Is it possible to setup a RS232 connection over the USB-C connection on a Lumina 950?
    01-21-2016 04:49 AM
    Is it possible to setup a RS232 connection over the USB-C connection on a Lumina 950?
    I found this app which is not on the Windows Store so entirely up to you if you wish to see if it works for you. There appears to be other apps as well along the same lines. Not sure if any of them support USB C and I haven't seen a RS232 to USB C converter anywhere. That would mean using a RS232 to USB and then a USB to USB C converter. Sounds like fun.

App Serial Communication RS232 APK for Windows Phone | Download Android APK GAMES & APPS for Windows phone

I take it you're doing some sort of project that requires RS 232. I often wonder why such a old protocol sticks around...
    Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    01-21-2016 06:31 AM
    I'm a service technician for a brand of CNC machinery that uses FANUC CONTROLLERS. One of the most common methods of communication is using a RS232 connection. Over the years I've used paper tape reader/punch, Psion Organiser, PC, laptops. A mobile phone would be a far better option for me as its something I could carry in my pocket.
    05-28-2016 05:37 AM
    I would doubt there were drivers to allow the USB-232 converters to run on a

A small tablet running full fat W10 would be one option, or possibly Bluetooth? Network Serial Devices - Bluetooth - Brainboxes - Industrial Ethernet IO and Serial
    05-28-2016 06:00 AM
    First time I have seen or heard this term in many many years. If you find a way yo make it work, more power to you.
    05-28-2016 08:25 AM
    figured I'd try, since I am at work, have a usb to serial adapter AND a usb c to usb adapter...

unfortunately, i don't have a device to plug it into to test, but the phone says that "the usb device might not work, try it on a pc instead" once it's plugged in. we normally use serial connections for programming network switches.
    05-28-2016 01:33 PM
    I take it you're doing some sort of project that requires RS 232. I often wonder why such a old protocol sticks around...
    Sadly still very common in networking. Most managed switches (Cisco, HP Procurve etc) require a serial console connection for first setup and even once they are in there's much more you can do from the CLI rather than the GUI. Same also for some SANs, and it's also widely used in chemistry for controlling chemstations.

Anyway, leaving that aside, I'd very much doubt there would be enough demand for this to justify it. USB Ethernet adapters have only just been added to one of the preview builds.
    05-30-2016 04:24 AM
    CLIs are not only accessible through serial, they can easily be used through ethernet. I know there are Ethernet to usb adapters, don't know if it will work
    05-30-2016 09:23 AM
    CLIs are not only accessible through serial, they can easily be used through ethernet. I know there are Ethernet to usb adapters, don't know if it will work
    true for most.... until someone manages to screw it all up. in which case, serial is your only option (had a "damaged" procurve switch that was only accessible via the serial port, which allowed me to fix it after pushing the latest firmware that way)
    05-30-2016 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD