I Hope I Haven't Made a Mistake

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
In late 2014 I became frustrated with the lack of new WP hardware and jumped ship back to iOS and Android. I spent most of 2015 with a Note 4 and IPhone 6+. When the Note 5 became available I ditched the N4 and 6+ and went all in with the N5. Well I recently got a little bored with the Note and decided to try a HTC M8 WP since it is the only higher end WP I haven't owned. I've had it a few weeks and it has reminded me why I prefer WP over the other two. So, now I've ordered a 950 and I'm contemplating jumping back to WP or W10M or whatever we're calling it these days. I still like the N5 and will probably keep it a while just in case but when the 950 arrives I'm all in, again.

Elfonzerio

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I like mine quite a bit and I have owned it since launch. They seem to be hard at it to make it better and better. I had an iPhone 6 and while it was a good phone, I didn't like the apple ecosystem. So I'd say as long as your expectations are realistic you should like it just fine.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Another satisfied 950 user here. Got mine 2 months ago. Best Lumia I have owned yet. Hope your experience will be stellar.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the removable back is great. You can always have a spare battery on hand,if need be. Something you can't do on iOS or many android OEM's

Elfonzerio

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I like the removable back, and my buttons feel tight. I prefer the plastic back, you can get by without a case with this phone, although your screen will remain unprotected. The aluminum is so soft and thin on new phones that a fairly minor drop or abrasive rub will trash them quick.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I think I will love the phone but you know how it is when you drop some cash on a new toy. And of course, I like my Note 5 more now than ever before. That screen!

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I like the removable back, and my buttons feel tight. I prefer the plastic back, you can get by without a case with this phone, although your screen will remain unprotected. The aluminum is so soft and thin on new phones that a fairly minor drop or abrasive rub will trash them quick.

I plan on using the factory back, at least for a while, and if it's not a smudge magnet I'll go caseless (commando)☺

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
what is so bad about a removable back. Now with the new cell plans where you no longer have 2 year contracts...once you own the phone run it as long as you can. Assuming the processor will be fast enough a couple years out you can get a new battery and keep on going. Do you buy a new $700 laptop every 2 years? Plus the SD card slot is awesome. I have a 64gb chip in it. Downloaded tons of music to it while on wifi.

MS- just make it so I donlt have to say---and when your phone does not reboot you can always just pull the battery :)

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could say I love this phone - bought it when it was released only to return it back in a week - mainly because of little things like all mails view, keyboard lag etc. Since then these issues have been fixed. So went and bought it again - i really want to like this phone. But for the past few days i've been struggling with OS issues again. I use the browser a lot for listening to online radios, lots of browsing. Edge is slow and lags in many of the websites I usually visit. It really gets warm and some of the most common radio stations don't even play (BBC for example - you cannot play online radio). There is no alternative to edge browser either (none of the ones in the store work)
Dropbox app is not compatbile with 950 according to the store when you try to install it. And there is no real file manager app with cloud integration like dropbox, gdrive, one drive etc - tried metro file explorer and other from the store. They're pretty bad. Outlook is pretty decent

So sadly, it looks like i've to return this again - still love the tiles and the display of the phone - only if they could get the OS better!!

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
By the title it looks like your are preparing yourself to start complaining as soon as the phone arrives, not a great state of mind to start using a fantastic but still a bit bugged and unstable phone.

I'm loving my 950 + red/gold Mozo back BUT I'm hating the stability issues and the fact that even MS stopped developing good apps for its own platform.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the psychoanalysis. I hope you're not going to charge me for that. I'm not preparing to complain, just concerned that coming back to Microsoft may be a mistake. It takes a loyal and patient customer to put up with Microsoft's mobile experience.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the psychoanalysis. I hope you're not going to charge me for that. I'm not preparing to complain, just concerned that coming back to Microsoft may be a mistake. It takes a loyal and patient customer to put up with Microsoft's mobile experience.

I'm not charge you since it's not working :)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I like my 950, but wish ATT would hurry up and release the firmware update. There are a few little bugs and I'm hoping the firmware fixed them...

On a side note, I disabled "rich capture" in the camera app... With it enabled, there is a horrible lag in the time from taking a picture, to being able to edit it or send it.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Bought the 950 from MS store a week ago and set it all up..beautiful screen and I absolutely love the UI. But windows 10 still has some issues - main issue is Microsoft edge browser its not as refined as chrome or firefox. Consuming media is not ideal on edge as it gets quite slow.
No Dropbox app on this phone. - it says device incompatible. Which is a big issue for me.
So while I can still in the return period I thought I'll give HTC M9 a try . Bought a brand new one yesterday for a good price.

Man that phone is so ugly compared to Lumia - may be it's the android or the gun metal grey color. I couldn't stand it even while I was setting it up. So after set it up and played with it for a few hours, I've decided to sell it.

It's mainly because I love the windows UI, its so refreshing from the boring iOS and Android - so going to stick with 950 even though it has software issues which I hope Microsoft will fix it soon.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Bought the 950 from MS store a week ago and set it all up..beautiful screen and I absolutely love the UI. But windows 10 still has some issues - main issue is Microsoft edge browser its not as refined as chrome or firefox. Consuming media is not ideal on edge as it gets quite slow.
No Dropbox app on this phone. - it says device incompatible. Which is a big issue for me.
So while I can still in the return period I thought I'll give HTC M9 a try . Bought a brand new one yesterday for a good price.

Man that phone is so ugly compared to Lumia - may be it's the android or the gun metal grey color. I couldn't stand it even while I was setting it up. So after set it up and played with it for a few hours, I've decided to sell it.

It's mainly because I love the windows UI, its so refreshing from the boring iOS and Android - so going to stick with 950 even though it has software issues which I hope Microsoft will fix it soon.
You've picked the worst color combination for the M9. Best looking is silver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs