Try fixing your USB device - Lumia 950

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. I have started receiving pop up messaged on my Lumia 950 device that states" Try fixing your USB device. And "Your USB device ran into a problem. Also the phone will not charge via the USB port unless I shut down the device and plug the USB in while the phone is powered off. It will then turn on as normal when I plug it in. I haven't done much troubleshooting on it yet and couldn?t find much when searching for it. If I click on the error it takes me to an out dated windows XP troubleshooting page.

I think I am going to try and restore the phone tonight after work to see if that may help. I've had to reset my phone so many times its becoming routine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

wp_ss_20160129_0001.jpg

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually nothing. I charge with my Qi charger and only sometimes used the rapid charger that came with it but I haven't used that in over week before this started. And of course I checked for debris in the port and it hasn't rained or anything where moisture could get in there.

What puzzles me is that when the phone of off it recognizes the charged being plugged in right away and powers on as it should. I am wondering if this is a software issue of some sort. I wont be able to factory restore it again until after I get home from work.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'd say go 1 step further and use WDRT to nab a totally clean rom, and on 1st startup, do a hard reset (do not enter your ms account info at all). after that, setup the phone like you normally would do.

Moriarti81

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I experience similar Problem since beggining of this week.
Charging only starts during restart (original USB-C quick charger).
Wireless charging Show indicaion of charging but actually it Looks like only draining the battery.

I have issue with USB Connection to PC as well, the PC is not recognizing the Connection at all.
After phone restart the charging at least starts.

I was wondering if this can be some Kind of Problem in the last Firmware update.
im not sure when it was installed actually.
If Im not mistaken this was rolled out beginning of the month. 01078.00027.15506.02019

I woud appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm it does the same thing happens when using the data connection. If I power the phone off then plug the cable in the phone comes on and the data connection works fine between the PC and phone. If I disconnect and reconnect then it does the same thing where its not recognized and the PC there is a problem with your USB device. I am going to perform a full restore tonight and see what happens.

Edit: Ugh I never got the chance to do this because I left my data cable at work. But I'm doing it right now. For real this time! lol Its running as I type this,

Last edited:

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well after doing a hard reset on the phone and putting a fresh rom on there with the tool none of my symptoms have been resolved. Tomorrow I am calling AT&T to see if I can convince them to take this piece of crap phone back and give me an android. I AM DONE WITH WINDOWS PHONE

Moriarti81

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
I just got a new update on the phone and after the Installation my Problem is gone.
Im not completely sure about that this is actually the solution as I experienced the following.

After the update when I connected the charger the phone started to Charge normally.
I was happy so I did not check further, but later I tried again and the original Problem occured, also the PC connectivity was gone.

After this I restarted the phone again and also removed the back of the phone and connected the charger without it.

At this Point the Problem is gone.
without cover it was starting to Charge and connected to pc properly.

After this I put back the cover and noo Problem still so Im not sure now if it was Software or maybe some mechanical Thing on the cover.
Maybe I put it back inproperly and thats caosed this strange behavior. Or simply the new Software needed another restart to kick in.

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well here is an update if anyone is interested. After working with Microsoft and AT&T for several hours the device was deemed defective and has been replaced. My new Lumia 950 is working so much better than the last one. It charges as it should, the random reboots are gone, and my apps don’t crash as often. (but sometimes do) In fact I have been using it about a week not and it has not restarted once on me.

I do still plan on getting away from the platform as soon as I am able. Only because I am still not enjoying the app gap. That could change though because the new Instagram port from iPhone works great so far and if they were able to start bringing other apps over it could close the gap.

Im stuck with the phone a few years until I can get an upgrade. I really hope Microsoft gets it together and really turns things around. I do still love it and have been using it for a very long time. I just want to be up to date with other apps that are popular with my friends and family.

Daniel Wojcik

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I've been getting this error multiple times over the day. With NO "USB device" plugged in. :eck:

I'm not sure if it is caused by the "Anniversary" update, or the firmware update.

I'd guess firmware, but...

Can it be rolled back? (I'm not an Insider or anything like that.)

Johan Ruda

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I've been getting this error multiple times over the day. With NO "USB device" plugged in. :eck:

I'm not sure if it is caused by the "Anniversary" update, or the firmware update.

I'd guess firmware, but...

Can it be rolled back? (I'm not an Insider or anything like that.)

Check the USB port for dust and other crap. Something might be stuck there triggering the error message.

Daniel Wojcik

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, blowing the dust out of the port seems to have cut down on the errors, but they're still popping up from time to time. Maybe get some contact cleaner or whatever.

If that doesn't do it, I'll go the WDRT route, I guess. Much as I hate to do that.

Johan Ruda

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, blowing the dust out of the port seems to have cut down on the errors, but they're still popping up from time to time. Maybe get some contact cleaner or whatever.

If that doesn't do it, I'll go the WDRT route, I guess. Much as I hate to do that.

Try to carefully poke around a little with a wooden toothpick or something. Carefully though!

Daniel Wojcik

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Finally got everything to download and install.

Phone worked for 10 hours, an then the "Try fixing your USB device" error came back.

This NEVER happened before the "Anniversary" update.

Microsoft say to go to AT&T. Yeah, right. I bought the phone directly from Microsoft...AT&T won't be able (or willing, anyway) to do anything other than tell me to do everything I already did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro