Just a question on paying off an ATT 950 to get it unlocked..

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Once you get it unlocked whether you're moving to T-Mobile or staying with AT&T does the fact it's been unlocked allow you to get firmware updated via the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT).

I read here all the time and am quite unclear about it at this point and I'm sure someone will explain what I don't understand now.

Thanks.. MG

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Once you get it unlocked whether you're moving to T-Mobile or staying with AT&T does the fact it's been unlocked allow you to get firmware updated via the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT).

I read here all the time and am quite unclear about it at this point and I'm sure someone will explain what I don't understand now.

Thanks.. MG
ATT phones are notoriously bad after "unlocking".

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.. MG

Firmware changes would be carrier pushed OTA, but should also come to the device file in WDRT as well. The difference being that via WDRT you would then be going through a reset and setup each use of the tool.

The ATT OTA will find your device no matter what SIM is in it or if it is even SIM-less and on WiFi only.

Now... will ATT push more firmware to this phone? IDK.

Will you get other firmwares besides ATT? Nope.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone... I guess this will be the last carrier branded phone I buy... Unless there is a rapid change in what happens this time around compared to past performance. I cannot see AT&T worrying about a Microsoft phone so I guess I'll just have to become a believer if their ways of doing business change or walk away from them for good. Hopefully one of my more programming endowed friends will find a way to fix this one day soon... Just an afterthought. I could have gotten by with a much less expensive phone but like a lot of you I'm sure, I like new toys and this one seems pretty special... I can't seem to escape thinking Continuum if presented right will change the face of mobile phones. Yea my phone seems to reboot a bit more lately since the last update but I sure seem to like to play with it more than my other one.

MG

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would personally rather Microsoft push the latest firmware and OS updates to the WRT server so that those of us who understand the risk we are taking could install as we like.

Only people who follow the smartphone scene here, and other sites such as this, like we do even know about the WRT and Nokia Recovery Tools.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're planning to use them on Tmobile, they usually only run on Edge speed. They force manufacturers to only put ATT radio bands.

LOL - T-Mo is the odd duck here using Band 4 AWS for H+ when for most other carriers Band 4 AWS is used for LTE...

In fact that is the cause of the refarming T-Mo is doing. Putting Band 4 to work as LTE and then putting H+ on 1900 where it is with most any other carrier using the same frequencies.

T-Mo was late rolling out H+ so they used the Band 4 the FCC put on auction for LTE rollouts to beef up their sagging H+ and are now coming behind themselves playing catchup.

1700 uplink / 2100 downlink as H+ capacity (which T-MoUS did and is now undoing) is the exception, not the rule. This situation has been becoming less common over the last 2 years.

If you want to point a finger at AT&T for footdragging it would be the use of Band 17 LTE (700MHz blocks b/c) which is narrower than Band 12 LTE (700MHz blocks a/b/c) due to worry about bleed through from an adjacent HD Television broadcast spectrum hardly used in any markets. Now AT&T has to play catchup and move to Band 12 without abandoning their customers they pushed Band 17 LTE handsets to.

The proliferation of very cost effective AT&T mvno carriers makes these frequency concerns a non-issue for many users.

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
LOL - T-Mo is the odd duck here using Band 4 AWS for H+ when for most other carriers Band 4 AWS is used for LTE...

In fact that is the cause of the refarming T-Mo is doing. Putting Band 4 to work as LTE and then putting H+ on 1900 where it is with most any other carrier using the same frequencies.

T-Mo was late rolling out H+ so they used the Band 4 the FCC put on auction for LTE rollouts to beef up their sagging H+ and are now coming behind themselves playing catchup.

1700 uplink / 2100 downlink as H+ capacity (which T-MoUS did and is now undoing) is the exception, not the rule. This situation has been becoming less common over the last 2 years.

If you want to point a finger at AT&T for footdragging it would be the use of Band 17 LTE (700MHz blocks b/c) which is narrower than Band 12 LTE (700MHz blocks a/b/c) due to worry about bleed through from an adjacent HD Television broadcast spectrum hardly used in any markets. Now AT&T has to play catchup and move to Band 12 without abandoning their customers they pushed Band 17 LTE handsets to.

The proliferation of very cost effective AT&T mvno carriers makes these frequency concerns a non-issue for many users.

Well. Truth is that the radio frequencies are very segmented. Verizon with their stone age CDMA network, T-Mobile with 3 bands totally incompatible with AT&T, and Sprint with their own CDMA.
That's why "unlocked" phones are usually useless, unless you buy directly from manufacturers and even then, sometimes they don't put the bands that you need. Total sh*t show.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3