Why I will not buy a Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Pick up a 930 on Ebay, good price, excellent handset, runs Windows 10 very well too. I always buy my family's phones second hand (but in excellent condition), as buying them new is just ridiculous (to me). Anxiously waiting until I can pick up a 950 on Ebay for around ?200. Already saw one yesterday which has now sold for ?275, so hopefully not too long to wait, but wait I will, as Windows phones suit me best.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Are you a moderator in disguise Pete? I'm 67 and have time to look at threads like the bugs and defects before buying. That's because I want to avoid bad phones eating into my old age pension. Don't try watering down my valid remarks! Such lengthy threads are indicative of multiple problems that new phones should not have and as I said, WPC is not the only website critical of MS quality control. I came bearing the gift of my money for 2 phones but I leave dismayed at the attitude of MS and WPC. MS and WPC are Siamese twins and so I have tested the WP water before buying thoroughly. Samsung have not impressed me either because there are issues with them too. I shall avoid both of them due to the lack of trust issues and iphone will be avoided because of price. Right now I have crossed all 3 off my shopping list. Can you recommend a decent manufacturer which possesses all the attributes which MS, Samsung and iphone currently lack? My wife and I need a buttery smooth OS with a 13 MP main camera and a decent front camera with decent apps for facebook, Line, twitter.
Have you checked out the Nokia Lumia 730? I have the dual-sim version which I purchased in Thailand, and that is one stellar phone for the price. Silky smooth and I don’t recall ever reading about many quality issues with that particular phone. I could be wrong though.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I live in Caribbean, they don't stock Windows Phone here , only one store I've found Windows Phones, I been using Windows Phone for quite sometime, came from Nokia N8,Lumia 920,1020,830 & 930 and now Lumia 950,I along with my friends purchase from stores online unlocked since that's option we have. I usually purchase at Amazon,1Shopmobile, Expansys-USA , I know the phones aren't available at your local stores on payment plans but i'm sure you can get them online,I know Microsoft is focusing their efforts in certain markets, so I know we won't have Microsoft Store here anytime soon, but I've converted many persons in Windows Phones from Android and others. approximately 35 or so, 20 or so from work. Those converts also love what Microsoft offers.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been around a while and know how people are on the internet - a lot of them like to type, and complaining about something generates more discussion than praising something (and people who are generally happy seldom jump on the internet to say so, they just get on with life). As long as the internet has existed, there has been a general rule - the internet will give you what you're searching for. If you look for problems with something, you'll find stacks of results. You also don't have to believe everything you read.

The issues that people have with their phones are largely subjective - some things that don't cause concern to some people are huge things to other people. Yes, there are sometimes manufacturing defects, but the same thing happens with just about any manufactured product.

I just don't remember seeing all the negative posts, comments, and reviews about the Lumia 920 back in 2012/2013.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, there is no perfect mobile OS, just one that has most of the features you like.
webOS ;)

But seriously, you're correct. There is no perfect software, just software that allows you to work/play as you wish so that you'll tolerate its faults and shortcomings.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It says something about Microsoft's support of their mobile devices when they go EOL so quickly. Not exactly a confidence booster. Anyway, the 950 is just a placeholder until the Surface Phone is released. The moment the SP is released, Microsoft will drop the 950 like third period French.
It's actually about an average life span. The Lumia 930 lasted longer than average. And both phones are still getting software updates.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
The Lumia 900 was out for a grand total of 37 days when Microsoft announced that there would be no upgrade to WP8 from the 7.5 version. 37 days with a "flagship" model before learning it was a dead end.

As a former Lumia Icon owner I waited for months before learning the Cyan update wasn't coming at all. I waited months more for the buggy Denim update and eventually went iPhone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 900 was out for a grand total of 37 days when Microsoft announced that there would be no upgrade to WP8 from the 7.5 version. 37 days with a "flagship" model before learning it was a dead end.

As a former Lumia Icon owner I waited for months before learning the Cyan update wasn't coming at all. I waited months more for the buggy Denim update and eventually went iPhone.

No one can deny that MS had made many mistakes and still does, it's pointless to write them all here again. This thread should be about why anyone would not buy a 950, not about bugs from 930 or another of Ms's dropouts. I have owned a 930 too and yes, the quality control for the build case was horrible, the way the glass was stitched to the metal frame..made it pop out on many occasions, the overheating..etc etc 920 had issues with freezing at the beginning, 1520 had the scroll/tap issue etc etc. Yes, many had problems. But let's keep the talks in present, and offer your personal experience with a 950, if you have one..it would be more useful for a potential new user.

Myrkur

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I was mildly interested in the newest line-up. My L920 has started to show signs of aging, and I didn't consider L930 as a full-fledged flagship (no Glance etc.). Seeing hovewer that L950(XL) is somewhat plagued by bugs I've decided to choose a third way - that is I bought a mint-condition L930 for a fraction of a price of L950 XL. I've installed Win10M on it and... I must say I'm very happy so far.

richx757

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I like my experience with Windows Phone so far, as a newbie to the operating system, and it's the first quad-core phone I ever used so yeah its pretty great. Wait, is the 640 quad core? let me check...

OS Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8926 Snapdragon 400
CPU Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
GPU Adreno 305

ya, i figured it was either quad core or a quick dual core they were implementing for hardware in the lumia 640,
so far so good though no complaints here. i havent really been using the phone intensively, i've used it for basic services such as streaming media (YouTube is kind of limited in terms of the functions), messaging (not bad), calls (i was not impressed with call quality and i have had one dropped call), and I can tell you; it's a shame that the market is not there in Thailand for Windows phone. I would suspect that iPhone is eating away at the vendor customer base in Thailand or something because so far this furtunately has been an excellent entry level product.

luckygeezer

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I love our WPhones - 820 and 520. We will continue using them until 8.1 Denim fades away and dies. Our next new phones will be android. We wanted to continue our love affair with WP by buying new hardware but we no longer trust MS. Selling new phones knowing major problems exist is a huge betrayal of trust and until the MS leopard changes it's spots only diehard WP lovers will buy their products.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I love our WPhones - 820 and 520. We will continue using them until 8.1 Denim fades away and dies. Our next new phones will be android. We wanted to continue our love affair with WP by buying new hardware but we no longer trust MS. Selling new phones knowing major problems exist is a huge betrayal of trust and until the MS leopard changes it's spots only diehard WP lovers will buy their products.

I have a 950 and there are no major problems with it or Windows 10. Easily the best phone and OS I have used.

Why are people who call themselves WP fans so dramatic? Android is a mess, the update scheduling is a shambles and security is a big issue. Sure Android can do more and has more apps but you will have major issues on Android, that is guaranteed.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's perfectly fine for people to express a preference of what they wish to use, and it's ok to explore different directions.

luckygeezer

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
We were Nokia fans because we bought their phones and they never let us down. We bought the 820 for that reason. Then MS bought Nokia. We began to like the updates from MS culminating in the excellent 8.1 Denim. We were going to buy new MS phones shortly because we still love and will continue to use our 820 and 520 phones. Many reviewers (pocketnow is a good example) give honest appraisals of 950 and 950XL and we are fearful of buying a very expensive phone which still has such problems, despite what you say. Cheaper options to the 950 and 950XL are not available here because they have stopped making them (830 and 930) so we have tried to stay on board. We are not alone in reluctantly forming our current opinion about MS and WP - far from it! You will know that the promises of WP10 updates to older models has been postponed yet again - it is impossible to trust a company that behaves so poorly. No official statement from MS of course, just rumours - what a way to run a company! I downloaded W10 and used it for a while on my laptop because I was keen and excited to use it knowing WP10 was imminent - but that was months ago! I have grown so tired of the broken promises and continually reading WPC articles about the "imminent" updates. So we will use the tried and tested and excellent 8.1 on our 820 and 520 phones. I shall also take great delight in deleting WPC and a multitude of WP reviews - yes I thoroughly researched the topic and I am greatly unimpressed with WP and MS. MS started with a brilliant legacy - Nokia. Nokia phones were extremely popular in Thailand but because of MS blunders of marketing and imperfect products, it is extremely rare to see Lumias here now. MS has ruined the great opportunity it had. Thais expect quality goods for their hard earned money and were, and continue to be, badly let down by MS.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this mentality that it's wrong to complain about something on which we've spent our hard-earned money. It's the details that are frustrating me about my 950, a pervasive lack of polish and affects even basic functions. I haven't experienced major problems but I do run into issues doing everyday things. Even the phone and messaging apps are affected by glitches and there are graphical artifacts all throughout.

This is all basic stuff and things your average user will experience on a daily basis. I think most Apple products are overrated, but they definitely don't overlook these details. I see a lot of criticism here about Android phones, but I've spent some time with a Nexus phone and I think it's fantastic. I have some criticisms of the UI, but otherwise it's been a flawless experience. And I'm impressed by how fluid everything is, which of course, is a positive of the iPhone as well. The funny thing is that WP8 on my old Lumia 920 was a smoother, more stable experience, from the first day to the day I replaced it. So my 950 is being compared against that as well. Despite more powerful hardware it just doesn't measure up. Windows 10 feels like it's been outsourced, so I can't imagine how bad it was initially that all these problems still got through.

I think the best way to put it is that Microsoft has eroded my confidence in the platform. I went from thinking the OS just needed better marketing to now feeling like it's fallen pretty far behind the competition. They might turn things around eventually, but it feels like Microsoft just can't make good, consistent strides in a positive direction. There are simply too many missteps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes