8.1 to W10 migration question

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I was having a problem with my power/lock button on my 830 and found a 950 with docking block on Craigslist for $350 so I decided to upgrade.

With previous phone upgrades on 8.1, I have just logged into the new phone and an option appeared to restore from backup. All installed apps get reinstalled. With the move from 8.1 to W10 Mobile, I got my contacts but I didn't get the restore option and have even had to repurchase a few apps. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I understand that the apps for W10 mobile are different so it sort of makes sense, but not sure why MS couldn't map the 8.1 apps to the W10 apps and provide the same functionality and track whether I already own the app or not.

I really like the 950 so far and have not found W10 mobile to be buggy at all. The only minor complaint is when I save a Web shortcut to the Start screen, I get a plain blue tile for it with some text, but 8.1 gave a screen shot of the web page which was nice. Battery life is not as good as my 830 but I'm still fine tuning the settings.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When i migrated my 930 from 8.1 to 10, it was a bit of a pain, loads of stuff didn't work naturally.

When i then moved to the 950, i deliberately didn't migrate. A bit of pain up front, but worth it in the end.

I don't recall having to pay for a single replacement app. Do you have an example app you had to repurchase?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I moved from an 830 to a 950 AND did a restore. Incompatible apps didn't work, which was expected. initial time to import all txt messages was 4 days.

I then did a hard reset and restore again after some cleanup, deleted the backup on onedrive and forced the 950 to backup again.
the result was a 950 that pretty much worked with the minor issue here and there, just like most other 950s right now.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I had to buy MyRadar(ad free) again even though I owned it on my 830.

I didn't see any options to restore from backup when I setup my MS Account info, but I didn't do a reset, maybe that's why. The previous owner said he had already reset it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I had to buy MyRadar(ad free) again even though I owned it on my 830.

I didn't see any options to restore from backup when I setup my MS Account info, but I didn't do a reset, maybe that's why. The previous owner said he had already reset it.

so you used your phone straight from the box? no setup? if so, you were using that other person's account.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not using the previous owner's MS account, I entered my own account, that's why my contacts downloaded. The phone was usable when I got it, but had no photos, music or downloaded apps. The seller said he reset it, so I didn't try to reset it again, and didn't see any options to restore from backup, but I guess that pops up when you reset the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes