Incomplete Group Texts - AT&T Lumia 950

Mike Bolz

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to find any other mention of this problem...

I got my Lumia 950 on December 7th. On December 8th, I got a text reply within a group that only showed the first letter of the message. Every subsequent message from that same number was exactly the same, only showing the first letter. I didn't happen when the other two numbers within the group would respond. I had the person with the offending number text me directly, outside of the group, and it worked perfectly fine. I didn't consider it a big problem at the time, since I didn't text with that person often. Note: the incomplete texts came from a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini on AT&T.

About a month later, it happened again, this time with a different person/number. This time it was the person that I text/texts me probably most frequently. This started a day or two after he switched from an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to a Galaxy S6. Now it has happened, and continues to happen, within several group text threads with this one number.

Last week I entered my phone in to the Windows Insider program and downloaded the newest available build. I was hoping that maybe a new OS build would fix the problem. That didn't make any difference.

I contacted AT&T yesterday about the issue. They re-provisioned the sim and checked all of their side of things and could not come up with a solution. In the end, we decided that I would do a full reset on my device to see if it would fix the issue. I did that and the problem remains (I did not restore to a previous backup, as I did when I first got the phone). I was supposed to get a callback from AT&T this morning, but they never called. At this point, I feel like all they would be able to do is give me a new device.

I'm hoping someone else will have had this issue and can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

wp_ss_20160109_0001.jpg wp_ss_20160115_0002.jpg

jeff adams3

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same issue, and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. Very random. I have been documenting it in the feedback tool.

Mike Bolz

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I may be able to answer my own question. After posting here, I dug a little deeper into my Network Settings and turned off Enhanced 4G LTE Services. It's been off for a couple days straight now, and I haven't had an incomplete message yet. I'm hoping it turns out to really fix it.

Mike Bolz

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Never found anything definitive, but it appears to be an issue with the Galazy S5 and S6 and AT&T. My friend found a post on a forum that said they had spoken with AT&T about it, that AT&T knows about it and is working on a fix, and for now the Samsung users can turn off Enhanced 4G LTE services (Network Connections>More Networks>Mobile Networks>Mobile Data). My friend turned his off Sunday night and it hasn't been a problem since.

A further note on the issue: It is not limited to the Lumia 950 or Windows 10, as I had originally surmised. It has been confirmed to affect a Lumia 635 with Windows Phone 8.1, and other android phones (the android phones don't get the group message at all).

Further update: The same friend just informed me that he is now missing texts from some numbers (individuals only, not group messages). Their second message comes through fine, but even if they try re-sending the first it doesn't come through. We're assuming this is all related. He still has the Enhanced 4G LTE services off.

Last edited:

Price83

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the Microsoft 950 also and just started having this issue. So far this has only happened when 1 particular person in a group message sends a text. Every other member of the group text can see the whole message but I only get the first letter. This person does use a Galaxy S6 Active so today when I see them I'm going to change their 4G settings as mentioned earlier and see if that works. Has anyone heard any more news to this being fixed?

Also, not sure if this is related but I sent the same person and individual MMS and she received it 13 hours later. This could just be AT&T's not so great network too.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this is the same problem, but back when I had an iPhone and group texts would not work I was instructed by AT&T to delete the whole thread which was on my phone, and that usually got the group texts to work again.

Mike Bolz

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
My friend that was having the problem found out that it was not limited to windows phones. There were others not getting his texts at all, and some that he wasn't receiving. He finally switched his messaging app and started using Google Messenger. He has had no problems since that switch.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have an AT&T 950 with the same problem. I had the preview build for fast ring and recently restored to a production ring but the problem persists. I have been having this issue for about 2 weeks. I receive only the first letter of the text message from a person in my group text that has a Samsung but a picture will come through just fine, everyone else can read the message fine.

Last edited:

RFTA

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I have the same issue. Her mom has a galaxy note 7 and if she tries to send us a group text we only get the first letter. Other people in the group get the messages just fine. I'll have her disable the Enhanced 4G LTE feature and see if that makes a difference.

ktilley13

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a Note 5; my wife has a Lumia 92?. She has the same problem. I will try adjusting my network settings to see if that works.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
AT&T actually called my wife back and informed her that it was a problem that would need to be addressed on the Samsung owners account. Im not sure if that's true but I certainly cant ask all Samsung owners to call AT&T when they don't even realize they have a problem.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Mike Bolz
Nevermind, that was not a permanent fix.

I'm having the same issue, but with different factors.

I'm using an Unlocked Lumia 950 DS. And my friend's device is an AT&T LG G5. So this is the first case in this thread without a Samsung device in the mix.

This problem may not be exclusive to the Lumia 950, but I don't see it reported as frequently with other devices. Anyone have any fixes?

Last edited:

Lanlibo

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I have recently experienced the same problem. I am on AT&T. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. On group texting I only receive the first letter of her texts. I do not receive any pictures from her phone in the group text thread. My friends in the same group text have an iphone or an LG and I get their texts just fine.

I visited the AT&T store where the response I received was "Wow. That's weird." and very little help. I called AT&T and described the issue and they said it's the first they've heard of it. I was supposed to receive a call but never have. I tried the hard reset, no luck. I turned off Enhanced 4g LTE services, no luck. I turned it off on my wife's phone, no luck. Nothing works.

It appears to be an issue on the Samsung side of things with AT&T. But why is not other brand of phone having the same issue?

Any fix? Anybody? HELP!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720