.71 Build on Lumia 950 Still Bad, hows your experience?

Brandon Sobotta

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
"can anyone advise why the hard reset. im by no means techinical but i dont understand the logic behind why it gets done. Im on .71 and did a hard reset and i dont want to ever go through it again, i havent noticed any difference with the battery drain etc. resetting the home page etc too much hassle. But i restored from a back up so im thinking whatever was wrong before ive just restored to my phone."

Yes, a restore will often times drag with it the problems you had before.

Brandon Sobotta

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I have an ATT 950 since day 1. I was on .71 and didn't know it until I opened a case with Microsoft. I used the Microsoft recovery tool to reflash the phone. I'm now on .29. I check every few hours, and still no updates. My phone was terrible until I reflashed it. The .71 update that was pushed ruined the phone. I couldn't get more than 8 hours out of the phone. I turned every battery draining feature off, and it barely hit 8 hours. The phone would randomly crash, pressing the lock button would open up to a black screen that required battery pulls, just to name a few. I debated going back to my 1020. I don't want to reset or wipe the phone again to get an update. When I used the tool, it showed the .29 update being the latest on the server. I'm not sure what Microsoft and ATT are doing but after reading many forums posts, others are tired of this as well.

For some reason I think it is the process they are using, not that actual builds that are causing a problem.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I have an ATT 950 since day 1. I was on .71 and didn't know it until I opened a case with Microsoft. I used the Microsoft recovery tool to reflash the phone. I'm now on .29. I check every few hours, and still no updates. My phone was terrible until I reflashed it. The .71 update that was pushed ruined the phone. I couldn't get more than 8 hours out of the phone. I turned every battery draining feature off, and it barely hit 8 hours. The phone would randomly crash, pressing the lock button would open up to a black screen that required battery pulls, just to name a few. I debated going back to my 1020. I don't want to reset or wipe the phone again to get an update. When I used the tool, it showed the .29 update being the latest on the server. I'm not sure what Microsoft and ATT are doing but after reading many forums posts, others are tired of this as well.

Interesting. I used .29 for the first few days on my 950 and didn't care for it. Mainly it was the overheating that I didn't like. .71 has been much better on my phone. Yesterday I was off the charger for 14 hours and was still at 57% when I plugged it in.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I used .29 for the first few days on my 950 and didn't care for it. Mainly it was the overheating that I didn't like. .71 has been much better on my phone. Yesterday I was off the charger for 14 hours and was still at 57% when I plugged it in.

Depends on what settings you have on your phone

Julius Damato

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site

That's interesting as well. The .29 is perfect on my phone. I haven't charged my phone since reflashing mid Monday and I'm at 25%. I consider myself a moderate user (word docs, work email, light gaming, skype calls).

I did figure out how I got the .71 update. I have a Lumia 635 that I used for work only previously. It seems I signed up for the insider program online with my personal email and my bs account for the 635. As soon as my phone was able to download the windows insider app (was getting app unavailable errors), I now have an update pending that I can't get out of. Looks like I'll have to reflash for the second time.

abulafia53

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the .71 build on a Lumia Icon (Verizon). I have no problems or issues, other than a minor formatting issue in Outlook Calendar where the little dots have disappeared that used to let you know if something was scheduled on a given day (probably a design issue and not a true bug). But then, I do not use very many apps nor do I use Cortana very much at all. However, I have not had any issues with screens freezing or random reboots, as others have reported.

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
MS should stop trying to make windows experience on phone parallel to that of desktop. Keep testing, trying, and failing forever, man you guys abuse the fan's generosity too much.

Please stop here, make the phone work. Finalize the product first, then continue the mobile insider program.

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Soooooo many random reboots with my 950 XL on 10586.71.

Some several times an hour. Its getting silly. It will be the last insider build I do for this phone, it was arguably a risk doing it in the first place, but things weren't great on .29 either.

I seriously hope the recent firmware update resolve the stability issues, or I'll have to consider returning it as a hardware issue.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Use the Windows Phone recovery to reset your phone and then enroll in the fast ring and update. My AT&T 950 was stuck as well until I used the recovery tool to go back, currently on .71 with firmware 29031.

