on all the time, as when I get home or to my office it will use wifi. Email accounts are: main outlook account and icloud. Outlook set to sync once a day as I normally check for emails manually every day so often syncing is useless for me and icloud syncs manually only. BT is off as I do not use it. Location is always on, Cortana is enabled without hey cortana, I use skype from the integrated messaging and skype, not the skype app. Connection is on 3G all the time but when home, where 3G signal is very weak and I cannot use the phone so I switch to 2G.

Thanks for your detailed feedback! I take it you are satisfied with the battery on your 950, aren't you?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Can you install a battery app from the store to track usage?

I assume you have tried clean install, recovery, etc, but that sounds like its struggling with a failed update or app that is no longer available.
I've done all of the above and can tell you that I'm on latest insider build with no updates pending and all apps installed are still available in Windows Phone store. I do keep track of my drain with a battery app and I'm averaging 14% an hour. Idle the phone is at 7% drain. This is my third phone so I know its not the device but OS/ Firmware. Its an ATT phone so latest firmware has not been released for it.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I also want to note that on battery saver nothing is using large amounts of background power but the system is at 32 % display at 62 % wifi at 2 % and Cellular at 4 % . Like others noted before the main drainage comes when in use but it should drain 20%+ when checking a few texts... IMO

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I need help too. I have reset four times, started from scratch and reloaded all apps, removed apps, started all over again, hard resets, wifi off, wifi on, and so on and so on, and I have almost everything off and while I type, the back is hot and battery life is rapidly dropping. Sick of this phone!!!!!!

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
W10M features: and how they affect Battery drain?

Random hardware addresses for WiFi. L950/950XL only.
Authenticator.
Device Encryption.

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone with good battery life include some detailed statistics on what your battery saver says and if you have any battery tracking app?

Today is not a very good day for me, because I did an insider update (from .29 to .63) and played with the camera and a game.
I unplugged from the charger at 8:56 am and now (11:04pm) am at 27% with 7 hours 51 minutes remaining.
Now my stats are
18.8% System
78.7% Display
1.5% Wifi
1% Cellular data

91.4% In use, 8.6% Background

As for the tracking app I use Battery from Enless Soft. It's an old app but it works well and doesn't consume too much (<1% in 24h).
wp_ss_20160120_0001.jpg

Last edited:

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone with good battery life include some detailed statistics on what your battery saver says and if you have any battery tracking app?

Lumia 950, 0.63 and latest FM, with Hey Cortana, Hello, and a few email accounts syncing hourly

Overnight (i.e. on standby) with wifi I achieve 0.5-0.9% per hour, which Battery predicts to be worth 4.5 days!
On standby with mobile data it is nearer 3% per hour, but I need to do a few test runs to check this.
In use, Edge or other data apps (I use Nextgen Reader for RSS) it uses ~8-10% per hour.
On average, Battery predicts usage to be 3%, which is worth about 1.5 days.

Battery Saver is a bit buggy and crashy, but it estimates for the week:
System 35.6%
Display 53.3%
Wifi 2.5%
Mo bile data 8.6%

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Overnight (i.e. on standby) with wifi I achieve 0.5-0.9% per hour, which Battery predicts to be worth 4.5 days!
I noticed that yesterday, after closing the mobile data to test something and forgot to turn it on.
On standby with mobile data it is nearer 3% per hour, but I need to do a few test runs to check this.
Mine (wifi and mobile data) is closer at 1.2-1.5%, but I need to run more tests.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Little optimization and not use all good things at same time i get at least a whole day. Last time i charged was yesterday 11:00 PM to 100% and today is 09:30PM next day and my lumia has 46% left.

Little calls, web browsing, telegram (whatsapp almost)

Build .29 and no insider. I don't trust insider updates, wait public updates :)
When home, wifi, out of home 3G internet
I think i dont afraid anymore that my phone dont go whole day... It goes better by himself (Y)

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Worse battery life in a smart phone that I have ever owned. My 900 and 1520 were better. The 1520 that is two years old still crushes this thing and that battery is significantly worst then when I bought it. I have to charge it 3 - 4 times a day during moderate use. Just glad it has the quick charge, so it really has been okay since I usually have the 30 or so minutes to recharge here and there. The battery life has been my biggest disappointment of the 950, besides the general lag on everything on the device. I guess coming from the beast 1520 i expected some of this, but not this bad. Dont get me wrong besides these two issues it is a great phone. I dont buy a phone to turn everything off. Now I do turn off stuff I dont use normally. I really do like the 950, it is way better than my first impressions from the leaked screen shots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans