Why is W10M Cortana so bad?

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I was playing with the Cortana voice control with my UK L950 last night to try a few searches and basic tasks, such as news items, travel routes.

With the L920 and WP8.1 it/she would link to maps and detailed search results, but on the L950 it either doesn't show anything, or just open the basic Bing search webwrapper (what happened to the excellent search presentation WP8.1!). It even gave me nonsense results for the weather forecast that where different from the MS weather app!

Does anyone actually find Cortana useful anymore on W10M, or is this a regional issue that only affects counties outside the US? I don?t want to grumble about the L950 because I really do like it, but I don?t understand when back-end software services like this get worse for no obvious reason, when they were previously pretty good.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's a US issue too. I'm back on 8.1 now after having used W10M for awhile and I'm reluctant to go back to 10 with Cortana being one of the primary reasons. She's so much better on 8.1.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a US issue too. I'm back on 8.1 now after having used W10M for awhile and I'm reluctant to go back to 10 with Cortana being one of the primary reasons. She's so much better on 8.1.

I was really hoping you would say the US Cortana is great, and just like it was in WP8.1, so we could look forward to it getting better in the ‘rest of the world ™’. Never mind – I’ve used MS phones and PDAs for 15-years, so I should be used to it by now!

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just about hate Cortana on 10 in comparison to 8.1... Results are bad, maps suck, you cannot save images anymore,just favorite them...which sucks, I make a call ans Cortana pops up and will not go away while the call is on, Cortana ans driving mode sucks...

Cortana had gone rouge in 10 and is just in my way. I cannot turn her off... I am currently looking at a cheap android phone to buy until windows 10 is better... I cannot believe this, but I am so fed up. She got in my way so bad, my map directions, try to go to bass pro shops on san Jose... If it was not for my cheap android phone, I would have been lost.

I am tired of being punished foe being a fan. I love windows phone... I know, 8.1 Was so stable, why did I go to 10... I went to 10 cause I was getting tired of 8.1. Microsoft edge, emails, file system among other thins are the best thin about 10. Getting edge was worth it alone for a great browsing experience. I have a cheap moto e, it am so impressed with android, I was ready to move to it... So I had to do some to stay with windows... Well, Cortana on 10 is running me to android.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just about hate Cortana on 10 in comparison to 8.1... Results are bad, maps suck, you cannot save images anymore,just favorite them...which sucks, I make a call ans Cortana pops up and will not go away while the call is on, Cortana ans driving mode sucks...

You can save photos, you just have to open them in Edge first. It's awful, I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to replace the WP8.1 version with a crap web wrapper.

Only that initial info screen before you've actually search is usable but even that feels like a cheap copy of Google's cards. It also irks me how the calendar info on that screen looks nothing like the Calendar app.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yip, I pretty much agree with all the folk who have responded to this thread....Cortana on W10M has about the same level of artificial intelligence as a dog turd. It's a feature that has really gone massively backward since Windows Phone 8.1.

I've started a couple of threads myself on this subject. It totally sucks that Microsoft have pushed out W10M with such a backward AI.

It's not even just the fact that all it does is return basic search results, but trying to get "hey Cortana" to work on my 950 is a total nightmare.

On my Lumia 1520 running 8.1 Cortana was really beginning to show some genuine brilliance. It was fast, responsive, it would track flights, train times, packages, it would respond every single time I said hey Cortana and it perfectly dictated reminders, texts and short emails without an issue.

I was soooo looking forward to Cortana in W10M...I truly thought it was going to be a big step up in an already excellent artificial intelligence platform.....but actually it sux

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I was playing with the Cortana voice control with my UK L950 last night to try a few searches and basic tasks, such as news items, travel routes.

With the L920 and WP8.1 it/she would link to maps and detailed search results, but on the L950 it either doesn't show anything, or just open the basic Bing search webwrapper (what happened to the excellent search presentation WP8.1!). It even gave me nonsense results for the weather forecast that where different from the MS weather app!

Does anyone actually find Cortana useful anymore on W10M, or is this a regional issue that only affects counties outside the US? I don?t want to grumble about the L950 because I really do like it, but I don?t understand when back-end software services like this get worse for no obvious reason, when they were previously pretty good.

Well, MS seems to like ditching working stuff for beta buggy stuff.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Yip, I pretty much agree with all the folk who have responded to this thread....Cortana on W10M has about the same level of artificial intelligence as a dog turd. It's a feature that has really gone massively backward since Windows Phone 8.1.

I've started a couple of threads myself on this subject. It totally sucks that Microsoft have pushed out W10M with such a backward AI.

It's not even just the fact that all it does is return basic search results, but trying to get "hey Cortana" to work on my 950 is a total nightmare.

On my Lumia 1520 running 8.1 Cortana was really beginning to show some genuine brilliance. It was fast, responsive, it would track flights, train times, packages, it would respond every single time I said hey Cortana and it perfectly dictated reminders, texts and short emails without an issue.

I was soooo looking forward to Cortana in W10M...I truly thought it was going to be a big step up in an already excellent artificial intelligence platform.....but actually it sux

Because Windows 10 on mobile is a total mess and failure! Many many things got either removed or got broken. WP 8.1 was a very good OS, stable and with nice features. MS messed up with windows 10 mobile, and personally, I would NOT recommend windows 10 to any WP user! never! in the state it is now, it would do more harm than good! Users need a stable OS to revert to, not a never ending beta insider preview alpha...or whatever anyone wants to call it! WP 8.1 was so damn fast and fluid, emails were being rendered correctly, battery life was ok, Cortana was awesome/best AI ever. What happened with W10?? everything got ruined, messed up,broken.
I wonder how can the board of MS allow the CEO to do such an awful job? how can they allow their company to release such bad products? Everyone complained about Ballmer...well look now at Nadella how he does the job...he is practically destroying parts of MS and the worst thing is that users,customers,fans are being treated like nothing.If in his country employees and customers are not respected, in other parts of the world they are.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone actually find Cortana useful anymore on W10M, or is this a regional issue that only affects counties outside the US? I don’t want to grumble about the L950 because I really do like it, but I don’t understand when back-end software services like this get worse for no obvious reason, when they were previously pretty good.

I sometimes use her for forecast, start navigation, reminders, music recognition...it performs all these tasks very well, I'm in Italy.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
It's unconscionable how much of a step backwards Cortana is in W10M compared to WP8.1. I agree with much of what's been said in this thread; Cortana's results are lacking, searches are returned in a mobile-unfriendly way and the fact that you have to view images in Edge is just idiotic. Its (her?) poor performance is just another slap in the face to loyal Windows users. :unhappy:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's unconscionable how much of a step backwards Cortana is in W10M compared to WP8.1. I agree with much of what's been said in this thread; Cortana's results are lacking, searches are returned in a mobile-unfriendly way and the fact that you have to view images in Edge is just idiotic. Its (her?) poor performance is just another slap in the face to loyal Windows users. :unhappy:

And the biggest slap in the face is yet to come....I absolutely guarantee that Cortana on Android and iOS will be 100% better than on a W10M device. Honestly, I get the feeling that Microsoft management are actually trying to push W10M users toward other platforms.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
using it on an iphone. it's fast, blazing fast and seems way better than on w10

I'm not surprised. Every app and feature that MS have built for rival platforms is way better than the stuff they do for W10M. It's all part of the frustration of being a Windows Phone loyalist I guess

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
THE SOLUTION :

Cortana on Windows 10 Mobile( on my ATT 950) Works best if you DO NOT Train it to recognize your voice.:eck:
( Serious I'm NOT being Sarcastic or a Smart#zz)

Fortunately . I surround myself with Mature people who don't take advantage of this ( besides I don't share this info They don't know , and my phone is always with me)

Just try it. Turn her on without the Voice Recognition training step , Its been working perfect every since.!!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
THE SOLUTION :

Cortana on Windows 10 Mobile( on my ATT 950) Works best if you DO NOT Train it to recognize your voice.:eck:
( Serious I'm NOT being Sarcastic or a Smart#zz)

Fortunately . I surround myself with Mature people who don't take advantage of this ( besides I don't share this info They don't know , and my phone is always with me)

Just try it. Turn her on without the Voice Recognition training step , Its been working perfect every since.!!

Hmm, weird. Normally, training her should bring improvements. Well, it's Ms we talk about, they seem to like doing things backwards.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an att 950 also . My problem is not her speech recognition. Heck that part is amazing. It is what she does after that . On my 1520 she would open the maps app and everything. Now most things open up a search.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an att 950 also . My problem is not her speech recognition. Heck that part is amazing. It is what she does after that . On my 1520 she would open the maps app and everything. Now most things open up a search.

I agree. It technically works fine on my L950, but the results are utter garbage, and way worse than on my old L920 with WP8.1.

Good to see that MS are beta testing a beta service for their clients on iOS and Android - I wouldn't want to think they would trial unfinished software on their own hardware...oh, hang on...

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It technically works fine on my L950, but the results are utter garbage, and way worse than on my old L920 with WP8.1.

Good to see that MS are beta testing a beta service for their clients on iOS and Android - I wouldn't want to think they would trial unfinished software on their own hardware...oh, hang on...

Almost everything in win10 mobile is unfinished and garbage. they took a perfect stable 8.1 OS and rebooted it into a wreck. And the most ugly thing is that they are selling three phones to the public with this buggy beta OS while nowhere is specified that it is a beta OS, all thre phones do not contain in their spec sheet any info that the OS on them is beta. nice try for MS...not everyone is aware of the insider program. I have lived to see the day when MS would sell an unfinished product to the masses while pretending it's stable and ready to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720