UPDATE: AT&T 950 owners ( USA)

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Dear friends,

I am the owner of a rare and very Unique Lumia 950( Read On)

I purchased it on the 1st day of release from an AT&T Store in Michigan , USA
I am a Software Engineering Student and have owned Windows phones for over 12 YEARS
I AM A FORMER FLASH ROM ***** ( If any of you want to know my experience level and Nerd Level)

PROBLEM: Reason for your attention .
My phone will not accept any changes to the OS beyond .36 - after Continuous Joining and re-joining the Insider Preview Program!!! I have been a member since using my 1520 ( the battery died) so I am very familiar with our devices and read this Forum Dailey.
Below is a list of task done to ignite updates to .71 ( or anything past .36)

• I HAVE DONE 5 HARD RE-SETS
    5 UN INSTALL TO REINSTALL THE INSIDER PROGRAM
    I HAVE TRIED THE WDRT 8 TIMES ( IT tells me I have the latest Firmware , I ignore this and re- install only to get error messages
    I HAVE LEFT THE INSIDER PROGRAM
    JOINED THE FAST RING PROGRAM
    JOINED THE SLOW RING PROGRAM
    REMOVED THE STORAGE CARD( HARD RE SET INSTALL OS )
    REMOVED THE SIM CARD( AND INSTALLED INSIDER PROGRAM THRU WI FI)

I HAVE DONE CLEAN BRAND NEW INSTALLATIONS
    I HAVE DONE BACK-UP RE-INSTALLATIONS

Crazy thing is my phone runs pretty well ( damn well ,actually) but I feel left behind( .36) and I don't have the Firmware that AT&T is holding back on ( and hey, it is what it is )

You guys are extremely bright and have been very helpful. So if you can think of anything I am doing wrong .PLEASE PLEASE POST ???.. As for now I give up ... This 950 is a Strange Beast... I cannot wait to something else drops . Let me decide and experience the upgrades or not.. This Rare 950 is taking away the adventure and experimental fun that I enjoy

Yours Truly,
The Loneliest Kid on the 950 ( At&t ) Block

Elfonzerio

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it makes a difference but I had to select my devices on Microsoft insider web page and agree that I may have problems. I have att and mine did upgrade to .76.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the same exact problem. I was stuck on 0.36. Apparently it was a bug in the early or late versions of that build that prevented upgrade to newer versions.

Just yesterday, I used the WDRT tool and it flashed me back to 0.29 successfully. The weird thing is I had a lot of errors during the download of the image, but I kept retrying until it finished.

The flash was successful. I didn't restore from backup. I downloaded Windows Insider, picked Slow Ring and it picked up the 0.71. Then I did a hard reset and finally restored from backup.

So far working smoothly.

If WDRT isn't working for you, that's reason enough to exchange the phone.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I have an unlocked 950 XL. I had similar issues. After doing the WDRT, I could see the updates, but they failed. I then reset the phone, updated from .29, to .36 without signing into the device at all. I then signed in without restoring from backup. After that I downloaded the Insider app, signed in, installed the .63 build, reset and restored from backup. I was able to update to .71 no problem. I hope that helps!

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Constantreader

I appreciate you and everyone for taking the time to assist.

I FOUND A SOLUTION !!!! Not only was there a bug or firmware issue with my 950 but THE WINDOWS DEVICE RECOVERY TOOL has a Bug that has been documented even reported to Microsoft Community ( online) by displaying ERROR Messages .

I hooked up my 950 to WDRT and it would start to Reinstall the Firmware and OS , Then an Error message would pop up every 5 Min to 30 seconds

I simply Kept selecting " TRY AGAIN" I was insanely persistent ( it kills me when something Technological doesn't work I will drop everything) and kept tapping ON THE " TRY AGAIN " Button at least 68 times!!!! .

6 hours later the entire 2.63 GBs of the Reinstalled OS/ Firmware downloaded . It took seconds to load on my 950 .

Took another 3 hours for the .71 to update and install . And today I am the proud owner of W. I. Preview OS .71 ... Ha ha ha

Its really sad that I had to go through so much ,but I know that "Trial and Error" is the only way to locate a bug or problem and my crazy [" I got ta fix this ****** "] attitude wouldn't let me stop

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
That was basically my experience. It's an issue in downloading the image from the internet and onto the phone. Weird. Were you using a WiFi connection when doing that by any chance?

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes... and it was strong[ Wi Fi Signal] .... When did you purchase your 950.???.. IT may be related to the version we own???

On .71 , It running pretty decent.. ( I 'm cool ) but it ran better and faster prior... I understand it is a Preview and I appreciate MS for providing this option . That Windows Recovery Tools needs to be updated , removed and replaced .

THIS IS A DIFFERENT SUBJECT:

ABOUT 3 weeks ago I made a mistake and briefly ( barely ) allowed my Power adapter Male end submerge in a bowl of milk( True Story) .. I let it dry out for weeks and even took and old soft toothbrush to remove residue from inside. The problem is it will only charge if its plugged in during a Soft Re set.. It will actually charge my phone .. but if I just plug it in normally ,,, Nothing!!!

Has anyone else experienced a simulaur mishap or have any suggestions . I have been using the additional connection cord [ that came with the 950 ] plugged into my 1520 Adapter for charging . Hey it works :sweaty:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism