anyway to turn off RAW image?

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off the RAW image for all photos? This takes up a lot of space on my SD Card. I just want the standard photos to be saved on my lumia 950.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

You are about to throw away a powerful tool. Until you've used and familiarized yourself with dng and what it can do, it is hard to make an informed decision.

Shooting jpg + jpg -vs- jpg + dng, the difference in space is going to be hardly worth the change. Rich Capture, Dynamic Flash and Living Images are what you will find to be the real culprits here. Again, powerful tools you probably don't want to rashly throw away. But they do make a lot of files.

I don't know how much stuff you have on your SD card or what size it is, but you can always transfer some to PC and free up space. On my phone I have 32GB internal. I keep all Apps on phone for performance. I have Maps as well, the entire US, so 4.25 GB worth. My phone is 15 months in use and I have 17 GB free. I'm not cramped for space.

I keep consumable media on my card, also 32 GB, and I save photos and videos I take there. IMHO that is the card's job. Not to store everything for ever and ever, but to store what is appropriate. I never run out of space on my cards either. But I do have literally thousands of photos on my laptop that I have taken with this current phone.

Manage your resources and triage your photos.

Some pics, the smaller jpg is fine. And when you xfer to PC that is all you save. But I have hundreds of higher quality post processed from dng shots saved in a high res format. I need to save more of the dng files as well. I'm getting there though. Becoming more thoughtful about my processes and management. There are many extraneous files you will simply discard after xfer though.

Take a look at these threads to help understand what all those files are and what they do:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/gu...-10-mobile-rich-capture-lighting-your-pc.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/gu...-windows-10-mobile-living-images-your-pc.html

Imma reprint this from elsewhere:

On my 1520 running 8.1 Update + Denim...

I shoot 5MP jpg + 16MP dng (what can I say, I'm a 16:9 kind of guy).

The 5MP is great for sharing out and it is oversampled so quality is high compared to a regular 5MP shooter. I believe 950/XL ups this to 8MP? Nice bonus. And that size is more convenient for sharing, especially straight from the phone where most share methods will compress the photo anyway.

Plug into USB and get your .dng files if you want to save them. I go through and purge from my phone every so often as the files that accumulate will eat up a lot of storage pretty fast. Save what you want to PC and unclog your card. You have lots of options for raw/dng editing on desktop and a search will reveal them.

Put Rawer on your phone and edit the .dng files right on your device and save them as .jpg in high quality and resolution.

If you shoot jpg+dng and use Rich Capture, the bracketed originals are saved as dng files and you have a choice of the original or the +ev or -ev. Neat trick that, IMHO. Here is one I shot in Rich Capture recently, then opened the +0.5ev dng in Rawer and tweaked just a bit. Result is 5376x3024 or 16.3MP at a 5.27MB file size. Just a couple small tweaks made it much better than the "original" to my eye. http://1drv.ms/1VBYFuW

Here's a thing about .dng, it is lossless. With .jpg, every time you open it to view or manipulate it it degrades slightly. Over time this can add up. With .dng (and .raw) the file never degrades and is fresh every time you view or manipulate it. You can "print" .jpg from it over and over in the same or different edits and maintain quality on each "print."

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I usually take 200-500 photos in a good photo trip and I really can't edit all those dng files. It doesn't help that I don't have dng editing software. I still have 500 photos in dng format that I have yet to convert to jpeg 4 months down the line

So I would say this, use DNG only if you already have experience with them and that you have the time and money to invest in the software. Rawer as far as I can remember does mostly the basic stuff like change contrast, brightness etc

Lumia 1020
Kenya

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12