950 - Hardware problems or OS/firmware?

mmyers750

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
950 - Hardware problems or OS/firmware

After 2 useless chat sessions with Microsoft support, I'm hoping someone here can help. (I've searched the forums and don't see this addressed, but if it has, I apologize in advance.) I'm having multiple problems with my 950, and with the one I bought my daughter at the same time (AT&T). The phone restarts randomly, locks up or has lengthy delays waking up, and won't power back up after shut down unless I either plug it in to power or do a soft reset. Since I'm having similar issues with my daughter's phone, I'm guessing it's an issue with the OS. But the only answer I got from Microsoft is "use the recovery tool", without any explanation for what it was I am to use it for.

I guess I'm just asking for some guidance. Are other folks having the same issues, or does this sound unique to my phone. I hate to go through the hassle of a hard reset/recovery tool if it's it just going to be a waste of time.

Any help would be appreciated.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: 950 - Hardware problems or OS/firmware

when I got my 950 (day 1, at&T) the 1st 3 days were problematic. a hard reset fixed it (with wdrt and yes, I restored my data)

Random restarts are still an issue (OS, not sure if insiders get less or more reboots)
The ONLY lockup I get is sometimes when jumping into settings, but brinking up the task switcher and closing it seems to work fine.

The recovery tool can help as flashing isn't always 100% perfect from factory. A few people noticed better results after using wdrt and following it up with a hard reset.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

There's a new firmware available that fixes a lot of issues, but when at&t will send it out to their users is a whole different story. Plus there's a newer firmware available, so likely they are now testing the newer one and dropped the older one. Hope you guys get it soon. Heck I have the unlocked 950xl and I still haven't gotten the newest firmware.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I turned off the iris scanner and the restarts have gone away on my at&t 950. Running.71 insider preview as well

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

I turned off the iris scanner and the restarts have gone away on my at&t 950. Running.71 insider preview as well

I disabled the iris scanner on mine and it still reboots randomly; battery life is negligibly better.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Latest firmware (01078.00038....) + .71 on Insider fixed the not waking up when pressing the power button. I think it more has to do with the .71 OS build.
On .63 (with .28 firmware) I had like 2 out of 5 failed attempts of waking. Now there is 0 failed attempts.

Grab the latest FW (on carriers, don't know if is available) and latest insider build.

mmyers750

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the input (and all the other responses below). I finally set aside the half day required to do this over the weekend. So far I'm not seeing restarts, but still seeing severe lags in switching apps.

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
In my case, Iris scanner is ON.

It reboots very rarely.

I have another problem: switching off and on the mobile data. Most of the time when I switch on, I don't have internet access. I must restart the device. Strange!

What about you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786