08-08-2016 10:40 AM
160 123 ...
tools
    Lets have this thread dedicated to discussing all the battery issues related to Lumia 950.

As per Daniel's review, L950 is supposed to have a 'solid' battery life.

I am definitely not satisfied with the battery life of the dual-sim variant of L950. With minimal to moderate usage, the best I could get is a maximum of 14hours.

Also there are lots of bugs; say if you are doing a soft reset or restarting after a full charge, your battery will be down to 95%, and at 5% the phone shuts down automatically. So basically we just have 90% of the 3000 mAh battery.
    Even while charging if you unplug and do a reset, your battery percentage would increase by significant amount. Also, the phone stays always warm when charging, and if you've left your wifi ON it can get really warm.

Users of L950, how content are you with the battery life of the latest 'flagship' model from MSFT? Are you facing any issues as mentioned above?
    01-11-2016 12:14 AM
    Lumia 950 with .63 but no firmware.

The battery saver predicts ~20-24 hours. It lasts very well on standby (with either wifi or data turned on, makes no real difference), but as soon as I use any data actively through edge, nextgen news reader, facebook, etc, then the battery dies very fast and I can get a good 6-8 hours before running out. it also dies very fast when using the Overdrive ebook app, which makes no sense since that uses no data, and just a black screen and white text.

.63 update has made some difference, and it only runs warm now when accessing data. It is cool when charging.

I'm really not too happy with it at the moment since its really no better than my L920.
    01-11-2016 03:40 AM
    From other post:

On Lumia 950 .63 with newest firmware.

Everything seems stable and a little more responsive, but only in OS itself, not in Apps, etc. and Phone make less heat.

When multi-tasking, getting shutters, hangs, and so on, specially when browsing Internet, it is strange, you should not have any performance problems, when you have 3GB of RAM and Hexa-Core processor, have no issues with Lumia 830 on W10M , even 630 on WP8.1.

Battery, on stand-by is very good, but browsing Internet, no matter, Edge, UC Browser, Baconit, YouTube, it literally sucks battery in seconds. From 100% to 60% battery in only not even full 2 hours, with Battery Saving on and Brightness 25%. and nothing else in background.

Is it possible that installing firmware first, and only then updating from .11 to .36 and now to .63 could caused any problems?
    fly_branch likes this.
    01-11-2016 05:32 AM
    Lumia 950 with .63 but no firmware.

The battery saver predicts ~20-24 hours. It lasts very well on standby (with either wifi or data turned on, makes no real difference), but as soon as I use any data actively through edge, nextgen news reader, facebook, etc, then the battery dies very fast and I can get a good 6-8 hours before running out.

.63 update has made some difference, and it only runs warm now when accessing data. It is cool when charging.

I'm really not too happy with it at the moment since its really no better than my L920.
    So looks like there's nothing different with regards to the battery performance with the .63 update.

As you had pointed out, even mine with the build .29 and the firmware update, the phone lasts for 8 hours when using FB messenger, whatsapp, shooting few pics and syncing emails.

Good to know they've fixed the warming up issue when charging.

Same here, except for the camera and slight increase in performance speed, L950 is not much better than my 3 year old L920 running W10 with build xxx.63
    01-11-2016 05:49 AM
    It is really strange, I instantly noticed that no OS update or firmware does not increased battery life, only on stand-by a little better, firmware promises on battery was truly not real.

Yes battery got a little better over time, since I have it for more than two weeks, but is not good at all.
    Full 100% charge on battery saver says 2 days max, without anything in background or WiFi.

So is that battery problems, or OS, I have no idea, just hope it gets better over time and updates. Thinking on Hard Reset soon.
    Shkupjani likes this.
    01-11-2016 05:58 AM
    It is really strange, I instantly noticed that no OS update or firmware does not increased battery life, only on stand-by a little better, firmware promises on battery was truly not real.

So is that battery problems, or OS, I have no idea, just hope it gets better over time and updates. Thinking on Hard Reset soon.
    Standby time is okay, nothing so good.

The last firmware update = No changes in battery life.

Hard reset also won't make any difference. I tried it thrice since 2 weeks I got the phone, yet no changes.

Do you also have the bug where battery drops 5% when doing a reset or turning off & turning back on after a full charge?
    01-11-2016 06:59 AM
    Do you also have the bug where battery drops 5% when doing a reset or turning off & turning back on after a full charge?
    Have not checked on that, will do later.
    01-11-2016 07:01 AM
    yea it does it on mine also shut down the phone loses 5% and shuts off when its at 5% too. Thats why I bought an original battery for the 950xl I don't worry about making through the day no more I just pop that sucker in and back to 100%
    01-11-2016 10:16 PM
    yea it does it on mine also shut down the phone loses 5% and shuts off when its at 5% too. Thats why I bought an original battery for the 950xl I don't worry about making through the day no more I just pop that sucker in and back to 100%
    Can you site the source where spare batteries for L950 & L950XL are available? Sure most people would prefer to get a spare one.
    01-11-2016 11:03 PM
    The .63 update for non-insiders is rumoured to be available tonight. Hopefully along with the pre-existing firmware & the new update lets see if that makes any change with performance in battery.
    01-11-2016 11:06 PM
    01-11-2016 11:25 PM
    I hope they solve the battery drain problems at some point. I have tried everything. Not much of a flagship so far - more of a failedship.
    Shkupjani likes this.
    01-11-2016 11:44 PM
    From the other 950 battery thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3337401

These are just suggestions for what to try out, it's not like you should have to disable everything.
    - Use a new SIM card.
    - Perform a hard reset if you haven't done it yet, using the buttons!
    - Don't restore your settings from a from a WP8.1 backup.
    - Remove the SD card, it may be faulty.

Turn off:
    - Cortana
    - Glance
    - Hello
    - 4G LTE
    - Bluetooth
    - NFC
    - "as items arrive" in email sync settings
    - Feedback & Diagnostics
    - Page prefetch in Edge
    - Mobile hotspot (besides the one in Action center)
    Last edited by SL2; 01-14-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    01-12-2016 02:46 AM
    These are all good ways of generally saving battery, and certainly well worth turning everything off, and then progressively back on again to find specific drains. Unfortunately, the main power consumption on my device is definitely when it is in use, and particularly when accessing data/radios. The standby life is already great, so no matter what I turn on/off it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have also tried a few resets, including installs from WP8.1 and WM10 backups, and it didn't make any discernible difference.
    01-12-2016 03:41 AM
    yea that what ticks me off people saying great battery life but come on turn in off every feature is not a solution
    Shkupjani and cheesemoo like this.
    01-12-2016 06:47 AM
    From the other 950 battery thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3337401

These are just suggestions for what to try out, it's not like you should have to disable everything.

Hey look, on this phone you don't even have to worry about turning those features off!! And the battery lasts for DAYS!
    01-12-2016 08:42 AM
    yea that what ticks me off people saying great battery life but come on turn in off every feature is not a solution
    You're just repeating what I said, they are suggestions.

I guess you have tried new SIM cards as well?
    01-12-2016 09:39 AM
    I agree with your statement; we shouldn't have to "hobble" the device by turning things off just to get through the day without the phone dying. Frankly it's a 100% engineering mistake (either hardware or software) if the best advice is to switch off apps that are designed to run in the background for a reason.

When Steve Jobs told iPhone users to "hold the phone differently" a few years ago because the antenna was being covered by the users hand, the whole world blew up and went insane with Apple for a sloppy design. Apple eventually backed down, accepted the issue for what it was and offered new iPhone owners a cover to try and sort the issue out.

Frankly, whether this is a hardware or software issue is irrelevant. Although it's a bit of a 1990's solution, Microsoft should be putting a spare battery in the box.

Oh, and my 950 gets barely 5 hours out of the day with moderate use. I've tried hard resetting the phone a few times, it doesn't help.
    Shkupjani and HinoMusouka like this.
    01-12-2016 11:39 AM
    Battery is just rubbish.

Posted via the Blackberry Priv
    01-12-2016 12:54 PM
    God, Microsoft pleeeeaaaase don't make me give in and get an LG G4 or other Android device with large battery and SD card slot. I'm begging you...
    My 3+ year old Lumia 920's battery has significantly degraded over time and I need to upgrade. The USB port is getting pretty loose too and a lot of my cables don't stay in. I guess I could spend $20 and get a new batter and USB port off ebay and refurbish the phone...
    Shkupjani likes this.
    01-12-2016 01:45 PM
    Oh well hopefully the surface phone has better battery life because this is not going to get fixed, the only thing that really standed out from windows os to me was the battery efficiency but now thats gone be it software or the phones hardware its just not acceptable.
    01-12-2016 03:08 PM
    I agree with your statement; we shouldn't have to "hobble" the device by turning things off just to get through the day without the phone dying.
    Of course you shouldn't have to, but I'm just posting to help people make the best out of the situation. Can't be anything wrong with that? You're not helping anyone.

Frankly it's a 100% engineering mistake (either hardware or software) if the best advice is to switch off apps that are designed to run in the background for a reason.
    You have obiously not read the other thread, the experience is all over the place. It's not like everyone is unhappy, but those are get really frustrated, rightfully so. Something went bad, but not for everyone so it sounds more like a QC issue.

Let's say one app/feature was the reason for the battery drain, do I turn it off until it gets fixed, or do I say "I shouldn't have to"?...

Like I said, nobody should have to turn anything off, but that's just obvious.
    01-12-2016 03:28 PM
    I donno...but i have good battery life...i have Lumia 950 ds as the main phone and lg g4 as 2nd...one thing i realised that the phone that's has 2k screen and brightness is high will take max battery juice...soo best keep brightness at 25% that's what i use on my lg g4...seeing by specs lg g4 and Lumia 950 ds have similar specs...and same battery capacity...
    Now as Lumia 950 is my main phone lot of calls, what's app active full time with group msg and personal msgs. reading forums of WP central and wmpowersure...and my Lumia has around 20 apps allowed in background...with hey Cortana and windows hello active...now on lg G4 has more apps installed than Lumia as lg is much older than Lumia before that I had Lumia 1020....now i use lg for mainly for apps like eBay,snapchat,banking apps...but end of the day my 950 has more juice than my android phone....there are times i have got max life of 1 day 4 hours on my Lumia with medium use where lg g4 maxes out by 12 to 13 hrs and with very light use more than that...
    One more setting helps in Lumia 950 is set mail to every hour....iam getting good battery life with Lumia 950ds
    SL2, barnyr and Sedp23 like this.
    01-12-2016 04:07 PM
    I went to mexico and didn't have my AT&T cell service available. My batter was much better so I'm quite sure that AT&T is the problem. My standby time in Mexico (roaming off) was great, and while using the phone (games, camera, etc.) I noticed it was much better. I'm almost positive it's AT&T's fault. I hope the firmware update fixes it.

Also, there's a million of these threads. This one is not really necessary.
    SL2 likes this.
    01-12-2016 04:14 PM
    One more setting helps in Lumia 950 is set mail to every hour.
    Exactly, small things can make a big difference.
    01-12-2016 04:38 PM
160 123 ...