I think 71 is OK, still get some random crashes in messaging and stuck on the loading screen but not often. Overall, I am unhappy with W10 on a L950.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Just came back to say when I first got .71 I had a lot of issues and random reboots. Backed up everything and started back with a hard reset. Took longer to add my emails and install apps than it did to reset the phone. No major issues now. I was very convinced into wanting to roll back to 8.1 (if that's even possible on the 950) because it was so rough. Hard reset seems to have fixed 95% of the issues I had.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have .71 with none of the battery, boot, or searching issues described here. I have the unlocked version, not the att version though.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't know about any of those issues any of you guys are experiencing as I'm using an unlocked refurbished at&t L920 on 10586.107 and I've never had any of those issues. What I do experience is whenever the phone has to restart for any reason e.g. build installs or manual restart it loses assigned ringtones to 1/2 apps and that's it. I've noticed a considerable battery non-drainage since the w10m build from .29 - 107 and with that I'm pleasantly surprised for that given the old hardware in use. What I want is another build or two before the definitive release to the general public and I'm good to go. When that happens I believe that it will be a very stable and very accepted OS and after that what we'll be getting will be the "features" that we look for with each new build we get.

Stop crying and accept you're just as stupid as MS to go buy a phone just released (L950/XL) with an obviously unfinished OS that wasn't even released to past devices from the L920-L830 and you're bitchin about it, smh. You forced MS hand and that's what you got and now they're trying to fix that and give you what we WP users deserve. I'm honestly pleased with what I'm using currently and it's my daily driver and I'm not sorry one bit and EVERYTHING is turned on in the background and I can leave my phone overnight at 100% charge and get up in the morning and find it in the 90s and that's a L920.

Bring back my half screen contact pic when calling or receiving, gestures - loved not having to touch my phone screen to answer a call just pick and place to my ear, more actionable notifications, for god's sake take out those blank circular tiles in the people hub, they ruin the beauty of my start screen.

Each build is to improve what was in the last to create a more stable usable OS for public release, so far only a select group have had issues but the majority have had favorable experiences and look forward to more. MS continue to improve the OS and I look forward to the final release build and from there the features to be added to it and so and so forth.

Mostafa Tarek

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree on the battery drain part. on the .63 my battery performance was the best since the 10586.00.

also the heating problem was 100% resolved on my lumia 950 XL when i was on the .63. after going to the .71, the phone started to heat up again and the battery drain is worse than ever.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about any of those issues any of you guys are experiencing as I'm using an unlocked refurbished at&t L920 on 10586.107 and I've never had any of those issues. What I do experience is whenever the phone has to restart for any reason e.g. build installs or manual restart it loses assigned ringtones to 1/2 apps and that's it. I've noticed a considerable battery non-drainage since the w10m build from .29 - 107 and with that I'm pleasantly surprised for that given the old hardware in use. What I want is another build or two before the definitive release to the general public and I'm good to go. When that happens I believe that it will be a very stable and very accepted OS and after that what we'll be getting will be the "features" that we look for with each new build we get.

Stop crying and accept you're just as stupid as MS to go buy a phone just released (L950/XL) with an obviously unfinished OS that wasn't even released to past devices from the L920-L830 and you're bitchin about it, smh. You forced MS hand and that's what you got and now they're trying to fix that and give you what we WP users deserve. I'm honestly pleased with what I'm using currently and it's my daily driver and I'm not sorry one bit and EVERYTHING is turned on in the background and I can leave my phone overnight at 100% charge and get up in the morning and find it in the 90s and that's a L920.

Bring back my half screen contact pic when calling or receiving, gestures - loved not having to touch my phone screen to answer a call just pick and place to my ear, more actionable notifications, for god's sake take out those blank circular tiles in the people hub, they ruin the beauty of my start screen.

Each build is to improve what was in the last to create a more stable usable OS for public release, so far only a select group have had issues but the majority have had favorable experiences and look forward to more. MS continue to improve the OS and I look forward to the final release build and from there the features to be added to it and so and so forth.

You're full of **** bro. Maybe if you got off Microsoft's jock you would not sound like a ****** but to each his own.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just came back to say when I first got .71 I had a lot of issues and random reboots. Backed up everything and started back with a hard reset. Took longer to add my emails and install apps than it did to reset the phone. No major issues now. I was very convinced into wanting to roll back to 8.1 (if that's even possible on the 950) because it was so rough. Hard reset seems to have fixed 95% of the issues I had.

I did a hard reset and it seemed to have fixed a lot. The only gripe I still have is batter drain. Still waiting for the firmware update though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss