Official FM Radio app on Lumia 950 via restoring from a backup with pinned FM Radio tile

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks jbindel. It confirms you have a US variant. For EU variants, the radio seems locked at firmware (or OS) level, and third party apps won't even work (when it will work out of the box on US variants).

So I won't try the long process you described on my French 950 Dual SIM, I'm pretty sure it won't work :(

If only TuneIn released their W10M app officially (I can download it on my 640 and 535 running W10M, but it's a store glitch, Tunein have never announced their mobile UWP and their Twitter support keeps on saying that it's coming soon, waiting for official release of W10M as other publishers I assume, to avoid bad reviews on store because of the OS and not the app...)

My way should work. I have EU dual sim version to. FM Radio "feature" is locked in registry. I've removed this lock and any third-party app works.

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
[GUIDE] Official FM Radio app - an easy way

How to return FM Radio app an easy way:
*if you have unlocked fm radio "functionality" - jump to the steps below the sreenshot
1. Install software for PC if don't have:
2. Next, we have to do some things with phone:
  • Go to the Settings --> Update & Security --> For developers --> Enable the "Developer mode"
  • Download "RootTool.xap"
  • Deploy it with "Windows Phone Application Deployment". If you can't deploy it with standard utility, try this
  • Run the app on the phone --> Jailbreak Lumia --> Capability Unlock --> Unlock Windows Capabilities
  • Go back to main menu of the app and click on choose Registry Tool for all devices
  • Enter the same values as shown on the screenshot. Then tap "Write".
    wp_ss_20160127_0001.jpg
  • Reboot the phone
  • Install third-party FM Radio app
  • Plug in headphones, run the Radio app, select manual tune, find some station and play it. Then, press the volume button and click on freq number.
  • Now, you should be seeing an original FM Radio app. Just pin the station on Start Screen.
  • Profit$$$

P.S. This guide is 100% working for EU variant of Lumia 950 (single or dual sim). It's also known, that US versions don't require registry editing - the FM Radio module is not turned off.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
valuxin said:
My way should work. I have EU dual sim version to. FM Radio "feature" is locked in registry. I've removed this lock and any third-party app works.

Which means it's locked at *OS* level and not firmware, that's interesting.

Lojik Supreme

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Dude, thanks for posting this trick. I've always kept FM Radio pinned to my start screen. Picked up my 950 a week ago and restored from my 640 dev phone backup not even realizing this was an issue! Great Save! Thanks again!

nig_nffc

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Anyone had any joy with this in uk?
I can't try at moment only have a tablet currently.

Will give it a go at work next week.

I assume you need to plug phone in via USB to pc.

J H4

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
This doesn't work with .63 or .71.

UK SIM Free version Lumia 950

I can try to write 0 to the registry but it always reads back as 1. Seems MS have blocked/locked access...

MindtakerWP

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

I can try to write 0 to the registry but it always reads back as 1. Seems MS have blocked/locked access...

This work on my Lumia 950 USA DS with .71

vvmxpLQ.jpg

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You mean third party apps didn't work before the hack? Strange, only US variants are allowed to use third party FM tuner apps without hacks. Maybe not all variants then.

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Are you sure you tried to change the value not with Lumia registry editor? Root Tool have 3 registry editors: First one for all Windows phones, second one for Nokia Lumia, third one for Samsung. To perform the hack you should use first registry tool, but not the Lumia Tool.

MindtakerWP

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
You mean third party apps didn't work before the hack? Strange, only US variants are allowed to use third party FM tuner apps without hacks. Maybe not all variants then.

Yes. I have the Dual SIM version Unlocked USA (Made in Vietnam).

EDIT: Check..

Q5VLbAA.jpg

EDIT 2: I've the Worldwide version.

Last edited:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
"Worldwide" version is not a version, it would have been interesting to share yours to understand which variants need the hack and which don't

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99