Mobile Data Usage Gone Wild

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone on the 29th and it used up all my monthly data in 3 days I don't know dude
:grincry: :confused: screenshots?

Just find it hard to believe it would use that much data without any user interaction, maybe you had it set to update all apps on your mobile data connection along with onedrive sync for photos / videos?

balintmaci

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
:grincry: :confused: screenshots?

Just find it hard to believe it would use that much data without any user interaction, maybe you had it set to update all apps on your mobile data connection along with onedrive sync for photos / videos?

it's possible that I missed something, but I tried to set everything NOT to use metered connections. Cellular data should be a metered connection. I tried turning off OneDrive backup and location history but it still uses ****tons of data for no apparent reason.
I waited half a month until the new billing cycle thinking it would settle down but it didn't. Maybe I should update to an insider version

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
it's possible that I missed something, but I tried to set everything NOT to use metered connections. Cellular data should be a metered connection. I tried turning off OneDrive backup and location history but it still uses ****tons of data for no apparent reason.
I waited half a month until the new billing cycle thinking it would settle down but it didn't. Maybe I should update to an insider version

It's plausible you may have and if installing an insider build does stem the data usage then it's a rather glaring bug.

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Since I have had my 950 (unlocked Dual Sim) my data usage has sky rocketed. I have the same apps I used on my previous Lumia 1020. I can't figure out what the issue is. I have had data usage blocks of 640 MB and 340 MB at a time. I have data usage at 5am in the morning when I am at home and the phone should be connected to my wifi. It seems to make no sense.

Only became aware when I got a text from ATT that I had hit 75% usage. My allowance is 6 GB which and I have rollover. I had never come close to my data maximum until I started using my 950.

Being very careful now, but I think data sense has kicked in and it is actively restricting data usage but as soon as my new cycle starts again on Jan 19th I fear it will accelerate again with usage.

Open to ideas but I think there is a bug in how data is managed on the 950.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Open to ideas but I think there is a bug in how data is managed on the 950.

Lol. I am amazed by the weird issues that come out. However, if it is on the 950, it should be on other models also. But I don't see any issue on 6 phones that I have WM10 running.

You can check if the following options are setup correctly on your phone.

1) Check if you are automatically using Mobile Data when you don't have wifi. If yes, click the "Don't Allow" button.
data usage1.jpg

2) Check the phone updates page. It must show the message in the screenshot below. "Updates will not be downloaded over a metered connection".
data usage 2.jpg

The next setting is from the store when you have to setup "not to use metered connection" for app updates. With all these settings, the OS should not use data.

Also you can try switching off location for a day or two to check data usage when it is off.

Jueyles

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
My 950 has also churned an unexpected amount of mobile data in a couple days after setup. System is the culprit. I tripped over something in battery usage app list which isn't listed in data usage. Msgmmstransport when you look at details shows it's used 75% of my data usage. No searching has showed what it is but think perhaps sms backup downloading? Anyone else know?

flair77

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
When I did a clean reset it came with it. You can also do look in the store. It should be there. What are you struggling with it?

There's no HERE maps in the store - that's why I'm wondering how you got it. And the built-in MAPS app with the phone can't sync with favorites we had in the L920 HERE maps. Click the link, there's an entire post with people with the same complain.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Some devices have certain apps built into their ROMs that auto install even on hard reset.

For example my 1020 always installs some themestream app, some ereader app, and the HERE suite of apps after a hard reset.

On Topic:

My 1020 started eating through my mobile data and battery yesterday and today. Not sure why... About 500meg so far towards 'System'. No changes since I installed .63 when it released. Haven't encountered this on any other build, other than after first installing/hard reset.

KickMeInTheJunk

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Well, on the brightside, at least I'm, not crazy and others have the same issue. Bad part is, if it's a bug, it's a really bad bug, cost me $40 to get interim data for the month. Time to log it with Microsoft I guess.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
For what it's worth, I turned off 'Sync across devices' in the Messaging app settings and it seems to be back to normal. Phone is no longer warm and data/battery usage is back to normal. (for now)

Not sure why that was crushing my data/battery out of the blue since I've always had it on, but there ya go.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I turned off 'Sync across devices' in the Messaging app settings and it seems to be back to normal. Phone is no longer warm and data/battery usage is back to normal. (for now)

Not sure why that was crushing my data/battery out of the blue since I've always had it on, but there ya go.

Makes me wonder if there is not a problem on the backend. Restoring SMS and MMS messages after a reset has not worked well (partial and duplicate messages restored). Since many of us are having the same problem and this appeared after us not having a problem for so long, makes one wonder if the backend system isn't having issues. I'm turning this off as well so hopefully it will settle my usage down too. Mine has been using upwards of 200-300 meg per day in system data usage.

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This could very well get the problem. Ive been having massive battery problems latley. I spent a very relaxing weekend at my house connected to wifi the entire time and my battery problem was fixed! I was so excited until today when resonsivlity of the adult life made me go to work and spend the day connected to At&t and my battery drain problem came right back. Also when I go and check what apps use the most battery its always messaging. So my best guess is that the battery drain and data usage are connected. And from what you have said it could be its the 'sync across devices.' Ill try turning that off and see if it helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb